Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.IIa

Andy J

5 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Nice Looking Innards Andy

ย 

ย 

ย 

George

Thanks George I have to admit when I was building and detailing the cockpit i did wonder if all the effort was going to be worthwhile. However with the cockpit installed in the fuselage I have to say that imo the time taken was definitely worth it as although the cockpit is closed in you can actually see more than I thought you would ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hamden said:

ย 

Very nice Andy cockpit has really brought this to life

ย 

ย  Stay safeย  ย  ย  ย Roger

Thanks Roger it wasn't until I finally got the cockpit in place that I realised how it sort of brings everything together if you know what I mean ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Longbow said:

That's looking superb, Andy !!

Nice you see you tackling real models :D

ย 

ย 

Thanks for the comment Lee good to hear from you mate ๐Ÿ‘. I'm loving the aircraft build so far it's different and it's challenging but best of all it's great fun ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Good looking cockpit Andyย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

Looks like a nicely engineered kit too.ย 

ย 

ย 

Thanks for the comment much appreciated ๐Ÿ‘. I don't have much experience with aircraft kits but based on what I've built so far this kit goes together really well. There's no room for error when building the cockpit parts and with hindsight i would have checked the fitment to the fuselage a lot more than I did however it's in place now and I've picked up some useful knowledge for future builds ๐Ÿ™‚

17 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good fella, you will soon have this knocked into shape.

Chris

Cheers Chris it's great fun mate a real voyage of discovery and I'm loving it ๐Ÿ‘. I've been trying out a number of different types of gloss varnish and i think I've found one that works for me. It's the mr hobby aqueous gloss clear and it seems to spray really well through the airbrush ๐Ÿ™‚. Like I say I'm happy to try out new methods and I'm going to need to practice quite a few during this build ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

This is coming on very well indeed.ย  If the rest of the airframe comes out this well you'll be laughing.

Thanks I'm happy with the results so far. As for the rest of the build well I guess time will tell but I'm certainly up for it ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

On 05/12/2021 at 03:39, Andy J said:

So I have completed the cockpit and I'm happy with the way it looks. I've already learnt quite a few things but the main one is that these builds cannot be rushed. The next step involves the two halves of the fuselage and hopefully everything will line up as it should. Here's a few pic's of today's progressย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

I'm looking forward to the next stage of the build and I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying myself atm....this may be the first of a few aircraft builds passing over my bench in the coming months ๐Ÿ™‚. Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

ย 

Which instrument panel is that? Decals? Their optional photo etch? Or an aftermarket?ย 

6 minutes ago, Gidge said:

ย 

Which instrument panel is that? Decals? Their optional photo etch? Or an aftermarket?ย 

It's the Eduard photo etch option that comes with the kit.ย 

• Like 1

So it's been a while since my last update due to work commitments but I'm moving forward steadily. I now have the main component's in place and although some area's look a little rough atm i think once the primer is applied things will look a whole lot better. I have a question or two for the experienced aircraft moddelers out there the first being...what's the best way to mask out the cockpit area before I start the painting ๐Ÿค”...and when I come to paint the camouflage pattern on the upper wings and fuselage i plan to paint the camo scheme free hand. The thing is i can't see how the camo scheme lines up beneath the decals on the wings and fuselage so does anyone have a pic of one of there own Spitfire builds prior to decalling a sort of reference guide that I could use please ๐Ÿค”. There's plenty of pics on the Internet but obviously they all show the decals in place and I need to see underneath them if you get what I mean ๐Ÿ™‚. Oh and im referring to the type B scheme for my build. Here's a couple of pics of today's progressย 

ย 

spacer.png

spacer.png

ย 

So that's where the build stands as of today and I should be able to make more progress during the week. Thanks for looking back soon ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Andy all together,ย  I don't mask mine as I brush paint so can't assist there, but see some modellersjust add masking tape over the opening and trim it so it doesn't overhang.ย ย 

Good luck with your painting fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris I'm just happy with the fact that it resembles a Spitfire tbh ๐Ÿ™‚. Normally with a car build i have all the answers but the different stages of an aircraft build are all new to me so it's taking a while to sort myself out....but I'll get there....eventually ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gundylunch said:

Try using small pieces of foam rubber placed inside (carefully ) they usually will expand back to shape when squeezed into any void area.

Thanks for that I have a sponge in the garage i reckon I could cut that up into pieces and try out your idea ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Is this what you mean @Andy J?

ย 

20200715142847-031e89db-me.jpg

ย 

20200715142847-fd895f9a-me.jpg

ย 

20200715142848-8fb62de3-me.jpg

ย 

I don't know if this is your "B" scheme.ย 

Yep perfect mate exactly what I was looking for .......thanks Jeroen ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

When masking the cockpit Andy I always fit and fettle the windscreen to make sure it sits right before priming. On a Spit I also do the same with the fixed rear clear portion, the mask the panels so the frames can be painted - if the interior frames are black and you aren't using black primer then obvs paint them black first - I use a brush. From memory they are black on a Spit but might be interior green. Also before priming I mask the back of the front windscreen and front of the back part with masking tape carefully trimmed to shape. The open part of the 'pit I fill with damp tissue paper that when dry seals the 'pit nicely - I also mask radial engines that way. Hope that makes sense! :)

ย 

B scheme camo drawing here;

ย 

https://www.super-hobby.com/zdjecia/5/6/8/26960_2_AMLM49011_1.jpg

ย 

Airframe is looking good mate!

ย 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

When masking the cockpit Andy I always fit and fettle the windscreen to make sure it sits right before priming. On a Spit I also do the same with the fixed rear clear portion, the mask the panels so the frames can be painted - if the interior frames are black and you aren't using black primer then obvs paint them black first - I use a brush. From memory they are black on a Spit but might be interior green. Also before priming I mask the back of the front windscreen and front of the back part with masking tape carefully trimmed to shape. The open part of the 'pit I fill with damp tissue paper that when dry seals the 'pit nicely - I also mask radial engines that way. Hope that makes sense! :)

ย 

B scheme camo drawing here;

ย 

https://www.super-hobby.com/zdjecia/5/6/8/26960_2_AMLM49011_1.jpg

ย 

Airframe is looking good mate!

ย 

Keith

Well having read this 100 times the penny has finally dropped thanks Keith. Would you happen to know if there is a mask set available for the camo scheme mate ๐Ÿค”ย 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Well having read this 100 times the penny has finally dropped thanks Keith. Would you happen to know if there is a mask set available for the camo scheme mate ๐Ÿค”ย 

ย 

That's what the drawing is from Andy. Hannants have them but they're out of stock at the mo;

ย 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLM49011?result-token=Uw8OV

ย 

K

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

ย 

That's what the drawing is from Andy. Hannants have them but they're out of stock at the mo;

ย 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLM49011?result-token=Uw8OV

ย 

K

Yep can't find them masks anywhere mate ๐Ÿ™„