Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.IIa

Andy J

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Andy, no worries fella, remember it's your model , so do what you want to anyway. If you type in Spitfire undersides on Google  you get a few scrolling down and if you look at somexwartime pics of EN951  you will see the extreme streaking. 

Chris

Cheers Chris I'm off to have a look now 👍 

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Stunning looking Spit Andy, a nice addition to your collection

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger still a bit left to do yet but I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍

8 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

To echo @bigbadbadge's comment, those Merlins dropped oil like Snoop drops beats, so go wild with the underside streaking.

I've now got the reference pic's of the staining plus other areas of interest so I will be adding these in due course 🙂👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Remember do what you feel comfortable with Andy.

Chris 

No problem Chris I shall wear my new modelling slippers for extra comfort 😆👍. Anyway I like to use oil paints for weathering and I reckon they will be spot on for creating the effect I'm looking for 🙂👍

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

No problem Chris I shall wear my new modelling slippers for extra comfort 😆👍. Anyway I like to use oil paints for weathering and I reckon they will be spot on for creating the effect I'm looking for 🙂👍

New modelling slippers😄 I like it.   I got a pair for Christmas too, memory games ones too, very comfy, I am getting old!!!

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 12:29 PM, Andy J said:

Ok so tbf I've just found a tutorial from Eduard which explains how they are supposed to work which states remove the decal film after 10 hours. Why don't they include this information in the kit 🤨. Anyway I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens....this could end in tears 😢 

It is not in the instructions because the decals were an accidental mistake. When Eduard switched from Cartograf decals their first in-house decals were tearing, so they put a thicker clear coat overtop.

Months after selling kits with these decals a modeler discovered this thick layer could be pealed off after the decals were fully seated and cured. But they are still fragile to deal with. Eduard doesn’t handle criticism well so I doubt they will go back to Cartograf, I wish they would, I’d still pay for Cartograf decals included in kits.

Enjoyable build, great work.

I hope all is well with your father.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, Andy J said:

Ok so I have an unexpected update due to finishing work early 🙂. Having looked at the decal options on the new sheet I noticed that there wasn't any aircraft included with the black underwing 🤔. So I decided to do away with the black and make the whole under surface Sky colour which fits into most of the options I now have. Here's a couple of pics to show the change 

spacer.png

Before 

spacer.png

And after 🙂

The repaint has worked out well and like I say I now have a few different aircraft to consider. This is the new decal sheet that I purchased from Hannants and I have to say that although they weren't cheap they do look rather splendid 🙂

spacer.png

They are also printed by cartograf which gives me great confidence that they will lay down really well 🙂. I've also added a little weathering to the exhausts although I will fettle them a bit more once they are in position. 

spacer.png

I now need to let everything dry properly before applying the decals but I think this was a necessary step to take and I'm glad I decided to change the colour. Only a small session today but a very enjoyable one nonetheless and with a couple of days away from work in front of me I'm looking forward to making more progress very soon. Thanks for looking see you later 🙂👍

Good save on the decals and good choice on the replacements, a good friend of mine produced/researched that decal sheet with Eagle Cals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scooby said:

It is not in the instructions because the decals were an accidental mistake. When Eduard switched from Cartograf decals their first in-house decals were tearing, so they put a thicker clear coat overtop.

Months after selling kits with these decals a modeler discovered this thick layer could be pealed off after the decals were fully seated and cured. But they are still fragile to deal with. Eduard doesn’t handle criticism well so I doubt they will go back to Cartograf, I wish they would, I’d still pay for Cartograf decals included in kits.

Enjoyable build, great work.

I hope all is well with your father.

Hi Scooby thanks for the comment and my father is as well as can be expected all things considered 🙂👍. As for the decals well give me regular cartograf any day of the week much more user friendly imo. When the company manufacturing the decals tells you to practice with spare decals before applying them to your kit alarm bells start to ring. I think they have made an error in producing there own decals but that's just my own opinion based on the issues I had regarding this build 🙂👍

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Nice job Andy, I've not done a wingy thing for ages, but yours really does look a cracker...👍

Ed

Hiya Ed long time no speak mate I hope you and your family are happy and well 🙂. I woke up one morning and decided I had to build a Spitfire so I asked for kit recommendations purchased the kit and here we are 🙂. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself Ed and learning a number of new skills as I go. I think I could be building aircraft for a while now Ed and as usual I have a few aircraft kits in the stash just waiting to be built 🙂👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hiya Ed long time no speak mate I hope you and your family are happy and well 🙂. I woke up one morning and decided I had to build a Spitfire so I asked for kit recommendations purchased the kit and here we are 🙂. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself Ed and learning a number of new skills as I go. I think I could be building aircraft for a while now Ed and as usual I have a few aircraft kits in the stash just waiting to be built 🙂👍

Don't blame you Andy my friend,  I do like the Eduard kit's they are smashing to build, may try again one day once I get to do all the Miniart kit's I have in my stash...😁

all the best

Ed

• Thanks 1

So another productive session at the bench and I've managed to apply the matt varnish coat and add some weathering to the upper surfaces. Now I wasn't looking for a super matt coat just enough to knock off the glossy finish and I'm happy with the results. As for the weathering well I never set out to create a factory fresh Spitfire or an over weathered one I was actually looking for somewhere in between and I think that's what I've achieved. It was also nice to remove the foam from the cockpit and I'm pleased to report that everything has survived intact. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I need to let this set up overnight and then tomorrow I can start weathering the underside. I'm hoping to have the Spitfire finished this week so I can make a start on my next aircraft build. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Dunno if it's your lighting Andy, but the starboard fuselage side looks much shinier than the rest of the airframe?

K

I can confirm it's the lighting Keith the whole airframe is uniform where the matt coat is concerned 🙂👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Wow, you've really stepped her up a gear!

Thanks JRK when I started this build this was more or less the kind of finish I had in mind so I'm very pleased with the results so far 🙂👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is looking Great Andy, a nicely weathered airframe fella.  I like it.  You should be on target to finish this week, what's the next one?

Apologies if you said before, I an getting on a bit !!!

Chris

Cheers Chris it's difficult to decide when enough weathering has been applied but I think as far as the topside is concerned I'm about there other than final fettling at the end of the build. As for the next build well I change my mind every day so I'm still not sure tbh 🤔 👍

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Cheers Chris it's difficult to decide when enough weathering has been applied but I think as far as the topside is concerned I'm about there other than final fettling at the end of the build. As for the next build well I change my mind every day so I'm still not sure tbh 🤔 👍

I know exactly what you mean,  I change my mind all the time too when it comes to choosing a subject to model. Glad it's not just me then!!!

Chris

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I know exactly what you mean,  I change my mind all the time too when it comes to choosing a subject to model. Glad it's not just me then!!!

Chris

Definitely not just you mate but I have managed to narrow it down to 6 contenders and I think I'm going to give each one a number and draw from a hat. I know that sounds a bit extreme but other than that I'll still be deciding this time next year 🙄👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1