Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.IIa

Andy J

So I haven't had much spare time to spend on the Spitfire today but I have managed to finish off the post shading on the upper and lower surfaces. I only wanted a subtle difference in the paint shades and I'm happy with the results and the overall effect so far 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job when I get the time is to apply a gloss coat over the entire model ready for some washes and oils etc. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

And, she's looking fabulous, sir.  I can't wait to see her finished.

Thanks JRK there's nothing like a positive comment to convince me I'm on the right track. Cheers buddy 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Definitely on the right track Andy, looks great

Chris

Thanks Chris steadily making progress and moving towards the finishing line 🙂👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent - really nicely done Andy!

K

Cheers Keith seems to be taking ages tbh but I guess that's the difference between building car's and aircraft 🙂👍

• Like 1

@Andy J you have a lovely Spitfire happening here. I've been away from this thread since you were painting the cockpit. It has come a long way. Well done.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wlad said:

@Andy J you have a lovely Spitfire happening here. I've been away from this thread since you were painting the cockpit. It has come a long way. Well done.

Cheers,

Wlad

Thanks Wlad I appreciate your comment 👍 

2 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

That’s looking really good 👍 

Steve

Thanks Steve it's been a totally different process to the car's I usually build but very enjoyable indeed. I now have a few more aircraft kits in the stash but trying to decide which one to build next is not easy 🤔 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Steve it's been a totally different process to the car's I usually build but very enjoyable indeed. I now have a few more aircraft kits in the stash but trying to decide which one to build next is not easy 🤔 👍

It’s always a difficult choice Andy to decide on the next one.

I mean, should it be a Spitfire I, or a Spitfire V, or a Spitfire IX, or a Spitfire…..

😆

Steve

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

It’s always a difficult choice Andy to decide on the next one.

I mean, should it be a Spitfire I, or a Spitfire V, or a Spitfire IX, or a Spitfire…..

😆

Steve

Or even a lXc 😉👍

• Haha 1

So an update on the Spitfire build and at last I've got time to add the gloss coat required for further weathering to be applied. This has worked well though I kept the mix of gloss varnish and levelling thinner very lean as I was concerned about a possible decal reaction if the clear was applied too hot. At the moment the result looks ok and I don't forsee any decal issues arising from the clear so fingers crossed on that one 🤞

spacer.png

spacer.png

In order to avoid any possibility of runs occurring I devised the following method of holding the Spitfire level for a while whilst giving the clear a chance to dry slightly. However my idea although it works has catastrophe written all over it especially if the clamp should slip so once I was happy that the clear had dried enough I removed the clamp and allowed the build to stand vertically. 

spacer.png

And finally a pic of the end result although 24 hrs drying time is now required before adding any further weathering 

spacer.png

And that's where the build stands atm though I'm going to have a look through the remaining parts and see if there's any more work necessary. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 7

So an unexpected further update for today and with the gloss coat drying quicker than I thought I've been able to add a wash to the Spitfire upper and lower surfaces. I haven't tried to highlight every rivet and panel line because looking at a few reference pic's this wasn't how the real aircraft looked. I suppose I've made the Spitfire look how I feel it should be whether that's correct or not I'm not sure but I'm happy with the results 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll leave this alone now and apply a matt varnish coat tomorrow then a little more weathering and I should then be close to the finishing line. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 10

Looking very nice indeed Andy, looks just how a Spitfire should look to me too! Only other weathering I personally would at would be a bit of exhaust staining, some paint chipping and dirt around the port wing root and slight smudging around the gunports (I rarely bother weathering the undersides as I stick my models to a base and never turn them over!! :) )

K

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Looking very nice indeed Andy, looks just how a Spitfire should look to me too! Only other weathering I personally would at would be a bit of exhaust staining, some paint chipping and dirt around the port wing root and slight smudging around the gunports (I rarely bother weathering the undersides as I stick my models to a base and never turn them over!! :) )

K

Yep I agree with your weathering suggestions Keith and they will all be added very soon 🙂👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That Spitfire is looking absolutely splendid now.

Very nicely done.

Looking forward to the finish now.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair I had a really good session today and I've moved forward further than I expected. Actually after the matt coat I can remove the foam from the cockpit it seems ages since I last saw inside it , just hope everything is how I left it and nothings been broken 🙂👍

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Any the Spitfire looks absolutely gorgeous fella, great work,  when you have done the other weathering should look  absolutely sublime.  

Are you doing the oil staining underneath too?

Chris 

Thanks Chris if I can find some kind of reference pic for the oil staining underneath then yes I will add it to the build. Thing is I don't really want to guess where the staining should be and although I've found some decent pics of the topside i can't seem to find any of the underside 🤔

• Like 1

Hi Andy, no worries fella, remember it's your model , so do what you want to anyway. If you type in Spitfire undersides on Google  you get a few scrolling down and if you look at somexwartime pics of EN951  you will see the extreme streaking. 

Chris

• Like 1