Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.IIa

Andy J

8 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

That could well have been me, Chris, as I use CC's thinners on both their own paints and Humbrol's.  It works a treat for me.

Thanks JRK, I am not  going mad then !!!😄 I  will certainly be giving that a try too.

• Haha 2

Nice start Andy, really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

Obviously misread the box mistaking Supermarine for Triumph - does anyone kit a Triumph Spitfire?

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1

So today's update and I can now see some progress with the cockpit parts. I've done the best I can to make the seat colour a little closer to what it should be and I'm much happier now with how it looks. I've also added some weathering to the parts and for a first attempt i think they look ok. The two tanks are now silver but I haven't fitted them yet as the paint isn't totally dry. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have the rest of the parts to complete the cockpit ready for primer and paint and so hopefully i can get this part of the build finished the weekend. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Great looking seat now

Thanks there was only so much I could do with the base colour but it does look better now 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

A handy reference to have if you're interested in Spitfires is a PDF that was made from the ponderings from this site of the late Edward Brooks. I have it but can't post to this site but someone should be able to set you up

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

A handy reference to have if you're interested in Spitfires is a PDF that was made from the ponderings from this site of the late Edward Brooks. I have it but can't post to this site but someone should be able to set you up

That sounds like a great idea not that I'm trying to build a perfect Spitfire though because I don't have either the skills or the knowledge but that would be a great source of information 🙂👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

'Pit is looking really good Andy, all coming along really well now! 

You can download the sadly missed Edgar's Spitfire notes here;

https://www.jonbius.com/edgar-brooks-spitfire-notes/

K

Nice one Keith thanks mate just downloaded them 👍

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

This is coming along nicely; as mentioned by @fubar57 you've nailed that seat pretty convincingly.

Thanks for the comment 👍. I had to do something with the seat and like i say I'm much happier with it now 🙂👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ah yes that looks great Andy, seat looks better, the undercarriage lever and housing on the starboard side is black, it's  your model though fella and this is in no way a criticism. 

Great work 

Chris

Hiya Chris you are of course correct regarding the undercarriage lever and housing once again i followed the kit instructions and once again they are wrong. If I can get a brush to the part painting it black shouldn't be an issue I'll have a look tomorrow. I don't mind anyone pointing out the mistakes I make that's part of the learning curve and like I say it won't take long to put right. @keefr22 wanted silver bottles and they are now silver you've mentioned a black undercarriage lever and housing and you shall have them....see I'm a very accommodating chap....good lad I am 🙂👍

• Like 4

So I have completed the cockpit and I'm happy with the way it looks. I've already learnt quite a few things but the main one is that these builds cannot be rushed. The next step involves the two halves of the fuselage and hopefully everything will line up as it should. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm looking forward to the next stage of the build and I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying myself atm....this may be the first of a few aircraft builds passing over my bench in the coming months 🙂. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 15

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed Andy I like it.  Great work fella. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris I'm just relieved to have got this far with no major issues. I'm looking forward to seeing the cockpit fitted inside the fuselage then I'll know everything lines up correctly 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Ooooffff.

That is pretty spectacular.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks for the comment Alistair very much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Very tidy mate, really good looking 'pit! Taking to wingy things like a duck to water....!! :)

K

Thanks Keith a long way to go yet but I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍

• Like 2

So I know have the cockpit installed into the fuselage but it's a very tight fit with virtually no wiggle room at all. I think my lack of experience was probably half the problem but with a little fettling I eventually managed to get everything in position. I've taped the two halves of the fuselage together for now because I ran out of bench time and although there's a gap showing in the pic's gentle pressure and a little Tamiya thin cement will soon sort that out. I'm happy with the results so far and look forward to the next session though work commitments will keep me away from the bench for a while. Here's a couple of pics of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

And so that's the point I've reached so far and again I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying this build even if I feel like I'm making hard work of it. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11