Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.IIa

Andy J

And so it begins. A couple of weeks ago I asked on here for some recommendations regarding a decent Spitfire kit for me to have a crack at and I eventually decided to go for the one below 

spacer.png

Building aircraft is way out of my comfort zone so the aim of this build is to at least get it finished and to try and make a half decent job of it. 

So today I've made a start...well after I'd studied the instructions for ages...and although I haven't really achieved much at least I'm up and running. I'm not very good with photo etch tbh but I will try and use it when I can after all there's not that much in this kit and I need all the practice I can get. Having looked through the box it would seem to be a well engineered kit and although I find myself triple checking the instructions they do seem to be of a very good quality. If this were a car kit I'd be well on my way by now but it's all alien to me atm so I think this build may take a while. Here's a pic of my progress so far which in fairness isn't much, but like I said earlier at least I've made a start 

spacer.png

Yep I know hardly worth a photo but I'll crack on tomorrow and hopefully get some painting done. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 14

Cheers Chris I'm looking forward to the build I just need to get used to the different stages of an aircraft kit but I think for now I'll build a bit and then paint a bit if you get what I mean 🙂👍

• Like 1

Hi Andy 

No worries fella take your time and you will soon get used to it, enjoy it too, that's one of the most important things. The Eduard Spitfires look very nice, I should probably have a few more but have others of the type , the newer Airfix ones are very nice indeed and have a few of them!!!

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Andy 

No worries fella take your time and you will soon get used to it, enjoy it too, that's one of the most important things. The Eduard Spitfires look very nice, I should probably have a few more but have others of the type , the newer Airfix ones are very nice indeed and have a few of them!!!

Chris

I only have 4 aircraft kits atm and I'm doing my best to not buy anymore until those are built.....however with my track record I'll probably have a few more soon 🙂👍

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I only have 4 aircraft kits

I only have 4.........hundred of the things too!!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out Andy - one tip - it won't look right if you 2K clear it.....!! :)

K

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I only have 4.........hundred of the things too!!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out Andy - one tip - it won't look right if you 2K clear it.....!! :)

K

Hiya Keith the 2K clear has been locked away for a while mate I'm going to have to experiment with a few new products methinks 😉👍. That's the exciting part for me and I have no idea how this build will turn out but.....it's gonna be fun and that's what it's all about 🙂👍

• Like 2

I think i must be making hard work of this build as although I've spent a good few hours at the bench what you see below is all I have to show so far for my efforts. 

spacer.png

Still progress has been made i suppose I think I need to get my head around the fact that aircraft builds take a lot longer than the car kits I'm used to. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Andy

Yes Aircraft builds definitely take longer I have an Anson build on at the mo among others that has taken me over 6 months!!!

Great work on the internals fella.

Chris

Cheers Chris but the internals are way too clean cut atm and the seat colour is hideous at best. However I'll add some weathering effects tomorrow to everything and hopefully it will all look a lot better 🙂👍

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Andy

I use Humbrol enamels in all my builds and brush paint.  I found a great match for the seat is Humbrol 133 which is a brown colour with a red tinge and in my opinion it looks right. 

Chris

Cheers Chris I'll bear that in mind for future builds. I've never used any enamel paints and I have rarely brush painted anything either so it's something I will have to look into. Do you thin the enamel paints Chris and if so what would you thin them with 🤔

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

aircraft builds take a lot longer

They can feel like they're taking forever, especially at the start when you're spending hours fiddling around with all the cockpit detailing etc.  Going by the pictures you have already posted this will turn out very nicely indeed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

They can feel like they're taking forever, especially at the start when you're spending hors fiddling around with all the cockpit detailing etc.  Going by the pictures you have already posted this will turn out very nicely indeed.

Thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the build it's just really different to what I'm used to. I painted the seat with the colour that the kit instructions stated but I immediately realised it didn't look right but I'll try and change that tomorrow. Once I get my head straight and get into a pattern I'll be fine with it 🙂👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Cheers Chris I'll bear that in mind for future builds. I've never used any enamel paints and I have rarely brush painted anything either so it's something I will have to look into. Do you thin the enamel paints Chris and if so what would you thin them with 🤔

Yes I thin with Humbrol thinners generally  although if using Colourcoats enamels (Sovereign Hobbies) I thin with their Naptha thinners. I did see someone on here say the Naptha thinners are good with the humbrol paints.

I don't have a set ratio I just dip a brush in and drip the thinners into the paint until I think it's right, between 8-12 drips or sometimes more. Then use a wide flat brush to paint an aircraft .

I find it very therapeutic. 

I have never airbrushed and the thought of it scares me!!!

Chris

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I painted the seat with the colour that the kit instructions stated but I immediately realised it didn't look right but I'll try and change that tomorrow.

It's annoying when the colour calls give a less-than-accurate representation, but I reckon in this case a bot of dirtying-up will sort you out, or maybe a thin-ish coat of something a bit browner.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

A Mk.V seat from the Spitfire site

01__15_020.jpg

Thanks for the pic it's a great reference shot to work with 👍. I doubt I can match it exactly but I should be able to make the colour look a bit better than it does atm 🙂👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

It's annoying when the colour calls give a less-than-accurate representation, but I reckon in this case a bot of dirtying-up will sort you out, or maybe a thin-ish coat of something a bit browner.

That's part of the problem tbh but as I didn't know any better i just went for it. However the real lesson here is if I'm not sure then all I need to do is find a reference pic of the actual seat like the one provided by @fubar57 time to stop being lazy methinks 🤔. As you say a bit of weathering should help i certainly need to tone down the red colour as it looks awful 🙄👍

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes I thin with Humbrol thinners generally  although if using Colourcoats enamels (Sovereign Hobbies) I thin with their Naptha thinners. I did see someone on here say the Naptha thinners are good with the humbrol paints.

I don't have a set ratio I just dip a brush in and drip the thinners into the paint until I think it's right, between 8-12 drips or sometimes more. Then use a wide flat brush to paint an aircraft .

I find it very therapeutic. 

I have never airbrushed and the thought of it scares me!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris I'll grab a few enamel paints and some thinner and have a play with them 🙂👍. I don't think you need an airbrush mate I've seen some of your builds and they look superb to me 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I did see someone on here say the Naptha thinners are good with the humbrol paints.

That could well have been me, Chris, as I use CC's thinners on both their own paints and Humbrol's.  It works a treat for me.

• Like 2

Well Andy you know how long my builds take, so you've got a long way to go to slow down to my build rate....!! 🤣

One other thing when we're talking about colours, the two joined 'bottles' in the bottom of your pic are I think the oxygen ones and from memory they should be silver. 

Good start though, nice neat paint again!

K

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Well Andy you know how long my builds take, so you've got a long way to go to slow down to my build rate....!! 🤣

One other thing when we're talking about colours, the two joined 'bottles' in the bottom of your pic are I think the oxygen ones and from memory they should be silver. 

Good start though, nice neat paint again!

K

Jeez have I painted anything the right colour 🙄. Cheers Keith it would seem I have a lot to learn 👍 

@Andy J they are compressed air bottles, and should be silver. The oxygen one is black and goes on the right side, just behind the seat. Don't worry too much about the colours, the Spitfire cockpit is cramped and many things won't be seen clearly.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 2