Why? - just for fun and don't require an answer.

bootneck

21 hours ago, Mr T said:

In a similar vein, why do TV channels (Channel 4, I am looking at you) feel it necessary to subtitle local dialects? It seems to affect northern English accents most. I know the media exist in some sort of bubble bounded by the North and South Circular roads, but they are not that difficult to understand (OK Barnsley English can be a little more taxing). As a non northerner living in the midst Yorkshire folk, I have been OK. 

+1. Though they DO take perverse pleasure in telling us we're Southern.........cheek!

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

WHAT! You're not a Tyke? I thought that that was what the T stood for.

John.

Lived in Yorkshire (Sheffield and Leeds) for fifty years this years and married to a North Yorkshire lass for 32 years and so no, not a real Tyke. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Lived in Yorkshire (Sheffield and Leeds) for fifty years this years and married to a North Yorkshire lass for 32 years and so no, not a real Tyke. 

After all these years Mr T i think tha' can consider thee sen adopted! 😀

A'll sithee

Steve

• Haha 2

When I have a large and spacious workbench - a luxury afforded to me because I build stuff for a living - why do I always end up working in a tiny space right at the front?

If nothing else, it’s tempting the carpet monster.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I know what you mean,  my bench is like a rainbow.  The first arc emanates about 8 inches from my belly and is the work area.  The second arc is another 2 inches and holds an orbit of biscuit crumbs and coffee mugs, and the remaining arc, of approx 3ft in depth, contains a galaxy of sprues, paints, brushes and instructions sheets........  none of which are relevant to the model in front of me. :undecided:

Mike

• Haha 11

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it that every time I schedule some time to cut leather hides on my out-side work bench the weather turns wet, windy and otherwise nasty? and when I don't have time the weather is bright, warm(-ish) and dry?

• Haha 3

Why did the bbc bring back bbc3 on FreeSat and still start programmes at 7pm,the mind boggles not to mention me having to pay for a licence...Why can't they use bbb3 + 4 as channels to use properly instead of faffing around as usual...

On 10/01/2022 at 09:09, Jon Bryon said:

Why do people insist on driving in lane 2 of 3 (or 4) or in lane 3 of 4 without overtaking anything? I keep asking them and have yet to get an answer that makes any sense.

If it's you, stop it :)

Jon

I actually asked a rather rotund colleague why she was sailing up an empty 3-lane M53 in her company car in the middle lane, and her reply was that she'd only have to pull out again eventually.  How lazy can you be not to want to turn the power-assisted steering wheel in front of you?  Mind you, there's a corner near me that people regularly come round on the wrong side of the road, even in tiny-wee cars, so I think it's pretty common.  If I can manage to keep to my side of the road in a big long Passat, you can do it in your Fiat 500 if you put your mind to it.  Just be brave! :dull:

I know that doesn't qualify as an answer that makes sense, and that I'm a long way behind (blame it on the anaesthetic on Friday :hypnotised: ), but it's a question that befuddles me that it's even needed, but there you go. :shrug:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike said:

I actually asked a rather rotund colleague why she was sailing up an empty 3-lane M53 in her company car in the middle lane, and her reply was that she'd only have to pull out again eventually.  How lazy can you be not to want to turn the power-assisted steering wheel in front of you?  Mind you, there's a corner near me that people regularly come round on the wrong side of the road, even in tiny-wee cars, so I think it's pretty common.  If I can manage to keep to my side of the road in a big long Passat, you can do it in your Fiat 500 if you put your mind to it.  Just be brave! :dull:

I know that doesn't qualify as an answer that makes sense, and that I'm a long way behind (blame it on the anaesthetic on Friday :hypnotised: ), but it's a question that befuddles me that it's even needed, but there you go. :shrug:

I used to work with a nutter gentleman who had an old mini. The works car park had one space that was really narrow,  and no one ever parked in it. It was just wide enough for the mini, but left no room to get out. As he was invariably the last one to turn up, he would stop in front of the space, get out, lock the car and then push it into the space, opening the boot to remove the brick which he put under the back wheel.  An ealy version of Mr Bean?  Anyhow I digress. Driving up the M1 he would change lanes about every mile, almost at random, so he used all three. Why? "to wear them out evenly" 😧

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

After 11 pages of this, I'm ready to unsubscribe from this topic, but why do I find myself still coming back for every new post?! 😉

Just like the incompetent officer, who you'd follow out of a sense of morbid curiosity :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sometimes think Why about the LM series of F-35 aircraft and this was before the recent accidents and from its very origins that were first made public all those years ago.

Being from the UK and at time of new carrier concept that was long overdue and before any steel was cut, felt sure we'd keep the catapult system and perhaps just buy Super Hornets ... what more do we need from the UK who already punch above our weight in Nato and military spending? and then design our carriers with this in mind, but the MOD know better than me of course (but history does sometime show otherwise) no nuclear power either for the carriers, so logistics of re-fuelling must come into it and add to costs too?

Please don't get me wrong, as an Aircraft enthusiast the F-35's and especially the B as a Harrier enthusiast are amazing examples of evolving Aviation tech, but are they practical? will they be truly battle proven? (part of me hopes not of course) please go easy on me with this guys, am just a fairly casual enthusiast about this stuff and not nearly as knowledgable as some here, but it does strike me. and with Occams Razor thought in mind, just how much more affordable UK FA/18s and two fully functional carriers with nuclear power reactors could have been to us UK tax payers.

The MOD and the US military can and do make mistakes, some are more costly and devastating than others, history shows this history has a weird way of repeating itself too! Just saying :)

Hope this is not too political, I certainly don't mean it to be, but also, if we had chosen a different concept, 2 large nuclear powered carriers with angled decks and catapults and reliable well proven Super Hornets, just think of the modelling opportunity's for RAF and Navy Super Hornets we could have :)

Just thinking outside of the box ... possibly :)

Just Why Though? This dilemma always perplexes me.

• Like 1

My local council has my name on its records and has for a long time. Last year it got an update to the electoral register.It has also recently received an online form from me about a council tax update/re-jig. So why have they spelled my name completely wrong on their response??

On 12/30/2021 at 12:43 PM, Admiral Puff said:

Why did I just put a Swann-Morton No 11 sized slash in my left index finger, making the same blunder as I've made hundreds of times before and adding to the hundreds of like-caused scars already there? 

And why have I just done it AGAIN!?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, GrahamS said:

Why, and when, did Kiev become Kyiv? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Graham

Probably about the same time that English speakers started to pronounce Port au Prince the way the French do. Why? We don't call Paris, Paree.

John.

15 hours ago, GrahamS said:

Graham

Kiev is derived from Russian

Kyiv is derived from Ukranian

Same as Lvov and Lviv

No different from Gdansk (Polish) and Danzig (German)

Edited by John Tapsell
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, GrahamS said:

Graham

Since Ukraine became the West's Eastern European gangster state of choice?

But do they know how to pronounce Culross?

• Like 3