Why? - just for fun and don't require an answer.

bootneck

38 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

Why, when you select subtitles on the tv, are they displayed in the middle of the screen.

That is so the broadcaster has a place to push on screen advertising at the bottom during the show. 

cheers,

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Why subtitles at all?  To read them you have stop watching the actors act and the text is usually about 50% of what’s being said anyway. To my mind good dubbing is preferable anytime

I was mainly thinking of English language programmes - I’m a bit deaf and the wife’s from Thailand and reads English better than she hears (well, never seems to understand anything I say). 

I can’t be doing with dubbing - I hate it when the lips don’t match what is being said.

Graham

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GrahamS said:

I can’t be doing with dubbing - I hate it when the lips don’t match what is being said.

Graham

Graham

as a court lawyer I see that every day at work with clients and witnesses

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

Graham

as a court lawyer I see that every day at work with clients and witnesses

😂😂😂 I work for the police, I know exactly what you mean!

Graham

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, JohnT said:

Why subtitles at all?  To read them you have stop watching the actors act and the text is usually about 50% of what’s being said anyway. To my mind good dubbing is preferable anytime

Even good dubbing is very obvious due to natural differences in language, I personally find subtitles far less intrusive to my enjoyment of a film/programme. I am a very fast reader though which helps.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, JohnT said:

No offence but to your way of thinking is no one's deaf...

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

No offence but to your way of thinking is no one's deaf...

not quite

on my tv anyway you can put up subtitles if you want them

at least on some programs 

with modern tech there should be options to cater for preferences and needs. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

They may speak good English but, with heavy accents /dialects which make it hard to understand sometimes. Subtitles are, in my view,  a didtinct blessing.😊

Yeah! Rab C. Nesbit and Trainspotting to name but two.

John.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

That's certainly true but, I have another reason for preference for subtitles.

There are a lot of programmes and films where English is not necessarily the native language of some of the cast.

They may speak good English but, with heavy accents /dialects which make it hard to understand sometimes. Subtitles are, in my view,  a didtinct blessing.😊

John

And I can think of a few modern American and UK movies where the actor and director combined think mumbling and background noise should render the dialogue inaudible. 

My original post was really to suggest that good dubbing was better than subtitles where appropriate. The emphasis on “good” and “appropriate”. That’s not to say subtitles don’t have their place. 

I recall watching one movie when I had a smattering of the language and the four word subtitle on screen in no way reflected what the actor was saying

But yes there are times when subtitling is warranted. 

• Like 1

I remember seeing a clip from a Clint Eastwood movie dubbed into Italian.  I'm afraid Luigi who was hired for the part had all the menace in his voice of a wet blancmange.

Subtitles are better, as long as they are at the foot of the screen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the same theme I recall a memorable court moment. We had a witness who could not speak English and the other side (thankfully not us) had provided an interpreter. Initial simple questions such as what’s your age were not looking good. When we got to the first probing question there was a long 60 second or so answer. The interpreter turned and said “He says “no””

The judge jumped in with “I don’t have a word of his language but he didn’t say “no”” 

Last year I had a case with a Mr Pike as a witness. Both myself and my opponent were desperate to make an objection to a question by starting with “don’t tell him Pike”. 

• Haha 8

21 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I could not stand Dad's Army but, that one episode has me in stitches!

Philip Madoc, as the German captain was clearly struggling to keep a straight face!

(As, I think the rest of the cast were too!) 😂

John (wanting his chips crisp und light brown!)

• Haha 3

On 12/3/2021 at 11:30 AM, Duncan B said:

When I lose something why do I only find it in the last place I look and never the first place? I've tried looking in the last place first but that never seems to work.

Duncan B

But if wouldn't be the last place if it wasn't there. It's only the last place because you stop looking once you find it!

Why do stores that are open 24/7 have locks on the doors?

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/12/2021 at 19:06, Mr T said:

Why do I spend as much time looking for kit parts on the floor or my work surface as I do actually building something? 

And when I am looking for the part that I have lost, I find the part that I lost from the last kit I was making in seconds after spending hours looking for it the first time around.

• Haha 4

On 1/1/2022 at 5:32 PM, Vince1159 said:

Why with all the shower gels you can buy no company makes one that smells like aviation fuel,the best smell in the world...

Would have to disagree. Chloroform is the best smell in the worl😴😴😴😴

• Haha 4