Why? - just for fun and don't require an answer.

bootneck

A light-hearted look at things which beg the question "Why?"  No serious answers required!

I shall start off with the Fairey Firefly U.8 pilotless drone .......  why was it a two-seater?  :hmmm:

spacer.png

feel free to add your own questions  :blah:

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Allegedly this was a (the?) question one year in Cambridge philosophy tripos final exams.  Equally allegedly, one student wrote, “Why not?” And got a First.  No, not sure I believe it either. 

That story was doing the rounds at my university (University College Dublin) back in the '80s - some of us pinned our hopes on it being true 😁

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not looking for any answers to this, it was purely rhetorical.  I just want others to ask their, equally rhetorical, questions here.  Just to get us thinking. :giggle:

Mike

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

OK Mike, how about frosted windows in airliner loo's?

For ground poops of course! Hopefully not at the same time as ground loops. :owww:

• Haha 2

It's clearly because they wanted a test vehicle which was both pilotless AND observerless.

A single seater would have merely been pilotless so wouldn't have fitted the bill.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I think we are focussing too much on my "rhetorical" post and not offering our own Why's?

Aren't there any other elements out there that make us wonder why?

• Like 1

I've seen loads of carrier landings gone wrong, where the aircraft hits the barrier and trashes the plane. Why not just put lots more arrester wires on the deck!! It's obvious most pilots can't hit them when there's only four or five!!!

.....and for Royal Navy carriers, put an arrester wire right on the front too!! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3