Why? - just for fun and don't require an answer.

bootneck

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Why not just Bin the water filter jug! Problem solved and, money saved!😉

Why I can't bin the jug is because I need to filter my drinking water

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Why not just Bin the water filter jug! Problem solved and, money saved!😉

John

Obviously spoken by someone who doesn't live  in a very hard water area, or one that contains traces of phosphates.

John.

• Like 1

Why oh why does the BBC (and other news organisations for that matter) insist on accompanying music to a series of interviews. This morning they interviewed four students who are having to wear masks whilst in lessons. I couldn't understand any of them. The irony of it was though, one of the studio journalists reported that what one of them said was one reason why they didn't like wearing the mask was because they couldn't understand what other people were saying. No, nor could I, and it was made even worse by the stupid, unnecessary accompanying music. How long before we get the Queen's Christmas Day speech, accompanied by "music" from Lady Gaga?

John.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Obviously spoken by someone who doesn't live  in a very hard water area, or one that contains traces of phosphates.

John.

Same here in Herts. It's dreadful. I had a idea of not bothering with a water filter and just replacing the kettle when it got too bad to use. I lasted about a week of tea/coffee with a film on top and crunchy bits of scale on the bottom. Back to water filters.

• Like 3

On 07/01/2022 at 04:56, GrahamS said:

Would have to disagree. Chloroform is the best smell in the worl😴😴😴😴

They tried that as an after shave. It was a knock out success. 

Ok. I’ll get my coat:coat:

• Haha 7

51 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Same here in Herts. It's dreadful. I had a idea of not bothering with a water filter and just replacing the kettle when it got too bad to use. I lasted about a week of tea/coffee with a film on top and crunchy bits of scale on the bottom. Back to water filters.

I moved to St Albans from Blackburn way in the 80s and was disgusted the first time I drank a coffee only to find crunchy lumps in the bottom. To this day I never finish the drink even though I no longer live in a hard water area.

Graham

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Where we live in SW France, there is a lot of limestone. Just try digging in the garden and within about 6 inches you hit solid stone. We have a double inline water filter to eliminate the lime scale and the phosphates. It helps, but nowhere near enough. So we now use two Brita filters as well, before the water gets into the kettle. It's a lot better now, and I only have to descale the kettle about once a year.

Just to give an indication of how bad it is here. We had a 150 litre domestic hot water tank. A couple of years ago, it died so we had to replace it with a 200 litre tank. Two of us carried the tank upstairs with no problem, but when it came to getting the old one downstairs, it was a nightmare. It would have been easier to shift the Titanic by hand. It was completely crudded up with limescale. Never under estimate what limescale can do to appliances.

John.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrahamS said:

disgusted the first time I drank a coffee only to find crunchy lumps in the bottom.

Sure that wasn't 'er indoors overdoing the ground glass? :harumpf:

• Haha 11

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

They tried that as an after shave. It was a knock out success. 

Actually now I come to think on it I remember my wife buying me some.  It was a real aphrodisiac.  If ever I felt a bit frisky she would say "Oh go on then - just put some of that lovely after shave I got you on first to get me in the mood then."  And you know it really worked because it was so good after that I couldn't remember a single thing the next day but the missus was pleased.  She kept laughing a lot anyway.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

Definitely, London is amongst the worst.

Pre-COVID I used to average 1 overnight stay a month there for work, always used to take a few empty bottles with me which I'd fill up from the filtered drinking water fountain in the London office before checking into the hotel, so I could have cuppas sans crusty skin.

• Like 1

Why are Sainsbury's being annoying?

In early December I bough a jumper from there, I noticed at the time they had the same design in 3 different colours. Fast forward to the end of December I decided I really liked it due to the near enough perfect fit (not a common occurence for me due my lanky limbs) so I went back to the same store - all the jumpers had sold out in all colours. Tried two other stores since, one completely sold out, the other had a couple in the wrong size, their website also only has them in the wrong size.

1 minute ago, -Ian- said:

Why are Sainsbury's being annoying?

In early December I bough a jumper from there, I noticed at the time they had the same design in 3 different colours. Fast forward to the end of December I decided I really liked it due to the near enough perfect fit (not a common occurence for me due my lanky limbs) so I went back to the same store - all the jumpers had sold out in all colours. Tried two other stores since, one completely sold out, the other had a couple in the wrong size, their website also only has them in the wrong size.

You must be a popular shape :(

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GrahamS said:

To this day I never finish the drink even though I no longer live in a hard water area.

I do the same; I moved from rural Wales (back) to High Wycombe to go to university and couldn't get over the big lumps of chalk that were precipitated by every boiling of the kettle.  I quickly got into the habit of leaving the last slurp un-drunk and still do that now.  Yuck.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Why do people insist on driving in lane 2 of 3 (or 4) or in lane 3 of 4 without overtaking anything? I

I must confess to opting for lane 2 on the new "smart" motorways. On the basis that there could be someone stopped on the inside lane (previously hard shoulder). I've seen one horrible accident due to this, and don't intend to be the next one

Cheers

Colin

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ckw said:

I must confess to opting for lane 2 on the new "smart" motorways. On the basis that there could be someone stopped on the inside lane (previously hard shoulder). I've seen one horrible accident due to this, and don't intend to be the next one

Cheers

Colin

Smart Motorways terrify me. I don't often drive, but when I do it's usually in a 62 year old banger. I can't count how many times I've broken down over the last 70,000 miles. Sometimes catostrophic failure of a part, sometimes just a quick fix like a change of points or coil. (One time an exhaust valve failed and the plume of white smoke behind me was impressive! Luckily near a junction and I got off and limped 10 miles home on three.) There's nothing smart about them, it's just the only way of dealing with way too many cars on the roads. Touch wood I've not broken down on a smart motorway yet.

I'm not a mid lane hogger, bit difficult when your cruising speed is 55mph ...

• Like 1

In the Star Wars universe, why are they so opposed to handrails around elevated platforms and walkways?

Now I know it was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away; which probably puts it before the 1974 Health & Safety at Work Act, but still, you would expect the Empire to have some small degree of responsibility towards the longevity of its employees. It's in their own interests.

Edited by Army_Air_Force
spelling error
  • Like 7

On 12/26/2021 at 6:55 PM, JohnT said:

To my mind good dubbing is preferable anytime

Not wanting to be a smart-bottom here, but there's no such thing as "good", foreign-language dubbing. If the original actor was speaking in another language and then over-dubbed in to English (or any other language), then the human brain is very good at noticing that the words it can hear do not match up to the mouth-movements. People don't usually appreciate how much we look at the mouth to determine what's being said. 

I find that watching over-dubbed, foreign movies drives me right up the wall after a few minutes and I have to switch to something else. Even the early, UK version of the first Mad Max film (American actors used to over-dub the Australian ones - the US distributors didn't think their audience would understand the Aussie accents), I find pretty darned distracting. 

Other users mileage may vary. 

Cheers.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 1

The worst dubbing I ever saw was when I was privileged to see a preview screening of a film made here, We actually got to see it twice.

The film was made in Ulster & Eire in local English. We saw that version first. then we saw the version which had been dubbed in 'Canadian' English for showing in Canada, dubbing seemingly deemed necessary cos they couldn't understand us. The dubbed speech had no connection to what was being said by the actors

Why did they bother? Subtitles would have been better

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The worst dubbing I ever saw was when I was privileged to see a preview screening of a film made here, We actually got to see it twice.

The film was made in Ulster & Eire in local English. We saw that version first. then we saw the version which had been dubbed in 'Canadian' English for showing in Canada, dubbing seemingly deemed necessary cos they couldn't understand us. The dubbed speech had no connection to what was being said by the actors

Why did they bother? Subtitles would have been better

Not unlike the first Mad Max film.

For the American release the original Aussie dialogue was (badly) dubbed with American accents. Annoyingly the godawful American version was the one included in the UK VHS release of the film I bought in the 90s, even though the original version was used when it was shown on TV here.

• Like 1

In a similar vein, why do TV channels (Channel 4, I am looking at you) feel it necessary to subtitle local dialects? It seems to affect northern English accents most. I know the media exist in some sort of bubble bounded by the North and South Circular roads, but they are not that difficult to understand (OK Barnsley English can be a little more taxing). As a non northerner living in the midst Yorkshire folk, I have been OK. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

In a similar vein, why do TV channels (Channel 4, I am looking at you) feel it necessary to subtitle local dialects? It seems to affect northern English accents most. I know the media exist in some sort of bubble bounded by the North and South Circular roads, but they are not that difficult to understand (OK Barnsley English can be a little more taxing). As a non northerner living in the midst Yorkshire folk, I have been OK. 

Oi, Barnsley English is proper English, nowt wrong wi' it!

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, 593jones said:

Oi, Barnsley English is proper English, nowt wrong wi' it!

You are quite right, I have worked with loads of folk from Barnsley. As an accent/dialect it is quite individual, a bit different from Sheffield and West Yorkshire. 

It is interesting that you don't notice an accent when you grow with it. When I go back to Nottingham, I notice the accent much more. 

• Like 2