B-52G colours

Adam Poultney

So I really don't know much about B52s, other than how much better looking the Vulcan is than it. What paint colours am I going to need for the B52G scheme in this kit? 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-851-b-52g-stratofortress--144280

I will be painting with the hairy stick and would favour using acrylics if possible. Any suggestions?

If there's no good options for brush painting I might go with a what-if V Bomber style RAF camouflage.

7 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

I’m 99% certain that neither of the “short” tailed B-52’s the ‘G’ and ‘H’, ever wore the SEA scheme, I’ve certainly never seen a photo. Now that I’ve said that, someone will produce a photo to the contrary.

If by "SEA scheme" you mean the scheme from the boxart then it is SIOP scheme and yes there is a photo on the website I mentioned earlier :) 

photo_usaf_siop_1.jpg

However if you mean SAC SEA scheme -- basically the same as this but with black undersides then yes, I do no believe short tailed B-52s wore it.

Hi All,

It would depend on what circles one belongs to when it comes to SEA scheme. It was told way back when and by a crusty old duffer that said the SEA scheme meant the pattern in which was adapted and painted. No where in any of the books I've seen and some read where it defines the term Southeast Asian paint scheme. At least nothing jumps out and mentions SEA scheme that I recall. But the B-52D was the closest to the "SEA" scheme of the time by virtue of the colors.

The one thing I've learned over the years was to as much research and photo history on the given subject. Then if one wants to pick a specific airplane, car, boat. I would add people but not without their permission as in today's world would be not a good idea. At this point one has the finished project in sight.

Just my thought. All The Best

Ron VanDertwarker

Yes I know it’s in the SIOP scheme, I mentioned that in my first post, along with the FS codes 🤷‍♂️

I then said I’ve never seen a G or H in the SEA scheme, but you’ve produced a picture of a SIOP scheme. Your post is confusing things Doom3r.🤷‍♂️

B/c your post definitely confused me: before your post nobody was talking about SEA scheme for B-52G other than I mentioned that the colors are described in my link are under the section "SAC SIOP & SEA schemes" (which are 2 different schemes but due to similarity are in the same section). And in my post I definitely refer to the scheme on picture as SIOP since this is the scheme on the box art of the model kit in question. Basically I read your post that you doubt that the scheme on the boxart is applicable to the B-52G. If this is not what you was trying to say my apologies but it would be helpful to be more specific on such messages or at least colors since lot of times I've seen SIOP is also referred as "SAC SEA" which is kinda confusing.

Let me throw some madness at you. A well faded and total color change from sitting in the Arizona sun. These were taken some 7 years ago at the Pima Air Museum Tucson AZ. It is of a late model G. It has the wing fairings that were added a number of years into its service years

100_4900 100_4915

A closer view of the fairing

100_4914

G model chaff dispenser between the flaps and forward of the aileron.

100_4901

For those who are inclined to build a B-52, I have some detail photos of this and other models. Mostly the D. I'm planning a diorama for the future.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doom3r said:

B/c your post definitely confused me: before your post nobody was talking about SEA scheme for B-52G other than I mentioned that the colors are described in my link are under the section "SAC SIOP & SEA schemes" (which are 2 different schemes but due to similarity are in the same section). And in my post I definitely refer to the scheme on picture as SIOP since this is the scheme on the box art of the model kit in question. Basically I read your post that you doubt that the scheme on the boxart is applicable to the B-52G. If this is not what you was trying to say my apologies but it would be helpful to be more specific on such messages or at least colors since lot of times I've seen SIOP is also referred as "SAC SEA" which is kinda confusing.

What are you on about? 

I couldn’t have been anymore specific that the scheme on the box art was SIOP, I even give the correct FS codes in the 2nd reply to this thread. The first person to mention SEA was yourself and where did I doubt that the SIOP scheme wasn’t applicable to the box art??

What I did doubt and rightly so, was your mention of the SEA scheme, and on your last point of referring to SIOP and SEA as one and the same that’s exactly what you did??

Anyway for those that can’t keep up, the correct scheme and FS codes are specifically mentioned in post No3 of this thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

Let me throw some madness at you. A well faded and total color change from sitting in the Arizona sun. These were taken some 7 years ago at the Pima Air Museum Tucson AZ. It is of a late model G. It has the wing fairings that were added a number of years into its service years

100_4900 100_4915

A closer view of the fairing

100_4914

G model chaff dispenser between the flaps and forward of the aileron.

100_4901

For those who are inclined to build a B-52, I have some detail photos of this and other models. Mostly the D. I'm planning a diorama for the future.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

The scheme above is the “Strat”egic scheme which consisted of 

Uppers

FS 36081 Dark Gunship Grey

FS 34086 Olive Drab

Lowers

FS 36081 Dark Gunship Grey

FS 36118 Light Gunship Grey

The Olive faded really bad to the Brownish colour you see above. I’m not quite sure what’s going on with the lower fuselage area? I can only think that that area isn’t exposed as much to the harsh Arizona sunlight like the upper surfaces and therefore hasn’t faded as drastically.

Edited by scotthldr

2 hours ago, scotthldr said:

The first person to mention SEA was yourself and where did I doubt that the SIOP scheme wasn’t applicable to the box art??

Did you read my fist message? Here how it was:

6 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Take a look at this page (scroll down to SAC SIOP & SEA scheme) it has not only fs numbers but also some paint suggestions http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resources.php?r=camo_usaf

As you can see it is just a name of the section with different camos at the link I provided (you obviously did not look at the it where it is stated that these are 2 different schemes but under the same section). In this message I did not state that SEA scheme was either applicable to the G model or that it is the same as SIOP. The reason why I did recommend the link is b/c it not only has FS numbers that was posted earlier but b/c it has approximate paint matches by different manufacturers (which is actually what was asked in the opening message of the thread).

50 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Adam,

See if this helps. From the Cybermodeler website, B-52 reference section. It has the STOP colors/FS equivalents, and patterns.

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/b-52/b-52_profile02.shtml

Knowing just how many mistakes are in their Vulcan kit I tend to take anything Cyberhobby make with a whole mountain of salt

9 hours ago, Doom3r said:

Did you read my fist message? Here how it was:

As you can see it is just a name of the section with different camos at the link I provided (you obviously did not look at the it where it is stated that these are 2 different schemes but under the same section). In this message I did not state that SEA scheme was either applicable to the G model or that it is the same as SIOP. The reason why I did recommend the link is b/c it not only has FS numbers that was posted earlier but b/c it has approximate paint matches by different manufacturers (which is actually what was asked in the opening message of the thread).

Alright Gents, take a breath.  The first one to mention the SEA colors, but by FS number and not by name, was Jure, who was mistaken as scotthldr pointed out.  Now on to Adam Poultney.  Mike's link is to the Cybermodeler website, NOT Cyberhobby.  Yes, Cyberhobby has a fairly mixed reputation as they have screwed a number of things up, e.g. radome on Sea Vixen kit, Venom nightfighter with other inaccuracies that are not easily corrected, and on both, ejection seats that are too small!

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

@e8n2,

Thanks, Dave- I was wondering why Adam was so short with me, as what I provided the link to was the USAF T.O. which  Cybermodeler  put in their B-52G folder, which is not speculation. If you can'r trust an official T.O, then.... Now the Cybermodeler  paint chart is more open to debate, I will grant, but the FS numbers are given in the official T.O. and I figure a modeler can use that to research which paint maker's colors are accurate. As we say here in the Lone Star State, "I ain't got a horse in this race!"

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Mike's link is to the Cybermodeler website, NOT Cyberhobby.

oops haha I think my brain has been fried by all the late nights in the library because of this aerospace engineering degree I'm doing.... 

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Would these be the right green and tan colours? https://www.hataka-hobby.com/HTK-BS09-USAF-Paint-Set-Vietnam-war-era

Only the FS 34079.  The other colors for the SIOP (Single Integrated Operational Plan) are in the first post by scotthldr in his first post.  The SIOP colors came in towards the end of Vietnam and were meant more in case the unthinkable had ever happened and the had to fly a mission against the Soviets.  I'm so glad it never came to that, as I'm sure all of us who were around during those times would agree.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1