RAAF Spitfire Mk VIII bombs

Jay Gee

Hello all, I've been searching high and low regarding RAAF Spitfire bombloads and I am out of ideas on where to search. I've found a few photos of the locally designed bomb racks and some mention to dive bombing missions, but few photos of RAAF Spits loaded with bombs.

What I'm after is the type of bombs used. Were they British or American 250lb? Or were both types used? Did all 3 squadrons (452, 457 & 79) carry out dive bombing missions? If so when did they start? 

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

JayGee.

Others no doubt can give better dates.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx
Search as guest.  Use the search string 79 squadron history  Then similar for 452 and 457 squadrons, the digitised item symbol will allow you to read the squadron history file one page at a time.  Or click on the entry title to give the option of the entire file downloaded as a PDF.

The file references are,
for 79 squadron Series number A9186 Control symbol 108
for 452 squadron Series number A9186 Control symbol 137
for 457 squadron Series number A9186 Control symbol 143

A quick look suggests bombing attacks did not begin until April/May 1945 and gave details like,

79 squadron, 6 May dive bombing practice, 8 May live attack.

452 squadron, 14 April, Dive bombing practice began at Tjioe village

457 squadron, Using US 250 pound GP on 24 June

Meantime A58-499 was under test from late December 1944, carrying 300 pound bombs under the wings, including work on a deflector to prevent bomb fusing by spent cannon cases.  Then came various tests with a 30 gallon belly tank and two 250 pound bombs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

G'day Jay,

All three squadrons in No. 80 Wing flew missions with bombs. As Geoffrey notes you will find some details in the squadron A.50s and A.51s. Generally British 250 pounders, from RAAF stocks, were used. Trials also cleared the US 250 lb bomb but, apart from trials, I have never seen a photo of a RAAF Spitfire with those bombs. Photos of aircraft carrying bombs are rare as they were only armed up shortly before the mission. 

Maybe some of these photos may help.

f4c2e1a9-4cf4-4f72-86d7-cdb0ad99c652.jpg

Trials A/C at No. 7 RSU armed with British bombs under fuselage and starboard wing and US bomb aunder port wing. Note the cannon shelll deflctors fitted inboard of the bombs. These deflesctors appear to 

have not been used in operations. Normal technique was to bomb first, then straff.

cd859bd2-0429-4fa8-b5c8-c1346aa38fca.jpg

A No. 452 Sqn aircraft takes off with two British 250 pounders. 

58524372-e46a-4e1d-b350-7a2cfd828346.jpg

The Wing Leader's A/C bombed up. Susan's retained his No. 79 Sqn machine, although he was Wing Leader by this time.

d3668ef2-c69d-42ab-b50d-76885b0ab42e.jpg

Not the best of photos, but does show three No. 457 Sqn A/C bombed up and ready to go. The centre A/C has started its engine. A/C on the right is A58-635.

HTH,

Peter M

GO PIES!!!!!!

Edited by Magpie22
corrected an error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few more shots showing the racks. 

bd4af427-fd55-4869-960e-987d00f0f199.jpg

7626fb70-8d75-4f68-9b6b-6fce6575d370.jpg

e3adf17f-fb5e-4c7b-8cf4-0981f0c3e04c.jpg

A rough sketch I did back when I was making my  bombed up Spit VIII. The bomb relase unit is mounted on to a rib in the outer cannon bay, precluding the fitting of four cannon.

The bombs were carried single point suspension. The front stay was not adjustable but the rear stay had bolts with pads that could be tightened up to prevent the bomb from moving on the rack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Geoffrey Sinclair

Thanks again for the tip to NAA, very handy indeed as it lists A/C serial, pilot names, dates etc. I had searched this site in regards to my Grandfathers war service but didn't realise Squadron war diaries were listed as well. I'll definately be making some time to have a good read through and with the dates you've given will help me narrow down a time frame. Some top shelf information right there.

@Magpie22

Thanks for the reply and for the great pictures, I was wondering how long it would take before you had seen this. In the photograph of the 457SQN aircraft, do they have the 30Gal slipper tank fitted as well? Or is it the fairing from the radiator I'm seeing?

A bombed up, fuel tank fitted, shark mouthed Spitfire definately looks the part!

What you don't know about RAAF Spitfires isn't worth knowing, although I'm not too sure about your footy team. 

Go Blues!