Hunter F.6, 1950s

I’ve been wanting to build this kit ever since it came out, and now I finally will. I’ve seen some amazing builds of this new(ish) kit on here, so hopefully mine will turn out reasonably well. I have another in the stash, along with the F.4/5 and I’m still undecided as to what squadron to do yet, possibly 263, although it was short-lived on the F6, or 54 (West Raynham?) or 56 (though I already have a Firebirds Phantom and intend to do one of its Lightnings so maybe another squadron this time) …

697390-F2-C6-E7-4-EDF-8775-5-A3-D02-AA05

Considering how many squadrons operated the type, Airfix’s decal options are slightly underwhelming for me, so I’ll be using aftermarket decals. I’ll see if I can find some 263 Sqn ones perhaps.

39-E2-F800-69-F6-43-CC-A4-DF-8-C2-BD43-B

Sadly, there are no cockpit decals either, so I’m going to have to buy an Eduard etched cockpit detail set and seatbelts. 😡 

I believe the Hunter I’m hoping for would have been gloss/satin dark green/DSG upper camo and ‘high speed silver’ underneath?

Anyone have any info/tips?

• Like 8

After even more research I might actually try a 19 Sqn Hunter, based at Church Fenton in the late ‘50s. I like the ‘fighter bars’ either side of the fuselage roundel. Interestingly some of these Hunters seemed to have white serials on the fuselage instead of black. 

A few examples to choose from include XG172/B, XG191/G, XG199/J, XE557/O, XF527/P and XG152/X. I found A, D, R and S too but sadly they were lost so I won’t do those.

Anyone know of any others? 

Originally the camouflage finish on RAF Hunters, and other front line types of the period, was gloss which usually weathered to satin or semi matt.  It would be very rare to see a Hunter in the tatty weathered state sometimes depicted on models unless it had been consigned to the station fire dump some months previously.

From around 1968 the original high speed silver undersides were replaced by Light Aircraft Grey, still in gloss overall, and from the mid-1970s the finish changed to matt with low-vis red and blue national markings.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having decided on 19 Sqn, I found these images as reference. I’m guessing I could use either black or white fuselage serials.

3553-C80-C-E593-4-ECA-9810-CE897-DE27-E6

ACEE9-EE7-32-A3-4-C0-A-B655-B246-F6-E5-B

I’m assuming these will be correct …

38-FCE648-98-CA-410-D-973-C-EFB7-C37-AE0

Not only the serial number letters could be seen in black or white, the letter on the fin also changed over time: initially they were in yellow but later they became white, I have a colour version of the picture of XG199 and the letter is clearly white, XG133 in the picture below may have the letter in yellow.

Worth checking the wings, early F.6s used by 19 Sqn. retained the original straight wing without dog tooth, these were later modified to the final configuration.

The colours chosen are correct. Finish on Hunters was gloss, however IIRC this changed during the production and the F.6 were actually more of a semigloss finish while earlier paints were glossier. I have an article on this on an old SAM, must dig this and check all the references to the relevant technical documents.

• Thanks 1

Interesting point about the wings @Giorgio N, it looks like 199 has dogtooth and 133’s are straight. I’ll definitely be doing dogtooth as included in the kit. I’m assuming all the squadron’s F.6s would have been retro-fitted with the dogtooth wings at some point if they weren’t already built that way.

These beauties turned up this morning!

5-E502715-595-C-4574-8273-C2-B15357-D572

Tempted to get more Hunters now so I can do this one as 19 Sqn, and two more F.6s from 74 and 263, plus at least one F.4 and F.5! 

Only issue is those serials will need cutting to fit over the undercarriage doors. 

• Like 6

First bit of painting done. I thought I’d spray the cockpit, makes it neater. I’m waiting for the postie to bring an Eduard etched cockpit for the instrument panels, but this black pit will do as the basic colour. Once I add the etch I’ll give some of the edges a bit of a dry brush with silver, although for the time period I’m building this Hunter I’m guessing it wouldn’t have been that worn looking by 1958 as it was only delivered two years before that.

B4-D54-DC3-F96-A-405-B-BAF2-F21-C54076-C

I hand painted the moulded seat belts, I don’t think I’ll need etched ones for this kit, just need to tidy up the back rest a bit. Airfix look to have produced a perfectly usable seat without the need for aftermarket, in my opinion. 

The kit actually has two seat options, this one with belts or a plain one, I assume for if you want to use aftermarket or add a pilot.

CA896-A41-973-C-4861-80-A7-874147-E4-BAF

• Like 5

Instrument panel done! The amount of detail that Eduard get on something so small is remarkable.

4453318-D-5-C7-B-45-C3-8-BF6-CC245748-EB

These made me wonder if Airfix will release a 1/48 FGA.9 at some point …

8-B9326-BA-D17-D-4-F53-96-E1-AF9-B46-C5-

• Like 6

I’ve done most of the cockpit and seat, quite happy with both. I’ll add the etch HUD much later so it doesn’t get knocked off. I haven’t glued the seat in place yet, I’ll leave that til the end too. Still need to add the throttle lever as well.

397875-EA-75-D8-471-E-9-E8-C-008-E86-E58

BCF7-FE3-D-4-B5-D-412-B-9-BE2-C42-B91-A6

• Like 7

I thought the cockpit was looking a bit bare so inspired by @Rich F’s brilliant cockpit I added a few bits of my own. 

This is how the kit comes …

9937474-A-D659-4-C79-BE3-D-2004-A65066-A

Just a couple of scrap pieces, wire and plastic card added …

B7-A0982-E-A7-E9-4271-B6-F3-B30-D2-DEA2-

Not much really but then you don’t see a lot once the cockpit tub is fitted and the fuselage closed up. It does improve it once painted and dry brushed though.

271522-EA-6-D91-435-F-BA42-5251-B6-A4-F7

I added a couple of pieces of wire for the tubes on the bulkhead behind the seat.

5658-A865-B66-F-4629-B998-AEF46-E212-B20

The vents under the Sabrinas need hollowing out, Airfix has sold ended ones.

9-C6-B0036-7-EB0-4332-9-B63-C6-CDBF4-BAA

• Like 3

Looking good mate 👍 with hindsight i probably wouldn't have put so much detail in my pit, it's black and quite narrow so most of it is pretty hard to see.

Could have done with you starting yours before me so I could get some tips. 

Don't forget to add some nose weight!

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, Lord Riot said:

Having decided on 19 Sqn, I found these images as reference. I’m guessing I could use either black or white fuselage serials.

3553-C80-C-E593-4-ECA-9810-CE897-DE27-E6

ACEE9-EE7-32-A3-4-C0-A-B655-B246-F6-E5-B

I’m assuming these will be correct …

38-FCE648-98-CA-410-D-973-C-EFB7-C37-AE0

Those custom Riolett aerosols look interesting,...... I`ve tried entering BS codes into their website but they don`t seem to recognise them?

Could you please tell me how much they cost? I`m interested in a Light Aircraft Grey one,

The Hunter is coming along beautifully too,

Cheers

Tony 

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Those custom Riolett aerosols look interesting,...... I`ve tried entering BS codes into their website but they don`t seem to recognise them?

Could you please tell me how much they cost? I`m interested in a Light Aircraft Grey one,

The Hunter is coming along beautifully too,

Cheers

Tony 

I did buy them a few months ago now, may be worth emailing to see if they’re in stock. The actual cans are only £10.99 each but once all the tax and delivery was added it was nearly £50 for three!

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/search/?s=Light+aircraft+grey

98-EDBED1-A4-CE-4535-8-F4-F-179-FF806164

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I did buy them a few months ago now, may be worth emailing to see if they’re in stock. The actual cans are only £10.99 each but once all the tax and delivery was added it was nearly £50 for three!

https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/search/?s=Light+aircraft+grey

98-EDBED1-A4-CE-4535-8-F4-F-179-FF806164

Crikey,..... thanks for getting back to me,.... but that is very expensive. I do hope for your sake that the paint goes on really nicely? They are probably out of my price range,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Crikey,..... thanks for getting back to me,.... but that is very expensive. I do hope for your sake that the paint goes on really nicely? They are probably out of my price range,

Cheers

Tony

No worries mate. I’ve bought from these before too: https://www.yourspraypaints.com/product/british-standard-colour-aerosol-custom-spray-paint/bs-381c-colour-aerosol-spray-paints/british-standards-bs-381c-light-aircraft-grey-627-aerosol-spray-paint-1k-2k-400ml/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImavS0p_a9AIVFdZ3Ch2kqgHCEAQYAiABEgJ1VPD_BwE

I thought the same about those Riolett cans so I tested them on a 1/72 Hunter a few months ago! Seems ok I think. 🤞 

F672-AA8-C-9600-47-D7-85-C6-67-E88-CB9-A

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

No worries mate. I’ve bought from these before too: https://www.yourspraypaints.com/product/british-standard-colour-aerosol-custom-spray-paint/bs-381c-colour-aerosol-spray-paints/british-standards-bs-381c-light-aircraft-grey-627-aerosol-spray-paint-1k-2k-400ml/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImavS0p_a9AIVFdZ3Ch2kqgHCEAQYAiABEgJ1VPD_BwE

I thought the same about those Riolett cans so I tested them on a 1/72 Hunter a few months ago! Seems ok I think. 🤞 

F672-AA8-C-9600-47-D7-85-C6-67-E88-CB9-A

They go on very nicely indeed,...... looking forward to the finished model even more now! 

• Like 1

Hopefully this is enough nose weight, I added as much as possible as far forward as I could. The instructions say 20g and it’s just a smidgen over that. I can’t abide a tailsitter, and any kit I made, however it turned out, would be sold or binned if it tipped back.

FD80-B1-C6-5-F6-F-4-D2-B-BEE4-82452-B1-E

Fuselage halves fit together beautifully, very nicely done by Airfix.

77274-FF9-A0-DB-4-A78-A0-C9-4-E150055284

• Like 3

14 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work.

I like the bolt! Is that from Ikea?

James

Very similar yes, Next if I remember correctly. My wife wanted a new chair for her dressing table so I put the old one to good use; the seat base is now an ab crunches pad in the garage gym and all the screws and bolts for nose weights! Very sustainable and environmentally conscious! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1