Hunter F6, 1950s squadrons

Lord Riot

I’m considering starting a 1/48 Airfix Hunter, and have to say I’m not really inspired by the kit decal options.

Hunters wore some pretty nice markings in the 50s and early 60s, but it seems many squadrons were short-lived, for example 263 Sqn operated the F6 for under two years before renumbering as 1 Sqn.

Ideally, I’d like to a UK-based Hunter F6, circa 1955-60ish in standard green/grey camo with silver undersides.

I’m thinking my options are:

1 sqn

43 sqn

54 sqn

56 sqn

74 sqn

263 sqn

Any other options? I’m kind of leaning towards 263, I like the markings. I always like 56 colours too, so that’s still an option. Does anyone have any more info, images, etc?

Thanks!

Hunter units equipped with the F.6 in the UK in those years were:

1 Sqn: 1958-60 (replaced by Hunter FGA.9 in renumbered 263 Sqn)

19 Sqn: 1956-62 (replaced by Lightning)

43 Sqn: 1957-60 (replaced by FGA.9)

54 Sqn: 1957-60 (replaced by FGA.9)

56 Sqn: 1958-61 (replaced by Lightning)

63 Sqn: 1956-58 (disbanded)

66 Sqn: 1958-61 (reformed on Belvedere)

74 Sqn: 1957-60 (replaced by Lightning)

92 Sqn: 1957-62 (replaced by Lightning)

111 Sqn: 1957-61 (replaced by Lightning)

247 Sqn: March to December 1957 (disbanded)

263 Sqn: 1957-58 (reformed as 1 Sqn with FGA.9 while a new 263 Sqn was formed on Bloodhound missiles).

All information coming from this book, that is IMHO a must-have for any Hunter enthusiasts

https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Squadrons-Royal-Force-Fleet/dp/091880518X

My personal favourite in terms of markings have always been the 66 Sqn. aircraft with the blue and white "arrow" around the roundel, as offered in the Revell 1/72 kit. Not sure if these markings are however available in 1/48

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Well, if you say so... that's one copy sold!

bob

It is an old book, so mostly B/W pictures with only some pages in full colour, but it is IMHO invaluable as the author shows variations in markings of the same unit whenever possible. When the book was published the Hunter was still in service, so some very late information may be missing, but all frontline units are properly covered. The colours of both camouflage and markings are always mentioned and this makes the book very useful for modellers. Really, it is a book aimed at modellers more than historians, text is very limiited but captions to pictures are very exhaustive. Some of the markings shown may be well known but for example the early FAA markings or those of the various short lived RAF Germany units are much less so.

Also interesting is the Airfile volume on the Hunter:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/books/casemate/airfile/rafhunter.htm

This is mostly based on profiles, although a number of colour pictures is present. Covers the whole career of the Hunter in RAF service so may feature some schemes not covered in the previous title. The good thing of this book is that can be found for very little, Key Publishing for example have this and other books in the series on sale for £4.

Fantasy Printshop issued decal sheets in 72, 48 and 32 based on this book (IIRC it was a collaboration between them and the publishers), covering a huge number of aircraft. Probably hard to find today but may be worth looking for them

• Thanks 1

If anyone is interested, I’ve stumbled across a lot of great, original (though black & white) Hunter photos on eBay. I want to stress I’m in absolutely no way connected to the seller, hope it’s ok to write their name so others can see the photos for reference? Mods remove if not.

Search seller boacmarque and as well as Hunters there are original photos of many inter-war types and a few others too. Could be very useful reference images if you do a screenshot.