Warning for Halberstadt CL.II Lozenge decals from WNW

dov

Dear Modeller

If you intend to build this kit, so be aware that the Lozenge decals are not good at all.

The quality is brisk, they brake if you leap them over.

Without softener, with softener, no matter what you use.

And you loose the print too, white comes through!

They are wrong also.

First of all the cut outs for struts are on the top of the top wing!

The  cut outs are not there at the bottom of the top wing.

The overleap from the decals on the leading edge miss 2 or 3mm!

So throw them away, do not spoil your kit.

Buy aftermarket! I could cry now, all my work is nearly in vain, just will try to save whatever possible!

Earlier kits from WNW had much better quality of decal material. I built 10 or 20 kits already!

So be careful!

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up Dov. Luckily I have the Aviattic set for this kit, never did think WNW's lozenge colours were accurate on any of their German kits. Regards, Pete in RI

Edited by europapete
spelling

Hi all, please let me re-phrase my above statement. WNW has done a heck of a lot more research into WW1 colours than I have. So has Aviattic. I like Aviattic's colours better than WNW's. Therefore I think Aviatic's are more accurate. Does that make sense? probably not. My appologies to WNW's, I did not mean to degrade. Regards, Pete in RI

• Like 1

Aviatic decals  seem a bit idiosintric to me and the colours look bright. Anyway I will be careful and hope Pheon release their Halberstadter decal sheets

Good luck anyway. I worked with HGM lozenge. They need careful treatment. But, the clue is, the instruction tells you nothing you need to know.

Trial & Error. I did it on a Fokker. 

Several years ago. Did not write it down.

Today I use the forum here as my memo.

All WIP I write will have so much information, that my wife can use it, if she builds the same kit or has the same issue. Really, sounds stupid,  but beside that I think all infos and some more can help anybody unknown anywhere in the world. 

Even, since I built many  100s of kits already, saw a lot, did a lot, maybe my ideas can help.

Just to ask: the decals from Aviatik are decal material? HGW like some fabric. 

Happy modelling 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, europapete said:

Yes, decals. Both transparent type and solid colour type. Aviattic provide excellent instructions with their sheets. 

Also available as factory fresh or more faded (and as Aviattic say, after much research, by which I mean years of looking at real samples rather than minutes of searching on the interwebs, it was the coating on top of the fabric that changed with age and exposure, not the base colours on the fabric). But then nobody will ever agree on this, which is why they do the translucent sheets so you can pre-weather and modify over a light base coat until it suits you.  If you don't want to experiment, then that's what the solid decals are for, and if you really don't get much from the process at all, then that's why they also do cookie cutter sets for a few specific manufacturers kits.

Paul.

15 minutes ago, europapete said:

Thanks Paul, that explained it much better than I did. 👍 Regards, Pete in RI

Just paraphrasing Aviattic from their website, which is well worth a read because there is a bit of philosophy behind their stuff and it never hurts to know. Plus there are products listed there which you may not have thought of but find yourself unable to live without. Actually, thinking about it, it's a dangerous place...............

Paul.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2021 at 22:53, dov said:

Dear Modeller

If you intend to build this kit, so be aware that the Lozenge decals are not good at all.

The quality is brisk, they brake if you leap them over.

Without softener, with softener, no matter what you use.

And you loose the print too, white comes through!

They are wrong also.

First of all the cut outs for struts are on the top of the top wing!

The  cut outs are not there at the bottom of the top wing.

The overleap from the decals on the leading edge miss 2 or 3mm!

So throw them away, do not spoil your kit.

Buy aftermarket! I could cry now, all my work is nearly in vain, just will try to save whatever possible!

Earlier kits from WNW had much better quality of decal material. I built 10 or 20 kits already!

So be careful!

Happy modelling

Your statement about cut outs in the decals are total nonsense.

On the top wing upper surface lozenge the cut outs are there for the painted metal brackets which are moulded on to the wing.  

On the underside of the top wing lozenge decals there are indeed no cut outs, and an overhang. The instructions actually tell you to TRIM TO FIT. This appears to be  because the underside decals are also used on the top surface of the wings for very early production Halberstadt Cl.II. 

Not all decal solvents work with all decals so I can't comment on that problem you had (which I never evperienced).  But it is quite obvious that whatever you used would appear to be the wrong one(s).

By all means have a preference for spending extra noney on aftermarket products. But do it for the right reasons, not because of ignorant statements like this. It's a shame so many incorrect statements can be made in one post. 

• Haha 1

Your statement about cut outs in the decals are total nonsense.

On the top wing upper surface lozenge the cut outs are there for the painted metal brackets which are moulded on to the wing.  

On the underside of the top wing lozenge decals there are indeed no cut outs, and an overhang. The instructions actually tell you to TRIM TO FIT. This appears to be  because the underside decals are also used on the top surface of the wings for very early production Halberstadt Cl.II. 

Well, if you say it is total nonsens, you should be very careful and be thruthfull:

Since I mentioned that the cut outs on the top wing underside is missing. This is correct!

If I mentioned there is no material for overleap, I built a late Halberstadt, and your comment refers to the early version.

Ask, before you write! 

Ask, if you do not know!

If there is no overleap, what should I trimm?

If the cut outs are for the brakets on the top wing, what is with the brakets on the underwing lower surface?

Forgotten or mixed up?

Why should I buy aftermarket? WNW is a quality label or not?

Happy modelling