Twisted Vampire

Trenton guy

Sounds like a rock group but it’s actually my new Airfix 1/48 scale Vampire that arrived today from Lowestoft.

The front upper fuselage is twisted in a way I have never seen in 59 years of opening kits. The right side of the upper fuselage is pulled out and twisted up so badly that the cockpit opening is about 10 degrees out of fore and aft and even the rear wing root, on that side is pulled forward about 5mm. Has anyone else experienced this? Seems like a new record in Airfix quality control’s race to the bottom. Best guess is that it was put in the box still soft and hardened in that way.

Lower fuselage is fine. Brief experimentation suggests that it can be twisted back with enough hands and super glue. Don’t know how that would work with innards installed but, at least they mostly mount to the straight and true lower fuselage.

Am I alone?

• Sad 1

It may sound redundant, but might I suggest full documentation of your upper fuselage and any other affected part, then contact/email Airfix customer service or whomever handles things like this, directly. along with all the photo evidence,   From your description, this was at their end because there's no way anyone can say it was damaged in transit.  At least that's what I would do.

Scott

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Hemsley said:

It may sound redundant, but might I suggest full documentation of your upper fuselage and any other affected part, then contact/email Airfix customer service or whomever handles things like this, directly. along with all the photo evidence,   From your description, this was at their end because there's no way anyone can say it was damaged in transit.  At least that's what I would do.

Scott

Good advice. I’m on it.

Sounds like I got off lightly. My windshield had been bent over in the polythene bag that it arrived in,thus splintering the sprue attachment to the part. Airfix replaced it within a few days of letting them know.

Keith

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Sounds like a rock group but it’s actually my new Airfix 1/48 scale Vampire that arrived today from Lowestoft.

The front upper fuselage is twisted in a way I have never seen in 59 years of opening kits. The right side of the upper fuselage is pulled out and twisted up so badly that the cockpit opening is about 10 degrees out of fore and aft and even the rear wing root, on that side is pulled forward about 5mm. Has anyone else experienced this? Seems like a new record in Airfix quality control’s race to the bottom. Best guess is that it was put in the box still soft and hardened in that way.

Lower fuselage is fine. Brief experimentation suggests that it can be twisted back with enough hands and super glue. Don’t know how that would work with innards installed but, at least they mostly mount to the straight and true lower fuselage.

Am I alone?

No, you’re not alone mine is exactly the same, bought from Hannants at Telford. Box was sealed and although I opened it to check I had both an upper and lower fuselage/wing as some have not, I didn’t open the bag so I didn’t notice the twist. I think the box is a fraction too small and the top half has been squashed, possibly whilst still warm. I think hot water, building on the lower half with spars etc installed and use of clamps will sort it out but will only know when I come to build it. The challenge has probably moved it up the ‘to do’ list 😀.

Having had several similar issues with my Airfix Phantom FGR2, I can sympathise. Airfix quality control strikes again...:doh:

As Scott suggested, get an e-mail off to the Spares Department - they'll need proof of purchase and the code on the sticker on the back of the box.

Simon

8 hours ago, elanman said:

No, you’re not alone mine is exactly the same, bought from Hannants at Telford. Box was sealed and although I opened it to check I had both an upper and lower fuselage/wing as some have not, I didn’t open the bag so I didn’t notice the twist. I think the box is a fraction too small and the top half has been squashed, possibly whilst still warm. I think hot water, building on the lower half with spars etc installed and use of clamps will sort it out but will only know when I come to build it. The challenge has probably moved it up the ‘to do’ list 😀.

You are right about the “to do” list. Once made a Frog Wyvern that a friend gave me because the fuselage had been smashed into a dozen pieces. Came out well. Still have it 30 years later and still pleased with it. Gonna give the Twisted Vampire o go. I’d post pictures of I had the faintest idea how.