Dapol OO/HO English Electric Deltic

English Electric Deltic, this kit the DP1 prototype locomotive, that led to the mighty Class 55 Deltic - the most powerful British locomotive of its time.

This prototype was displayed at the Science Museum for about 30 years, and is currently at the National Rail Museum, Shildon. The engines differ slightly from those in production models, and are damaged, so this locomotive will never run under her own power again.

So what is a Deltic all about? Well, a unique configuration with 3 crankshafts in a triangular formation, and opposing pistons giving compression. Multiples of 6 pistons. No valves or cylinder-heads, this engine relies on ports for its intake and exhausting, and is a two-stroke. This locomotive has 2 engines, each 18 cylinders, so 36 pistons, and 88.3 litres giving 1,650hp. A remarkably compact package totalling 3,300hp - the most powerful locomotive of its time, the first able to cruise at 100mph. Light as well, 100 tons - the lightest of its size.

This engine has to be seen and heard to be believed - with one crankshaft rotating in opposite direction to the other two. There are more firing strokes per rotation - giving the Deltic a very different and powerful humm. Then there's the smoke - lots of it. The exhaust system gets a liberal coating of oil at tick-over, so is usually switched off, rather than idle for more than 20 minutes. Over 20 minutes, and a huge oil slick can be chucked out of the exhaust and down the side as it powers up. I've got photos of this delightful behaviour on heritage railways. In service, with being run hotter and under more pressure, there are stories of exhaust fires, and upward firing flame throwers - no wonder they're extinct now!

The engines drive a generator, which provides power for traction motors on each axle.

I missed Deltics on the main-line, but have been pulled by two at heritage railways - where they are overpowered, routinely operating in single engine mode.

So to the kit, first issued by Rosebud Kitmaster, sometime in the early 1960s. At some time it was transferred to Airfix, who lost track of it - possibly in a fire. Airfix never issued this kit.

All Airfix's railway moulds were later sold to Dapol. This one was amongst that batch, and labelled 0-4-2.

On investigation the Deltic was rediscovered, and re-issued by Dapol. With an explanation that the cab glazing was not found, and a recommendation to use acetate sheet for the windows.

Another thing about Dapol kits. They're made from recycled plastic. There's advice on the instructions that parts may be warped or distorted (something I found with my Battle of Britain Class build.), and to return the whole kit to the retailer - who has a contract with Dapol to replace it. This is on a whole kit basis - with no such service for individual parts.

And did I ever realise the significance of that! - when I noticed part of the windscreen surround broken off and missing, AFTER I'd started the painting process! Fortunately, a check of the bag revealed most of the missing surround - leaving a gap which I was able to fill with some plastic sheet.

Tim's verdict: A privilege to have built this iconic locomotive. It really looks the part, and of very good quality.

Now question from a diesel enthusiast: why didn't Rosebud Kitmaster make models of all the other contemporary diesel locos?

First 2 photos, pre weathering

50-Decals.jpg

Detail picked out with gel-pens.

50-Deltic.jpg

Then, very light weathering by airbrush.

99-Weathered.jpg

Slight rust from brakes over the running gear.

99-Weat-Deltic.jpg
Diesel muck over the roof.

• Like 20

Nice job.

Just one question, is it really 1:72?  I'd have thought it would be 1:76 as I think that's OO (or is it 00) scale for model railways?  But I know 1:72 is a popular modelling scale too...

4 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

Nice job.

Just one question, is it really 1:72?  I'd have thought it would be 1:76 as I think that's OO (or is it 00) scale for model railways?  But I know 1:72 is a popular modelling scale too...

Quite right John.  The packaging say OO/HO - which equates to 1/76.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You've made a fine job of that one Tim. I have a least two in my stash, one of which I intend to mount on either an old Hornby Class 37 chassis or maybe even a Lima Deltic. I managed to get a Finecast glazing kit as well. I took several attempts to mix the "Prototype" Deltic blue but watching old footage on Youtube it seems to be a different shade in every clip! I am sorely tempted to get the Fox decals for the stripes etc. but they cost more than the kit did! I do remember being hauled by Deltics out of Kings X in their final years and love the sound of the engines to this day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1