ONE Seat, ONE Engine, ONE War (WW2), ONE Scale (1/72), - ONE 2023 GB Proposal ***Reborn***

Paul821

As there were 13 people signed up to the previous suggestion for this GB, I had enough interest in it to relaunch it. I have removed the "one month" option from the line as a one month window would not suit everyone and a one month build time would be hard to police. The one war is defined as from the Invasion of Poland to the surrender of Japan as defined by this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

The model chosen must be in the markings of one of the generally acknowledged combatant forces and only during that countries involvement in the war - therefore no Japanese or US models prior to pearl harhor.

For clarification motorbikes are excluded from this GB! We are talking about things with wings, or rotors,

Names copied from the previous thread:

1   @Paul821 (Host)

2   @vppelt68

3   @jackroadkill

@ColonelKrypton

5   @Corsairfoxfouruncle

6   @Avereda

7   @TimJ

8   @Retired Bob

9   @2996 Victor

10  @Hockeyboy76

11  @Toryu

12  @Marklo

13  @Rafwaffe

In addition

@Bertie Psmith

@stevehnz

@Torbjorn

added their names to the thread but did not actually commit to the GB

• Like 3

I would not say Bertie did not "commit" to the GB.

I think a man has a right to vent some steam if he feels like doing that. Bertie did it in a quite civilized manner, regarding what the 'net is nowadays full of. So, with regard to it being still 11 months (11!) before the next Bunfight, you should leave this GB to the member who initiated it. Nobody has locked the original thread and made it not possible to continue posting on it. If by next September he still hasn't touched this again, it would then be polite to first PM him and ask if it's ok for you to go forward with it, if he really doesn't want it anymore.

But I can't support this action yet, I'm sorry.

Best regards, V-P

The original co-host of The One GB

An interesting turn of events.

I think it is an interesting idea for a group build and it has my support in whatever form or whomever is host.

Perhaps a gentle tug on Bertie's sleeve and a quick conversation might help resolve any outstanding concerns and allow either Bertie or Paul carry on forward with the proposal with the blessing of everyone concerned.

cheers, Graham

1 hour ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Perhaps a gentle tug on Bertie's sleeve and a quick conversation might help resolve any outstanding concerns and allow either Bertie or Paul carry on forward with the proposal with the blessing of everyone concerned.

Well I did email to apologise if I had given any offence but haven’t heard back. I really don’t like to think I upset anyone on the forums and this does have the makings of an interesting GB.

11 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I think a man has a right to vent some steam if he feels like doing that. Bertie did it in a quite civilized manner, regarding what the 'net is nowadays full of.

I'm sorry V-P but I can't let this statement go unchallenged, as it misrepresents what actually happened.

Bertie literally banned a member from participating in this Group Build (by removing him from the list of participants and telling him to go off and form his own GB), and then for good measure called him a troll.  To my mind this is unacceptable behaviour from a potential GB host.  You wouldn't do it and neither would I.

Rather than apologise, Bertie chose to withdraw his GB proposal.  That was his choice and his decision appeared to be quite clear and final.

I do agree though that it may be insensitive to attempt the resurrect this GB proposal at this time.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm sorry V-P but I can't let this statement go unchallenged, as it misrepresents what actually happened.

Bertie literally banned a member from participating in this Group Build (by removing him from the list of participants and telling him to go off and form his own GB), and then for good measure called him a troll.  To my mind this is unacceptable behaviour from a potential GB host.  You wouldn't do it and neither would I.

Rather than apologise, Bertie chose to withdraw his GB proposal.  That was his choice and his decision appeared to be quite clear and final.

I do agree though that it may be insensitive to attempt the resurrect this GB proposal at this time.

1. You're challenge is justified
  2. True, I probably wouldn't do that myself
  3. I may have got too provoked myself about the resurrection - I'm very sorry, @Paul821 

Best regards and my apologies to all concerned, V-P

• Like 4

Tbh I asked what I thought were a few legitimate questions about the entry criteria for the gb proposal.

At no point was I directly challenged and then I saw that a discussion had taken place about me, which I was not  party to, I found out that I was labelled a troll, removed from the gb and the GB was cancelled.

I’m still somewhat at a loss as to what I said that elicited such a strong reaction. As I said I did pm the op and still haven’t gotten a response and at no time did he say that he had issue with me in the thread but instead had some kind of ( I feel) quite defamatory conversation about me with other members. Anyway suffice to say I found the whole business quite upsetting.

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 3

Anyway enough said. This is supposed to be a fun and friendly modelling forum  ( leastways that’s how I see it) so let’s forget my interpersonal skills issues and  resume business as normal :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

I apologise to all concerned for the fuss that my attempted restoration of this GB has caused. I was unaware of some of the background to the original proposal and I just  considered that it was an excellent suggestion for a 2023 GB with a number of potential simple builds out there. I was about to put my name forward when I noticed the change of title and thus created this thread.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Anyway enough said. This is supposed to be a fun and friendly modelling forum  ( leastways that’s how I see it) so let’s forget my interpersonal skills issues and  resume business as normal :) 

I seem to have missed all the excitement so I have no idea what the problem is or who said what.

I thought the original idea had merit and was happy to join in if it got off the ground.  If Paul gets the GB going I will be more than happy to build something that will fit in with the rules.

• Like 2

I liked the original proposal and still like the idea. It should make for a diverse GB which still has a clear theme. 

So (if I'm allowed), I'm in for the second attempt. 

Now the trick will be to come up with an interesting set of builds. 

I was initially thinking if doing the front line fighters of the main combatants, eg spitfire, hurricane, me 109, fw190, mustang, thunderbolt and zero, but you know me I favour the eclectic, so I'll either do that but try to find some unusual markings or variants, the two that come to mind initially are the BMW engined spitfires and the turbojet FW190) although I'm not sure if that was only a paper project) 

The other thought was to go for the esoteric like the me163D or the Hawker Tornado, will have to see, should the GB happen. 

I went through my stash and to my horror I found that I do not have a single kit in stock which would fit the bill! I hang my head in shame.

I will still sign on please and will endeavour to find a candidate. The must be one out there somewhere.

Ray

Sign me up for take two. The original idea was very good, shame it fell apart to drama. I guess some people just aren't cut out for the internet...

Anyway, one seat, one engine, one war, one scale.... hmmmmm I don't see any way I can get a Vulcan into this.... nor even an Avro 707.... I will have to do the unthinkable and build something else! 

I'll provisionally say a He162 because I haven't done one before and I'd like to build one. But in reality I have no idea what I'll build.

• Like 1

First of all apologies for only just now catching up with this one.

I started with an apology as nearly every post on here so far seems to have one !  :innocent:

Lots of potential candidates in this one, for example;

Supermodel and Italeri 1/72 Italian fighters both biplanes and monoplanes. 

Hasegawa and Revell did lots of Japanese 1/72 fighter aircraft.

Off to the stash to look for something suitably obscure  :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Er, I haven't been around the GB area much since I succumbed to my 'histrionics'. Embarrassment has kept me away, to be honest. I guess social media has more traps for me than I'd anticipated. My apologies to you all.

However, I'm delighted to see that @Paul821 is carrying the idea forward and would like to say that I support it and him fully. Paul did PM me to ask if I had any objections and I said 'go for it'. Unfortunately I didn't make that sentiment public at the time - my apologies to him for that error of judgement.

And on the subject of belated apologies, I'm very sorry @Marklo for losing my temper with you over nothing, really. I hope that you didn't take it personally, if it hadn't been you, it would have been someone else, sooner or later, which is why I withdrew from the hosting in such a hurry. And won't ever be passing that way again!

• Like 11

Bertie, I'm very very glad to see you're back 😊

I take that as a kind of a Christmas present, to get a lost modelling friend back on-line. Thus, I wish You a merry Christmas! Let's all put some long needed oomph for The One GB and get it through the next Bunfight too - yes, I did in fact just yesterday pick up from my PO Revell's 1:72  P-47 and P-51 kits (in a triple boxing with a B-17 but that's another matter).

Best regards, V-P

• Thanks 1

Well done @Bertie Psmithit takes a big guy to step up after saying something which when you've had a time to reflex you wish you hadn't and then come back on here to rectify it. But I'm delighted you have done, because the place wouldn't be the same without you, well done mate 👍 

Now that's the difficult bit over, so now relax and enjoy what is supposed to be after all a relaxing hobby.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'm very sorry @Marklo for losing my temper with you over nothing, really. I hope that you didn't take it personally, if it hadn't been you, it would have been someone else, sooner or later, which is why I withdrew from the hosting in such a hurry. And won't ever be passing that way again!

Hi Bertie, thank you, apology accepted, happens to the best of us. No offense taken. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

. But I'm delighted you have done, because the place wouldn't be the same without you, well done mate

I'll dksecond that. One of the things I love about Britmodeller is the friendly easy going nature of the community and yet we're still extremely serious about the hobby, a rare mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1