Curtiss SOC-3 Seagull - Hasegawa 1/72

Hi everyone,
I'm starting to assemble this Hasegawa kit:

51636531119_e74146a4a6_c.jpg
by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

to make this aircraft:

1457078016710.jpg
VO-5 USS New York (BB-34) Source: Naval History and Heritage Command

The Curtiss SOC Seagull was a biplane scout-observation aircraft that operated from US battleships and cruisers throughout the Second World War and was designed as a replacement for the Vought 02U. Each battleship carried three SOC's for the primary purpose of spotting long range of its 14-inch guns.
All cruiser carried four planes units and these were primarily for scouting.
All models of the SOC were convertible from floatplanes to landsplanes and operated on wheels from naval air stations ashore when their parent ship was in port.

The Seagull was used to support several shore bombardments, including Operation Torch, the invasion of Sicily and the Salerno landings. During these operations it proved to be very vulnerable to enemy fighter aircraft.
The Seagull was in use on US cruisers during the battle of the Coral Sea (4-8 May 1942), at the battle of Midway of June 1942, and on the fleet that supported the invasion of Gaudalcanal and Tulagi in August 1942. At Midway twenty-eight Seagulls equipped Cruiser Scouting Squadrons 4, 5 and 6 (VCS-4, VCS-5 and VCS-6). During the Guadalcanal campaign Seagulls were used to try and find the Japanese ships ferrying reinforcements to the island at night (the Tokyo Express), with at least one being shot down.

A quick look inside the box:

51636104988_eaf36e6dab_c.jpg
VO-4, Battleship USS Colorado (Land Plane Version)

51636531029_61d1693067_c.jpg
VO-5. Battleship USS New York (Seaplane Version)

51636741140_590a198a76_c.jpg

And I'll use this little gem to detailing the engine:

51714608797_ea15d3f389_b.jpg

• Like 11

I've been eying this very same boxing as it has been gathering dust at the local hobby shop. The only thing that has kept me from adopting it has been apprehension due to the age of the molds. Hopefully this thread can put those fears to rest. That way I can let it collect dust on my shelf at home!

24 minutes ago, RainierHooker said:

The only thing that has kept me from adopting it has been apprehension due to the age of the molds.

The question you'd want to ask then is: did anyone else make a more recent/better kit of this particular subject?

AFAIK, it's the only game in town. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RainierHooker said:

I've been eying this very same boxing as it has been gathering dust at the local hobby shop. The only thing that has kept me from adopting it has been apprehension due to the age of the molds. Hopefully this thread can put those fears to rest. That way I can let it collect dust on my shelf at home!

Star fighter decals offer resin sets for the cockpit and engine.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RainierHooker said:

The only thing that has kept me from adopting it has been apprehension due to the age of the molds.

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

As alt-92 says, if it's the only kid on the block, what choice do you have? We're modellers after all, open the box and get stuck in.

Stuart

23 hours ago, alt-92 said:

The question you'd want to ask then is: did anyone else make a more recent/better kit of this particular subject?

19 hours ago, Bejay53 said:

Star fighter decals offer resin sets for the cockpit and engine.

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

As alt-92 says, if it's the only kid on the block, what choice do you have? We're modellers after all, open the box and get stuck in.

Stuart

Sure, I get all that, but since I'm trying to be a modeler and not just a kit collector (which I am admittedly bad at) I've got to pick my battles. With my current stash, It's unlikely that I'd get to any new purchase any time soon, so I need a bit more than a nudge to get me to commit to a potentially troublesome kit, even if it's the only game in town.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread. Looking forward to getting some motivation...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RainierHooker said:

With my current stash, It's unlikely that I'd get to any new purchase any time soon, so I need a bit more than a nudge to get me to commit to a potentially troublesome kit, even if it's the only game in town.

Well I hate to do this but Im gonna just throw this out here. I am trying to get a group build up that has a Four month time frame. Only if it gets a go in next years group build bunfight. Its all about modes of transport in the 20’s or 30’s.  Would that be a good time frame for you. My apologies to @Rod The Fixer for dropping a shameless plug into his build thread. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 12/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well I hate to do this but Im gonna just throw this out here. I am trying to get a group build up that has a Four month time frame. Only if it gets a go in next years group build bunfight. Its all about modes of transport in the 20’s or 30’s.  Would that be a good time frame for you. My apologies to @Rod The Fixer for dropping a shameless plug into his build thread. 

no problem don't worry 😉

• Like 1

Here is the Soc-3 Seagull seaplane embarked on the USS New York ...

51738373490_942a60af81_b.jpg

51737721368_8cb38eb19d_b.jpg

51738128164_0167d63f0c_b.jpg

51738128149_e7056e3fce_b.jpg

I applied a coat of black primer before painting it

51738128119_a97013320d_b.jpg

51736661457_8feb416b61_b.jpg