AFV CLUB 1/35 Churchill Mk.V

Npal21

This is my 1st post on the in progress forum. Unfortunately the kit is almost at an end. I am waiting on a delivery of pigments and other weathering products so I can add dirt and dust to the hull before I mount the tracks. The tracks will be weathered before they go on as well. 

I have used the plastic AFV CLUB tracks as this build will be mounted to a diorama and didn't want to waste my metal tracks. 

I am just starting to play around with some figures for the diorama. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 22

40 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

Very nice, that’s looking lovely. What paint have you used for the SCC15?

Thanks @bigfoot. I used the local manufacturer SMS Paints Scc. No 15 PL152. This was the base coat and once dry I added a drop of white paint for the "faded" large flat open areas. 

The unit numbers background have been painted on and decals used for the unit numbers and the tank name on the side air vents. 

I have also added a partial turret interior as the hatches are open and the crew will be out of the turret. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 19

Thanks @APA and @Jasper dog, these really are great kits. I have most of the AFV CLUB  Churchill's in the stash and a few Tamiya ones. The suspension would be the most time consuming part of the build , but turns out really well. 

I added 3d printed besa barrels and air intake grills from FC Model Trend. Its the 1st time I've used any 3d printed parts, and it won't be the last. Sort of gone all out on this one. 

Personally I think one of the easiest details to add to these kits are the tensioning spring for the mud scrapes. I made them out of wire in and drilled put the holes in the mud scape upper corners.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice work on the Churchill, like the retaining spring, I do the same on mine. Only thing is the top of the spring attaches to the L shaped bracket next to it, not into a hole in the sponson, but it’s a minor detail. Detailing inside the turret looks great, will definitely add some interest Wittgenstein hatches open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Nice work on the Churchill, like the retaining spring, I do the same on mine. Only thing is the top of the spring attaches to the L shaped bracket next to it, not into a hole in the sponson, but it’s a minor detail. Detailing inside the turret looks great, will definitely add some interest Wittgenstein hatches open.

Thanks @bigfoot and @Bullbasketfor the positive comments. Where abouts on the L shaped bracket do you mount your springs to out of curiosity bigfoot? 

I used the image below for my reference but it may be wrong.  I tried to get the hole as close as possible to the bottom of the L bracket, then used CA glue to fill the hole but left the wire exposed. I need to find a a smaller drill bit, and some 5 X zoom eyes to drill the holes haha.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Npal21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrykd said:

Nice work, but injection pin marks inside the turret  should be sanded down before painting. Now this doesn't look so good.

Thanks for the feedback, but once the turret is installed to the lower hull the turret roof won't be seen. I left all the injector pin marks in the lower hull for the same reason.

I managed to get some bench time after recieving my pigment delivery today. I wanted a dry dusty look, no mud or heavy weathering. I have weathered the vehicle and managed to weather the tracks and fit them. I think they came up well, once again no mud, just dust. 

The turret was a tight fit to click in but still turns. This kit is 99% done as stowage and crew will need to be added, but the vehicle is almost done. I just need to seal it in a flat coat all over. 

There is colour variation in the weathering but it's very sublte and doesnt show up as all my photos are taken on my phone. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 14

Great looking Churchill, tracks have come out really well, looking forward to seeing it complete with crew.

I prefer the grubby dusty look over mud anyway so that suits me.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Great looking Churchill, tracks have come out really well, looking forward to seeing it complete with crew.

I prefer the grubby dusty look over mud anyway so that suits me.

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks @Jasper dog for the compliment. Personally I like the dusty or in desert circumstances, a sandy finish more than mud. But I guess that's my preferred modelling topic. 

The crew will progress now the turret is in position and the crew can be adapted to fit with some alteration.

If you airbrush varnish over the pigment, will it not blow it off? Maybe you have already sealed the pigment with something?

Nice build btw.

George

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 29/05/2022 at 17:07, Goran Klevenstedt said:

Hi,

Very nice and inspiring build! Please tell who makes that tank crew

figure standing beside the tank? 

Thanks in advance

Goran/Sweden 

Thanks Goran, 

That figure is fro Djiti's Production and is item #35071. Its a great figure,  I replaced the head with one from Hornet though. 

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-figures-djiti-s-production-djit-35071-1:35-wwii-british-crew-member-wearing-typical-leather-jacket

Thanks,  

Nick

Edited by Npal21

53 minutes ago, Goran Klevenstedt said:

Hi Nick!

And thanks for your response. Your Churchill looks very nice,

I like that you have an interior in the turret, something I will do on my AVRE w/SBG bridge (Resicast).

Any chance for a diorama? 

Cheers

Göran

Hi Goran, 

Thanks for your compliments. I wanted to add a basic interior to the turret as the plan was to have the hatches open with the crew unmounted. 

Have you started your AVRE? I saw afv club have announced a new churchill bridge layer. 

The plan is for a diorama. I have a building made for it and all the scene components in the stash, just need to figure out what I want to do exactly. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi Nick, Nice building, it will be a great Diorama! What is the story?

I have built the Resicast SBG bridge and half of the AVRE Churchill.

It is nice kit both of them. I have nearly all Afv Clubs Churchill's and

I hope for inclusion of interior in the coming bridge layer kit.

Edited by Goran Klevenstedt
  • Like 1