First Model, Big Problems?

Tom143

55 minutes ago, Tom143 said:

Hi Greg, I asked this here because the question relates to building modern aircraft, I expect that potentially presents different problems to other types of kits. Should I have asked this somewhere else?

Just change the thread title to 'First model, F-14D Tomcat' and you're good 👍

2 hours ago, Greg B said:

Hi Tom,

Tools and tips / Modelling tips

Nothing in your post indicates its a modern aircraft and the question and subsequent advice given could apply to any kit genre. Therefore posting in here is not facilitating other members looking for information about building that first kit. Modern Aircraft would be the place to pose questions about a particular type.

Dont worry, you are not the only one. We are reminding members to consider the location.

Thanks for explaining. I had thought placing it in that section indicated the era of aircraft I was asking about, I’ll make sure to say that explicitly in the subject or body next time

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Just change the thread title to 'First model, F-14D Tomcat' and you're good 👍

You called it, I was a bit late. I’ll remember next time

35 minutes ago, Tom143 said:

Thanks for explaining. I had thought placing it in that section indicated the era of aircraft I was asking about, I’ll make sure to say that explicitly in the subject or body next time

You called it, I was a bit late. I’ll remember next time

Not quite, even putting the subject aircraft in the title would not have made it a topic about modern military aircraft. Your post was about whether to practice on another build first before doing the kit you really want to build and then asking about airbrushes. It wasn't about tomcats ;)

9 hours ago, Tom143 said:

I’m not sure of the exact kit yet, but it will be a 1:48 F-14 Tomcat that can be built as a ‘B’. Probably a Tamiya, if I can get a recent kit (and weapons). 

Indeed, if I hadn’t already procured mine I would probably do that (get two). If I make a mistake on the one I have I’ll try to get an identical one so I can maximise successes and lessons.

If you go with the Tamiya 1:48 F-14, you will have one of the most beautifully engineered kits ever produced, although it won't come cheap. I'm currently working on their F-14A kit; the engineering and finesse is staggering. I should think that if you take time and care, the actual construction should be quite straightforward. I used a Quinta Studios 3-D "decal" set for my cockpit, but you can get quite good results OOB. IMHO the painting will be the biggest challenge, especially if you'll be doing the Gull Gray over White scheme. I frankly wouldn't attempt this without an airbrush. Spray cans may work, but they're really messy, and in any case you're going to have a lot of small parts (landing gear etc.) that have to be painted white. Decals will also be a challenge. It being a modern jet, there will be a lot of them. If you have no experience working with decals, you're probably better off learning to use them on a less expensive kit that you don't care about so much. I'm sure others may have more to offer, but that's my initial reaction. Hope it helps. Pip

38 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

If you go with the Tamiya 1:48 F-14, you will have one of the most beautifully engineered kits ever produced, although it won't come cheap. I'm currently working on their F-14A kit; the engineering and finesse is staggering. I should think that if you take time and care, the actual construction should be quite straightforward. I used a Quinta Studios 3-D "decal" set for my cockpit, but you can get quite good results OOB. IMHO the painting will be the biggest challenge, especially if you'll be doing the Gull Gray over White scheme. I frankly wouldn't attempt this without an airbrush. Spray cans may work, but they're really messy, and in any case you're going to have a lot of small parts (landing gear etc.) that have to be painted white. Decals will also be a challenge. It being a modern jet, there will be a lot of them. If you have no experience working with decals, you're probably better off learning to use them on a less expensive kit that you don't care about so much. I'm sure others may have more to offer, but that's my initial reaction. Hope it helps. Pip

Thank you, that is a big help. I really haven’t been sure about when to move on that

high-level, expensive kit, so your words on this are very valuable. I’ll cut my teeth on the Revell 1:72 I have. I have a 1:48 Academy F-14 supposedly on its way to me, I’m now thinking I’ll just do that after the Revell and then pause and assess my skills before deciding what to do third. I am in Australia and dependent on our shipping service, so if I want something specific it might be a while before it reaches my hands, so I’ve been trying to look ahead, but I think building what I’ve already bought and then taking a breath would be a much smarter move. Much appreciated Pip.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:43 AM, Greg B said:

Not quite, even putting the subject aircraft in the title would not have made it a topic about modern military aircraft. Your post was about whether to practice on another build first before doing the kit you really want to build and then asking about airbrushes. It wasn't about tomcats ;)

And anyway, much as I hate to admit it, the F-14 is a 'Cold War', not a 'Modern' aircraft.  Even if nobody has made anything cooler since, with the possible exception of the F-20, and that's a "next year's model" version of an older Cold War lineage anyway.

Maybe get a cheap, used Monogram F-14 to do a test run with- you'll learn about things like smoothing seams, and then when you look at a Tamiya kit you'll understand the hallowed glow emanating from within the box!  (I built a 1/72 Hasegawa F-14 a long time ago, and while it is a complex airframe, it went together remarkably quickly.)

17 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

And anyway, much as I hate to admit it, the F-14 is a 'Cold War', not a 'Modern' aircraft.  Even if nobody has made anything cooler since, with the possible exception of the F-20, and that's a "next year's model" version of an older Cold War lineage anyway.

Maybe get a cheap, used Monogram F-14 to do a test run with- you'll learn about things like smoothing seams, and then when you look at a Tamiya kit you'll understand the hallowed glow emanating from within the box!  (I built a 1/72 Hasegawa F-14 a long time ago, and while it is a complex airframe, it went together remarkably quickly.)

I'd agree with that distinction... product of Vietnam, canceled by Cheney after the wall came down. Shame that the Tigershark didn't happen, the F-5 is really underrated, it would have been interesting to see what it could do with a capable radar and updated payload.

I know this sounds dumb, but could you please elaborate on how second hand kits might work... is it supposed to be a complete kit that someone just bought and didn't build, or is it more like garage sale rules, where someone might just have found it in the corner and there are no promises made or asked?

To be frank, I would suggest that you wade in and built it. The only way to learn model-making is to do it. No-one produces perfect results from their first build (although some might tell you otherwise - they're lying). 

Get stuck in, my friend. Even if your first few kits are "below expectations" and end up binned, if you've learned from them, then they were NOT wasted.  

Cheers. 

Chris. 

second-hand kits: There's a for sale/ wanted section here on BM, which might be best if you are in the UK.  Most shows/contests have vendors, and you can get great 'bargains' there- though it is easy, at the end of the day, to realize that you have gotten far too many great bargains!  Yes, your local "flea market/yard sale/Goodwill" can sometimes turn up kits that somebody is disposing of.  Or, for that matter, other local modellers can sometimes be persuaded to let something move from their clutter to yours.  Of course there's an element of risk, though if you're buying in person it is usually pretty easy to check.  I've had very very few problems.  Sometimes you end up with some extra goodies, too!

bob

p.s. It also opens up a lot more possibilities, because not everything has been produced recently enough to get stocked by your local kitseller!  Come to think of it, some shoppes also sell second-hand kits.