1/144 - Myasishchev M-50 "Bounder" by MikroMir - 3D renders - release in 2023 ?

Homebee

By the whiskers of Zeus' beard, what a monster! Did you have to add a Myasishchev-shaped extension on to Melchett Towers just to house the thing, your Generalship? I've seriously thought about buying the Amonster kit, but thought (in an all-too-rare fit of good sense) where am I going to display it even if I ever build it? However, not to worry, I'm certain that my built-in foolishness shall overcome my common sense (not much of struggle there, to be honest), and I shall buy the Amonster Bounder. Even though the 1/144th scale kit would make so much more sense.

Bestest,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Thanks chaps,

In terms of length how does it compare to, say, the Vulcan?

Lengthwise, the Bounder was 188ft 7ins (57.48m) with a wingspan of 82ft 4ins (25.10m). I don't have a photo of it next to a Vulcan but this is it against another monster, my 1/72nd B-70C Valkyrie, an aircraft that's not exactly shy on size.....stacks up pretty well.

1-P1050999.jpg

An impressive beast although I seem to remember reading that it had serious aerodynamic deficiencies prior to its cancellation.

The main problem, as with many early Soviet jet aircraft, were the engines. The M-50 was only a technical demonstrator and the planned Zoobets RD16s weren't ready for operational use at the time, so substitute Dobrynin VD-7s (as fitted to the Tu22 Blinder) were fitted as a stop gap (the two inners only, fitted with reheat). The operational version, M-52, featured many aerodynamic revisions and was designed from the outset to use the Zubets engines. In this guise it may well have found more success as a weapons platform but unfortunately it only got as far as a mockup due to the cancellation of the project in favour of ballistic missile technology..

For those interested watch this:

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Am I the only one who sees a Gerry Andersonish look to this photo? cue the Tracy brothers. :)

Looks super General, I can see a 1/144 one of these & an M3 in my future. <_< 

Steve

I'm with you, Steve.  That was exactly my first thought too.  I can just imagine some outriders from Thunderbird 2 helping it land after the undercarriage had malfunctioned.  Speaking of Gerry Anderson I often wonder whether Thunderbird 1 was inspired the the EE Lightning (or maybe the other way round!)

• Like 3

Excellent footage there General of some fine aerial Soviet heavy metal! I say, old pork pie, but your house must be about the size of Monino airfield to house all the large models you've built! Did you do a WIP on your Amonster Bounder? I really am getting the urge to buy one now, not that weedy, little 1/144th trifle!

Yours In Perpetual Motion,

Jason

P.S. Meatbox8, you may have very well seen this 'aeroplane', but for sheer even Gerry Anderson would have refused to use it in 'Thunderbirds' because it was simply too outlandish and unbelievable, there's the Beriev-Bartini VVA-14, which has to be seen to be believed, and even then it's a struggle to believe it was real.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you, Ken! I think I've already seen your excellent work on the Bounder, but I'll take another look. I've seen your photographs on the Bounder, and if I ever do my book on the Bounder (it's on my long list of books to write), I shall be asking you for the use of said photographs.

Best Regards,

Jason

Stang, me old mucka....I built this thing years ago, when first released (got it for a steal via Linden Hill) and never did a WIP, unfortunately. You really should get one...I’m currently reviving the Amodel 3M now that I have more detailed info. This will also help with the MM 3MD.

Really pleased to see MikroMir release these Soviet beasts, especially the Blinder, Bounder and Bison. As you say, a Bartini VVA-14 would be the icing on the cake...especially the later, revised VVA-14M1P, (or planned VTOL version, that I know Ken built). 

• Like 1

I'm glad to see them being released, also, General, even if 1/144th scale isn't exactly my cuppa. I've always felt the more the merrier when it comes to interesting Soviet beasties, and there's always the chance they might upscale some of these to 1/72nd scale. And I really do wish someone, anyone would release an early model Bear in 1/72nd scale. Now Modelsvit have already kitted the weird and wonderful VVA-14 in 1/72nd scale and that's one I definitely need to track down. I came within an ace of ordering the Amonster Bounder today, but common sense and financial reasons stopped me at the last moment. Still, I feel my resolve slowly weakening, and my common sense can only last so long...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

And I really do wish someone, anyone would release an early model Bear in 1/72nd scale

They do (sort of). Amodel released the Tu-95M/U a while back, the M being an upgraded standard Tu-95 with Kuznetsov NK-12M engines and the U, a modified trainer variant of the Bear A. There, don’t say I never help you out...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, general melchett said:

They do (sort of). Amodel released the Tu-95M/U a while back, the M being an upgraded standard Tu-95 with Kuznetsov NK-12M engines and the U, a modified trainer variant of the Bear A. There, don’t say I never help you out...

Perish the thought, your Generalship! You are the very soul of helping others out! I, of course, have the Amonster kit, and although it's a nice enough kit, and one I will get to during the course of this millennium, I would give several non-essential body parts (such as my frontal lobes) for someone to release a pre-Tu-95H/Tu-142 in all-injection-moulded plastic. I of course also have the late model Trumpeter Tu-95H, but to backdate it to an early Bear would take so much work that it's not really feasible, certainly not to one with my feeble modelling talents. I want something to the standards of say, Airfix's new Vulcan, but with a Tu-95 Bear-A, or Bear-D in its place. Is that too much to ask the modelling Gods for? Do I not make daily sacrifices to them (if eating chocolate chip cookies count as sacrifice)? Have I not shed much blood for them (and I have the X-Acto blades to prove it)? In all seriousness, despite the size and complexity of the subject, I would have expected someone to have come out with an early Bear in IM plastic by now. Still, if I have to eat some more choco..., I mean sacrifice some more, then I will.

As Always, Etc.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fair enough, old bangseat, I agree, it’s unlikely we’ll see one produced by the mainstream wallers any time soon, but it would be nice, (a Tu-95V equipped with Tsar Bomba would be very welcome). Meanwhile, let us thank the modelling Gods for the likes of MikroMir providing us with these little gems.

• Like 1

As luck would have it, old horse and buggy, just this week I received my Amodel kit of the Tsar Bomba and I was thinking how nice it would be to have the Tu-95V to display it with. Now if I could only shrink down the Bear at Monino to 1/72nd scale...

Etc., etc., etc.,

Jason

• Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Myasishchev M-50 "Bounder" by MikroMir - 3D renders - release in 2023 ?