1:20 Tamiya Mclaren MP4/8 - European Grand Prix - Ayrton Senna

Built this last year during quarantine. First F1 model I had built in about 15 years. This kit had been sitting in in a box in the garage since before my first child was born. I had always wanted to complete this kit just as I have.

I did not complete the engine, and glued the cowling onto the kit. A true curbside kit for sure. There are a couple spots I'm not happy with but overall I'm pretty happy with it. The part that bugs me the most is that I completely flubbed the nose stripe. I didn't notice it until assembly I did a horrible masking job and didn't paint far enough back towards the mirrors. Most wont notice but you know damn well that will bug me. Paint turned out good, decals went on well, and it looks like a real race car. Haha.

Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 16

Looks good and correct to my eyes  . I was at that race and can still vividly remember Sennas car doing the now legendary overtakes down the Craner Curves on the first lap . We went home cold and wet , knowing we had watched what is now regarded as an F1 classic race . 

Gary . 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tehSAC said:

Most wont notice

I have to be honest; I noticed it before I read the blurb! Just one of those things, though; not everything can be fixed.

I have binned a few car kits in frustration at the difficulty of painting the bodywork (or fighting with decals), so I know exactly how you feel. You're probably noticing it partly because everything else is well executed, so to your view, it sticks out. I think that it'll recede from your mind when it has been on display for a little while and you'll appreciate it more.

Now, by showing this, you've unknowingly made a little nudge to me, because I have an MP4/7 which has been waiting for its stripes for a long ol' time. I need to push myself over that hump and use yours as a bit of inspiration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Looks good and correct to my eyes  . I was at that race and can still vividly remember Sennas car doing the now legendary overtakes down the Craner Curves on the first lap . We went home cold and wet , knowing we had watched what is now regarded as an F1 classic race . 

Gary . 

Wow, I'm jealous.   I was watching here in the US.   Tape delayed of course, cause it was almost impossible to see a race live here at that time.

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I watched it on telly so was warm and dry!

Lovely model tehSAC, I do like F1 cars with wets on! Nice job on Ayrton too!

Keith

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Donington 1993 winner a great choice and the model looks very good! A shame about the dayglo but the driver and the flag make up for it,especially this driver... Chris.

Thank you.   First time painting a figure as well.   Would like to give it another go in the future.

3 hours ago, Ade H said:

I have to be honest; I noticed it before I read the blurb! Just one of those things, though; not everything can be fixed.

I have binned a few car kits in frustration at the difficulty of painting the bodywork (or fighting with decals), so I know exactly how you feel. You're probably noticing it partly because everything else is well executed, so to your view, it sticks out. I think that it'll recede from your mind when it has been on display for a little while and you'll appreciate it more.

Now, by showing this, you've unknowingly made a little nudge to me, because I have an MP4/7 which has been waiting for its stripes for a long ol' time. I need to push myself over that hump and use yours as a bit of inspiration.

Thank you.   It still sticks out to me, but to most who have seen it, don't notice it.   Its such a iconic livery, and it bums me out that I screwed it up.   

I have a 1/20 MP4/4 with the Top Studio super detail set in my stash.   That will be my next F1 car I build.

52 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Nice one. Looks very well painted and decalled. What red did you use for future reference? Very vibrant. 👏

Thank you!  I tested two different colors for the "Red".  They were sprayed from the can too FYI.  Was planning TS-96, but it was way too orange for me. Too orange from what I remember. The TS-36 is too pink. So I sprayed 96 over the 36 and the result is exactly what I wanted.   I've seen the color in person and its still a little off, but close enough for me.   :)

This was just the TS-96 on the white.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Malc2 said:

Looks good, thanks for the colour info - always interesting to see how different fluro reds translate in to photos.

Where did you get the rain tyres from?

Malc.

Yea it is definitely difficult to get the true color of that red in photos.   I remember the first time I saw it in person I was taken back at how bright it was.

I believe I purchased them from Macs Modeling.    I believe they are made by Hiro.

Here is a link to a online retailer selling them.  https://www.hibroom.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=637720

Looks good to me too, and I wouldn't have picked up on the painting if you hadn't said.

Like many others here, I was one of those who can remember watching it on TV - Donington may have been as near as F1 got to where I grew up but still too far away and too expensive to go.

Nice work and great to see Senna at the wheel. Vivid memories of Williams having an absolute nightmare of a race. I'd forgotten that this was the race where the McLaren sported a squashed hedgehog decoration in reference to beating Williams (sponsored by Sega) in the previous race 😆