Struggling a bit for inspiration

Adam Poultney

So you may know if you've followed any of my few threads over the past few months that I'm at uni now.

There is no viable option for airbrushing, and any large models are entirely out of the question; I'll work on those in the summer, I've got a 1/32 Lancaster to get on with in summer 2022. 

My go to subject to build, obviously a Vulcan, is still a favourite, but really I want to be the building 1/200 kits for an aircraft of this size and short of ordering directly from Hong Kong, they aren't exactly the easiest kit to get hold of in large quantities at the moment (if someone would just sell me 10 or so of them that would be very nice....). 1/144 is viable but the supply of GWH Vulcans is just as bad, and Trumpeter ones just aren't ideal (although I haven't tried cutting one up yet to make a B1..... not sure it's even doable)

So I'm a bit stuck for ideas. What do I want to build? I love large models, can't do those. Vulcans are my thing, but I can't find the right kits. I like to build Luftwaffe stuff when I'm not doing V Bombers, but I really need the airbrush for those. I'd kind of like to branch out into airliners, but most of the kits are just too big even in 1/144. Painting white isn't an issue at least, I can use spray cans outside. 

When Beacon Models really gets going, there should be a plentiful supply of 1/144 kits of ww2 subjects that I'd like to build, have space for and the Luftwaffe subjects probably don't need mottling as much (their range looks to be mostly early war stuff), but the first release is still months away. 

What do I build until then? Basically I need ideas! 

Conversion projects are still viable, I'm working on converting a 1/200 Vulcan B2 into a B1. These are great as a student as they take longer to complete, so I have to spend less to fund this hobby. Short run kits are probably just as good, plus they often cover obscure subjects or neglected variants that I like. 

Small scales, obviously ideal because of space. 

British subjects from ww2 to cold war, Luftwaffe subjects that don't need mottling, maybe even Soviet stuff since they made some very very nice looking planes. Maybe even a tank.

I need ideas for kits to butcher! 

• Like 1

While not exactly answering what you're asking, try Tamiya's 1/12 motorbikes. Use the Tamiya sprays for the big and glossy areas, build from the box. Lovely kits, large scale yet small models, interesting selection and the older kits are not all that expensive. And they're something that ordinary people feel comfortable with. 

Figures?

I don't know. 

I was in a similar situation to yourself, where I couldn't build stuff for lack of space, or use an airbrush (not that I had one at the time), although finances were more of an issue at the time.  So I gave up, took up video gaming instead.  Then came back to aircraft modelling (and models in general) more recently, some years later.  Unfortunately I'm back where space is a concern for aircraft models (and if I'm honest any other scale models), so I've gone back, for that and other reasons, to my "bread and butter" which is Warhammer stuff (I can stuff them in boxes for storage more easily).

Edited by RobL

I built these two diminutive Fleas and was impressed with them being my first 3D printed kits, as opposed to aftermarket.

Flying Flea 3D printed model kits.

My only issue is the printing support within the engine which was just too fiddly for me to remove, however the model is so tiny you really need to look to see it.

Highly recommended especially for change of pace and style.

You can still build bigger kits up to the point of painting and put them aside for when you can use an airbrush. This is what I had to do when I worked offshore with no access to anything other than a basic toolkit. Is there a Modelling Club at your Uni that might have the facilities?

Duncan B

Hi Adam,

Regarding your Luftwaffe builds and their need of an airbrush - is this due to the mottling present on many airframes?  If so, you can do it with a brush to a certain degree.  The kit below was my third or fourth build and the second one I mottled with a brush.

spacer.png

Knowing what I do now I know that a better job could be done fairly easily.  With your experience I'm sure you'd be able to do a better job than this straight away.

If you like 1/144 then there are a number of good and cheap kits of modern types from Revell . These would be in camo schemes for which you could easily paintbrush or use cans and even a large fighter like a Tomcat in 1/144 scale is pretty small. I would also check Amodel if you don't mind short run kits, they have several kits of types that would be larger than a fighter but smaller than an airliner or a Vulcan, like the Canberra, the HU-16, Lancaster and so on. These kits are not the easiest but with some work (ok, sometime a lot of work...) can be built into very nice replicas. Roden also have kits in this scale of interesting subjects.

Of course unfortunately the range available in 1/144 is a fraction of what can be had in 1/72 scale...

1/72 is a scale that works well as a compromise between detail and size, a 1/72 WW2 single engined fighter is small enough and the choice of subjects is very wide. As you don't mind short run kits, companies like Special Hobby offer a range of subjects that are sure different than the usual Spitfire/109/Mustang/190 and some of these lesser known types are actually quite eye-catching. Don't know however if they would interest you.

If then you want to try something totally different, I can suggeast 1/72 tanks: I like them a lot as a way to distract myself from my aircraft projects, they include a high number of parts so take some time but occupy very little room when completed and can be stored easily. With only a few exception they can be easily brushpainted and can be used as a great canvas for a number of weathering techniques if interested in these things. There are today plenty of such kits from many manufacturers, from simplified models aimed at wargamers to highly detailed kits with PE parts.

Change of pace without interfering with your big bomber preference. Build an armour kit. I find throwing such a subject in occasionally is great. Not a lot room needed. Less reliance on an air brush. Good fun. I build in 1/35 and yet there are also now some great 1/48 options.

There are indeed an increasing number of 1/144 subjects.  One of my favourite types in 1/72 is the Arado Ar 96 trainer, and this is available in 1/144.  This will satisfy you for Luftwaffe types, with a range of other users including Hungarian, Bulgarian and post-war French (and Czech).  Not perhaps the widest range of colour schemes, but it is a lovely neat type.  If I was much younger I'd be making 1/144 instead of 1/72 because it appears to be an increasingly lively scale whereas 1/72 manufacturers seem to be heading to ever more hundreds of tiny pieces which don't fit together well.  However, as an ex-HP man I really don't understand this obsession with the tin tea tray where there are perfectly good Victor kits...

When I was at Uni in the late 60s I used to make the Airfix 1/76 tanks just to keep my hand in, and I still do (though not just Airfix).  A little later there were the Japanese 1/700 range of warships that could have filled the same need.  These would still make a refreshing change but the later better kits have gone down the thousands of tine parts route.

• Like 1

Luftwaffe?

No mottling?

Something a bit our of the ordinary?

What about this experimental Mistel combo consisting of a Bf109E and DFS 230 glider?

spacer.png

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/mistel-dfs-230--me-109.html

There are a number of images in the excellent "Mistel: German Composite Aircraft and Operations 1942-1945" by Robert Forsyth. Image quality isn't brilliant so it's hard to identify exactly what scheme the 109 was painted in but there doesn't appear to be any mottling. There are a few profiles online, plus one in the aforementioned book but I suspect that at best they're educated guesses.

There is a 1/72 1980s tooling of the glider by Huma which includes the necessary Mistel bits (including the uprated undercarriage to take the added weight of the 109) which pops up on ebay every now and again, though I haven't yet bought one so can't speak to the quality.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

When I was at Uni in the late 60s I used to make the Airfix 1/76 tanks just to keep my hand in, and I still do (though not just Airfix).  A little later there were the Japanese 1/700 range of warships that could have filled the same need.  These would still make a refreshing change but the later better kits have gone down the thousands of tine parts route.

The oldest assembled model that I still have is the Fujimi kit of the battleship Haruna, which I built in my student digs in 1984. It's a nice enough kit and might still be available from somewhere (I bought another about 10 years ago) although it's long since been superseded by a more modern tooling. As well as the tiny parts syndrome another issue with later 1/700 ship kits is likely to be cost. I gritted my teeth and shelled out what I thought was a high price for the Tamiya Repulse when it was issued but I see it's now going for almost £50 which to my mind is, erm, excessive. The V&W Class destroyer, which builds into a good but very small model, is £17. On the other hand some older kits are still available quite cheaply and are often perfectly decent Nelson, Rodney, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and KGV come to mind.

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I would also check Amodel if you don't mind short run kits, they have several kits of types that would be larger than a fighter but smaller than an airliner or a Vulcan, like the Canberra, the HU-16, Lancaster and so on. These kits are not the easiest but with some work (ok, sometime a lot of work...) can be built into very nice replicas.

That's actually a good shout I'll have a look at the AModel Canberra. I don't want something that will just fall together because I'll complete it in a few sittings, a model that will take more time, which it looks like this will, is ideal. Also not too many delicate bits to break in transport back home once it's completed

5 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Regarding your Luftwaffe builds and their need of an airbrush - is this due to the mottling present on many airframes?  If so, you can do it with a brush to a certain degree.  The kit below was my third or fourth build and the second one I mottled with a brush.

Yes, it's the mottling that would cause a problem. I'm not such a fan of brushed or sponge applied mottling

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Mottling isn't present on all Luftwaffe types other than the fighters (not always then) and some late bombers.  Of course that does then limit you to largely 70/71, 72/73, all black, all white, all 02, desert 78/79 (two different shades of each), 61/62/63...   Pretty severe?  Then there are the oddballs such as the 74/76 (if that's what it was) on maritime He.177s or the similar greys on JG 5 fighters and zerstoerers.  And a few others.

42 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

That's actually a good shout I'll have a look at the AModel Canberra. I don't want something that will just fall together because I'll complete it in a few sittings, a model that will take more time, which it looks like this will, is ideal. Also not too many delicate bits to break in transport back home once it's completed

With Amodel kits there's no risk of the pieces falling together... 🤣

Really kits from this company usually require some work, with the more recent of course being better than the older ones. Expect having to shave plastic here and there to have everything fit properly and then having to use good amounts of filler

Said that I tend to like these kits as even with the added complications during the build, they tend to feature nice details and can result in very good looking models. I built their Albatross in 1/144 and although it was not an easy build (made even more complicated by my decision to replicate a different version with shorter wings), I really liked building it. I have their Lancaster and Lancastrian and in the box they look very nice, with some very delicate PE parts as well. I of course also have a number of their 1/72 kits (of which I built the IAR.80) and they cover very interesting subjects, particularly Russian cold war types (but not only, their Hawker Fury is very nice)

6 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Mottling isn't present on all Luftwaffe types other than the fighters (not always then) and some late bombers.  Of course that does then limit you to largely 70/71, 72/73, all black, all white, all 02, desert 78/79 (two different shades of each), 61/62/63...   Pretty severe?  Then there are the oddballs such as the 74/76 (if that's what it was) on maritime He.177s or the similar greys on JG 5 fighters and zerstoerers.  And a few others.

Luckily I'm a huge fan of 71/70 schemes and Do17s which it was common on (I have of one of those lined up for the Do17 STGB, which has 9 days of overlap with Easter Break when I'll be home and have the airbrush).

I suppose I could look for some decals to do a Bf109E in 70/71 (I think some of those wore that scheme), maybe a stuka even. 

I've got these small kits in my for sale thread if they could tempt you? I'll obviously adjust postage for a multiple buy.

1/100 Aircraft

Nu Bee Mil Mi 4. 10 GBP            About 14 + post on the bay!                        

Tamiya Me 262 & Me163 kit no 61604.500  6GBP

Revell Bell UH-1H Gunship No 04067 Dated 1994 8GBP

1/200 Aircraft

Italeri  B-52G Stratofortress  No851 10GBP

1/144 Aircraft

Crown Lancaster B1   No 433-300  10GBP

Minicraft No 14402 B-24J Liberator. Dated 2001.  Shrink wrapped. (Over 20 GBP + post on ebay), 15GBP

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

1/200 Aircraft

Italeri  B-52G Stratofortress  No851 10GBP

Now this does have my attention. Big 1950s jet bomber, not too much bigger than a Vulcan:

2560px-Avro_Vulcan_B.2_in_flight_with_a_

In 1/200 it's an ideal size. I see it's a 1988 tooling so might need a little work? Ideal.

There are some nice camo schemes around for B52s, even if the colours look a bit odd sometimes when you're so used to RAF schemes. 

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'm not such a fan of brushed or sponge applied mottling

Me neither especially, but I think I'm going to give it another try using a refinement of the technique I used on the G-2 above.  I'll let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Luftwaffe subjects that don't need mottling,

loads to chose from. John at AIMS did  a great decal sheet entitled "Monotone Me's"  - eleven Messerschmitts in single-colour finishes including NJG Bf 110s, the Bf 109 G-10s of NJG 11 as depicted on a certain blog, Bf 109s of JG 1, Me 262s and two subjects for the Me 163.

• Like 1