HP Halifax in canada WW2

brewerjerry

Hi

All, long shot, I have sorted my info for a Short Stirlng & Avro lancaster in canada in 1944

So now searching for info on Halifax a/c in WW2 

apparently .....

Handley Page HP 57 Halifax Mk. V (4), (Serial Nos. DG399, EB127, EB138, EB157), HP 61 Halifax Mk. VI (1), (Serial No. RG814), for a total of 5 aircraft operated by the RCAF in Canada.

info from 

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/canadian-warplanes-3-handley-page-halifax

and also confirmed on the bill walker serial site 

Any Info on where the halifax were based or operated in canada or which units would be great 

as would any info on camo or photos 

cheers

jerry 

PS 

I must be getting senile, there are photos on tbe page i linked and info on the unit 

Edited by brewerjerry

Canadian Military Aircraft Serials and Photographs by J.A. Griffin.

Halifax V, CI = Converted Instructional.
DG399, on 17 Jul 44, off 28 Mar 47, instructional A424, CI 17 Jul 44, Not flown.
EB127, on 17 Jul 44, off 28 Mar 47, instructional A422, CI 17 Jul 44, Not flown.
EB138, on 17 Jul 44, off 28 Mar 47, instructional A423, CI 17 Jul 44, Not flown.
EB157, on 17 Jul 44, off 28 Mar 47, instructional A426, CI 17 Jul 44, Instructional - Aylmer

Halifax VI RG814, on 5 Dec 45, off 10 Jun 47, to UK, Winter Experimental Establishment Edmonton

RAF Notes,

DG399, on 14 Mar 43, Canada 8 Jul 44.
EB127, on 12 Apr 43, Canada 17 Jun 44
EB138, on 3 May 43, Canada 14 Jun 44
EB157, on 17 May 43, Canada 5 Jul 44.

RG814, on 29 Jun 45, Canada on Loan, UK, SOC 5 May 48.

Canadian Military Aircraft does not mention any Short Stirlings in Canada, but does have 228 locally built Lancaster X from the FM and KB serials but officially the first to the RCAF was on 10 Jun 45.  Also Lancaster EE182 (amusingly listed as a Meteor), on 10 Jan 44, off 4 Mar 48, on loan - Kapuskasing.  RAF says EE182 on charge 11 Jun 43, Provisionally Struck off Charge 21 Jun 47, Harry Holmes says with 101 then 103 squadrons, to USA July 53 (yes 53), then Winter tests in Canada 1944/45.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

Canadian Military Aircraft Serials and Photographs by J.A. Griffin.

Hi

Many thanks for the info, I didnt know about this book, I will look for one 

The stirling and Lanc (aries) were on seperate tours across canada in 1944, going back after reaching the west coast of BC 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

The cited Lancaster EE182 was a veteran of operations with 103 Squadron.  It was flown over in the summer of 1943 in preparation for cold weather trails at Kapuskasing Ontario (average nightime low temperature in January is -23.9 degrees Celsius). 

There are photographs on the 'net including a couple at an unscheduled refuelling stop in Moran Michigan that summer.  The pilot told onlookers he was lost on a flight from Montreal to Dayton Ohio where they were supposed to do some drop tests with army vehicles.  Interestingly, the machine still carried squadron codes but the flame dampers on the exhausts had been dispensed with.

Tangential to the topic but what the heck.

Edited by RJP
fat finger spelling correction
  • Like 1

Hi

Thanks found some photos, EE182 looks like it almost went into a hedge/trees

http://www.militarian.com/threads/lancaster-ee182-at-moran-michigan-u-s-a.2856/

story of the drop trial and photos there is interesting 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Apart from the airframe details, I noted the place they landed for fuel.  Moran (near St Ignace) is off the direct route Montreal to Dayton by 500 miles.  A bit of perspective on how easy life has become with GPS and such.  I guess the trees may not have been the biggest problem they had that day.

• Like 1