The numerous Bismark ship kits..... quality?

I was looking at the various Bismark kits in 1/350, and there are a few.... Trumpeter, Revel, Tamiya, Academy. 

I am wondering if, from your own building experience, you could choose a "best" kit of Bismark, for fit, detail, etc.? 

And perhaps you could comment on Bismark in 1/700 kits also.

Many thanks. 

I've heard the Revell kit is good (only 'heard' mind).

But, really it all depends on how much PE and other aftermarket (wooden decks and 3D printed detail) you want to throw at a kit.

Search in the forums and see what build logs you can find

Tom

Edited by Modelholic

Through no design of my own, I have 3 Bismarck kits, a revell one in 1/570 from 1991, which we'll ignore. The other two are academy 1/350 (14109, I think from the 1980s) and revell 1/350 (05040, 2007).

The academy, my partner got for £5 in a charity shop. Hmm, the flakvierling is just a blob of square plastic...it took me quite a while just to figure out what that was meant to be! I've spent many times that £5 on extras (wood decks, pe, resin parts, barrels, etc). If I could, I'd replace even more. I'd hope the molds for this are much improved now, I have other academy products that are very good, but this sits uncompleted and will do for quite a while. I also have concerns over general accuracy.

The revell is simply a joy by comparison and I've heard is better than Tamiya's (not sure if that applies currently). This was a birthday present, and could be put together into a half decent build out the box, however it too will receive much pe, wooden deck etc. But molds are crisp and there is plenty of detail (railings will need replacing, much too thick in plastic).

Barring the '91 version which I bought as a teenager, these were gifted, but in all honesty I wouldn't have bought any other than Flyhawk's 1/700 version, both to save money, get a very decent model in one purchase and for size. I'd much rather have, say, bismarck and hood in 1/700 for the space of a single Bissy. Or you may go the opposite way and lump for the 1/200 trumpeter version...

As above, I'd search scalemates.com (or search on here for builds), to find the one you want, there's links to reviews in addition to linking to the matching pe etc. But in short, at 1/350, prob the tamiya or revell one, esp with aftermarket parts as either will serve as a very good base or even as a oob build.

David

Also check out the anatomy of the ship book on Bismarck, it's a lifesaver, esp if you get the academy one and have to figure out what you'll need to scratch or what the parts are meant to be!

14 hours ago, Rob G said:

Umm... try 1963, which gives it an excuse for being not exactly up to spec. ;)

In that case, it is quite excellent for its age. I'd assumed they'd retooled in the intervening 30 years from the rebox date...still, if you intend to do this:

03cbf989-4480-4472-9d8a-6822647fed99.jpg

...I don't think the quality matters too much.

David

It comes down to what you want to pay really, I have the revell lit and (I'm biased) I think it looks great though I'm yet to really do much on it. 

I searched just about every site there is for reviews and the consensus I found was revell was the way to go at leat up until the new trumpeterkit came out. Currently the revel kit is less than 60 on amazon and ebay, my local shop doesn't stock revell,  I got mine dirt cheap by luck on ebay so if you can wait you could get a bargain.  The two eduard sets are reasonably good value and the shots on eduard site of them 'applied' give a good view of the kit thrown together without any real care. 

That said the new trumpeter kit looks like it would look great out of the box withoit any extra detail sets but it's 2 - 3 times the price. Personally I just think the revel kit just has nicer lines. 

There's a comparison review here;

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5856:trumpeter-deutsches-schlachtschiff-bismarck-1350&catid=69

It's in German but Google translate sorts that out, 

Hope that helps, 

Sam

Revell is the best kit in 1/350. Most accurate, nice details and available in a Platinum Edition if you really want to go to town.

In 1/700 the best kit by miles and miles is Flyhawk. Get the Deluxe Edition and you can go crazy!

Gidday, can I add my two bits worth? I prefer to model in 1/600 scale, but although the opening post asks about 1/350 and 1/700 scale kits the Revell 1/570 got mentioned. I did that model quite a few years ago, OOB as all my builds were back then and quite liked it. I think I got it on special at just under $20 AUS, about 25 years ago. After buying it but before building it I bought the Airfix 1/600 Bismarck, for $30 AUS. I took it home, opened the box, took a good look and closed the box again, regretting ever buying it. In my opinion it was rubbish. The Revell kit in that scale (1/570 is only 5% difference in size) was a much better kit. But I haven't seen that kit in the shops for years now. Similarly the Revell Scharnhorst in 1/570 is a better model than the Airfix 1/600 kit, again IMHO. But he Airfix Bismarck wasn't totally wasted - I've used it for parts. Regards, Jeff.

Academy's is poor. Tamiya's is almost my age and very simplistic by today's standards having started life as a motorised toy. Revell is accurate and well detailed but is prone to being a bit, well, Revell, which is to say a pig to build to a high standard due to indifferent parts fit. The new Trumpeter kit is probably the best one in this scale at this point in time.

I agree with @Alan P about 1/700 though. If there's a Flyhawk option, it's generally safe to assume it's the best and the same is true here also.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2021 at 01:53, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I bought the Airfix 1/600 Bismarck, for $30 AUS. I took it home, opened the box, took a good look and closed the box again, regretting ever buying it. 

I'd endorse that Jeff.  I returned to modelling 16 years ago after a long lay off after my teenage years and did so after a nasty road traffic accident in which I was recuperating at home and temporarily relying on a wheel chair to get about.  My wife picked me up a Bismarck in our local Hobbycraft but just like you, I opened the box and couldn't bring myself to build it.  A couple of years later I gave it to my son who was then about 10 years old and his 3rd kit (after the ubiquitous Spitfire and Me 109); even he commented "this is a bit rubbish isn't it".

Now I must confess I am neither a fan of nor an expert in Bismarck kits but I will say that I have seen a couple of cracking Revell 1/350 examples at local model shows pre-lockdown.  How much work was needed to get there I do not know.

• Like 1

Gidday, if you like the 1/600 scale (or near to it) Revell do/did a Bismarck and Scharnhorst in 1/570. Much better than the Airfix Bismarck. Unfortunately I haven't seen any in the shops here now for quite a few years. As for my Airfix Bismarck, I've cannibalized it for parts. Regards, Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...

The best 1.350 kit for Bismarck ( for me ) is the Trumpeter , followed by the Revell

then coming in third ( great fit ) is the Tamiya which dates from the 1970’s 

and really shows in the soft detail .

Although I add the caveat that it depends on how much aftermarket you throw at either of the 3 kits .

Agreed the Airfix Bismarck 1/600 is a dog ( and not that accurate  )

Edited by 73north