Inspiration required

FlyingBagpipe

Hello folks,

I have been on and off with building my 1/32 Tamiya T-55A for so long now it is getting embarrassing.

Anyways, the search tab isn't coming back with much so I was hoping folks could share pics of T-55 tanks (any scale) which they have built in the past (or are building now) to give me some inspiration to light a fire under this project's butt and get it moving.

Any interesting reference pics that you have laying around would be great too as I have not even decided on what style I am gonna go with. Was thinking maybe Syrian, Czech or Egyptian...

TIA

These are all 1/48 scale - based on Tamiya's recent 2020 release. Hopefully they will provide some inspiration.

1) Soviet T-54B that broke a bridge during Operation Danube in 1968 (invasion of Czechoslovakia) - try an image search on your preferred search engine using 'Karlovy Vary tank 1968'

2) Soviet T-55 with deep wading fittings (snorkel and engine deck covers - the training snorkel (seen here) was designed to assist crews to escape from the vehicle easily and fitted over the loader's hatch. The 'combat' snorkel was a narrow tube fitted over one of the periscopes and required the crew to don breathing aparatus, flood the tank and then exit through the hatches - (just like a submarine).

3) The third model is of a generic MENA (Middle East North African) T-55 in a street setting.

117770221_2669919149914420_4032046661673

117872854_2669919186581083_5705441803230

93695747_2569051773334492_15114594688968

93595757_2569051780001158_70602417585709

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, FlyingBagpipe said:

Hello folks,

I have been on and off with building my 1/32 Tamiya T-55A for so long now it is getting embarrassing.

Anyways, the search tab isn't coming back with much so I was hoping folks could share pics of T-55 tanks (any scale) which they have built in the past (or are building now) to give me some inspiration to light a fire under this project's butt and get it moving.

Any interesting reference pics that you have laying around would be great too as I have not even decided on what style I am gonna go with. Was thinking maybe Syrian, Czech or Egyptian...

TIA

Star Decals are your friend here. Some interesting options for Syrian and Egyptian tanks in '67 and '73 plus some more unusal options for African or Afghan ones. I have some of the 1/48 versions for when my T-55s bubble to the top of the pile.

Star Decals for T-55

Andy

• Thanks 1

Tamiya's old kit is unfortunately confused and flawed.  Which doesn't realy help with your mojo........  It isn't really a T-55A, more of a T-55.  Blast Models do a nice correction set for it, but you still need new wheels with the enlarged front hubs (Miniart) and replacement tracks if vinyl isn't your thing.  And a lot of other detailing such as the fuel plumbing.  But with the cost and work of that lot you're better off just switching to one of the infinitely better Miniart kits and sacking off the old Tamiya offering.

Czech built tanks had a different rear deck grille arrangement, which Blast also have.  So OOB the Tamiya kit doesn't work for Czech, Polish or East German.  Miniart offer both Czech and Polish production kits.

Syria and Egypt both used 3-colour camouflage of green and brown shades over sand.  They had a mix of new and used Russian, Czech and possibly Polish built tanks over time.  There were some colourful schemes in Africa.

• Like 1

Apologies.  I didn't want you to get all inspired, spend a lot of effort and then realise what a dog the kit is compared to more modern realeases by Miniart and Takom.  Or end up spending a fortune on improving it.😁  Strangely, the Tamiya T-55 and Tiran 5 are still generally more expensive than the best prices for the better more recent offerings.

It's the only show in town in 1/48.  I don't know that's it any more accurate.  Simpler build, fewer parts.  If they dug out their old research, probably same issues.  But less noticeable in the smaller scale.  A lot less after-market options.

• Like 1

@Das Abteilung Has summed up things pretty well IMHO but faced with a similar dilemma I have taken a different route. A while back all of my completed models were destroyed or heavily damaged when a bookcase collapsed, I couldn't face any model-making for a while but finally got my mojo back by using parts to build other versions or what-if paper projects.

I found that this gave a good compromise between being unwilling to throw away anything and not being able to face major work on a once-built model.

Putting lipstick on a pig is OK but if you're running out of steam I think taking a different path may help you.

As to scale that's up to you. I sold all my 1/76 stuff and moved to 1/48 some years back and haven't regretted the decision but you might be happier in a bigger scale. The 1/48 market is immature so plenty of scope to be creative but also limits on what you can do. Decals for conversions even where all of the tricky stuff stuff needed is available (often not the case) are an issue.

Parabellum Models in Birmingham is my go to place for all things 48th. Nigel freely admits to having the worst website on the planet but e-mails work and his service is absolutely top notch. 

Agreed.  I find it quite disheartening trying to improve older kits when you know in the back of your mind that there is better out there, and then being disappointed with the outcome for the effort expended.

I saw a Miniart T-54B on eBay yesterday for £24.  The non-interior version, which doesn't come with the optional spider and starfish wheels (the interior version does).  And it needs almost nothing extra: perhaps just a metal gun barrel, as many of us now use routinely anyway because of the difficulty of getting smooth round plastic ones after cleaning up.  You can routinely find the Miniart kits in the £30-35 range.  If you're thinking Egyptian or Syrian then the T-54 is just as appropriate as the T-55 for 1967 and 73.

I am not overly competitive or bothered when it comes down to the finite details of the models. I can see they have updated the model kit I have several times since 2002. Yeah, if I was a bit more clued up back when I bought it I probably wouldn't have bothered but I am still getting back into the hobby after a long siesta so I will build it and paint it up anyway. 

I have already started building the base and wheels so it's too late to sell on and I am not a fan of wastage.

I can always make it a wreck...you know for historical accuracy's sake and all! OR I could remove the turret and convert it into a Czech fire engine lol

Scale-wise, I (pretty much) completed a 1/48 German Panther tank and really enjoyed it but I thought I would try out the larger scale as I enjoy painting in lots of detail. The painting is the part of the hobby where I get the most satisfaction after all.

Again, I am new so not rock solid in my commitments to either scale, brand or really anything at the moment. It's all just one big happy experiment to me lads!

12 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

For inspiration, watch 'Valley of Tears' .....

Been itching for a Shot'Kal for days now.....

Not sure if it is available in UK yet? Anyhow, thank you so much as I saw a clip of that some time and forgot about it.

I am off to pursue a way to view it now as it looks very, very interesting!

You seem to be fired up now for this kit which is great. If you fancy dipping a toe further into 1/48, have a look here: North East Model Centre 1/48 Vehicles

They're my local model shop and have had a 20% off sale on Tamiya since they opened. Some of those prices are even better than  that :) Means you can experiment without breaking the bank.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:28 AM, Foxbat said:

You seem to be fired up now for this kit which is great. If you fancy dipping a toe further into 1/48, have a look here: North East Model Centre 1/48 Vehicles

They're my local model shop and have had a 20% off sale on Tamiya since they opened. Some of those prices are even better than  that :) Means you can experiment without breaking the bank.

Andy

I am indeed more fired up for it now yeah! 

I will be sure to check out the store too, cheers