Brazilian Navy KC-2 Turbo Traders

Roof Rat

Hello all

I was wondering if any of our South American members know the latest on the KC-2 Turbo Trader COD/AAR conversion being done by Marsh Aviation/Elbit Systems for the Brazilian Navy.

Any up to date news would be greatly appreciated.

RR (Chris)

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all

As this post has now reached 200 views without an answer, does anybody anywhere know the current situation with this project.

Any information will be gratefully received, thank you.

Cheers

RR (Chris). 

Hi scotthldr

I must admit I did think the same, is there still a requirement as there is now no longer carrier however, in 2017 the Brazilian Navy indicated that despite the decommissioning of the São Paulo, the Navy wanted to retain the capability of carrier-based fixed-wing operations, and was continuing the KC-2 COD/AAR programme.

In September 2020 the Brazilian government published it's defence strategic plan, in a nutshell:-

Brazil plans to build an aircraft carrier (preverbally two) with a foreign partner as part of an effort to enhance the military readiness of the Marinha do Brasil (Brazilian Navy).

DCNS Evolved Aircraft Carrier (DEAC) project

The plan is for the carrier(s) to be built in Brazil, based on an existing design, Defence Minister Celso Amorim said “Latin America’s largest country will require a new aircraft carrier(s) within 15 years”.

For the past few years, French shipbuilder DCNS has been showcasing its DEAC Aircraft Carrier project. According to DCNS, the DEAC is based on French Navy CVN Charles de Gaulle's combat proven design and aviation system. It is capable of providing power projection, sea control and air defence. The aircraft carrier is compatible with all CTOL aircrafts (including Airborne Early Warning aircraft) and features the latest technologies including cutting-edge Combat System, UAV integration, advanced conventional propulsion and state-of-the-art platform stabilisation system.

It has to be noted that DCNS already has a strong presence in Brazil as the company is currently building five submarines as well as a naval base in the country with local industry partners.

Added to this is the US Company General Atomics is actively marketing its Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) to several countries including Brazil.

During the LAAD 2013 defence exhibition, SAAB showcased a carrier-based version of its Gripen called the "Sea Gripen". The Brazilian Defence Ministry announced that Brazil had chosen the SAAB Gripen over the Boeing Super Hornet and the Dassault Rafale.

Now I know plans and reality are two different things, but I believe this might be worth keeping an eye on.

I hope this is of interest.

RR (Chris).

hi, the last news regarding that plane is from the magazine DEFENSA, the note says the first flight has been scheduled for 2020 and deliveries around 2021, but has been stopped due the pandemic situation aroun the world.

you can se the note here:

https://www.infodefensa.com/texto-diario/mostrar/3129146/kc-2-turbo-trader-armada-brasilena-realizara-primer-vuelo-marzo-2020

and if you can get this excelent book about the brazilian trackers

spacer.png

hopping this helps.

cheers

• Like 1

Hello Carlos

Thank you for your reply, I had heard the project had bee delayed/placed on hold due to the pandemic, it's good to have information confirmed from an other source. 

Also thank you for the tip regarding the S-2 book, I'm in the process of trying to track it down in the UK.

Carlos your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris.