Here comes the Fleet Air Arm Chat

This has the making of on epic GB methinks. I do believe I shall have to begin designing a fetching log image for everyone. Which reminds me, mark your Calendars everyone,

July 22,2023 the party commences Be there, Aloha!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

This has the making of on epic GB methinks. I do believe I shall have to begin designing a fetching log image for everyone. Which reminds me, mark your Calendars everyone,

July 22,2023 the party commences Be there, Aloha!

I'm so glad this doesn't clash with the Salty Sea Dog.  I'm thinking possibly the Lynx in my avatar, XZ733 BRAVE Flight, Feb 1991

8395255150_03dfb33891_b.jpg

Either in 1/32 from the Revell kit or converting the 1/48 Lynx HMA 8.  Anyone know if you can still get the HMA 8 to HAS 3 resin conversion kit?  I remember seeing it at a show a few years back and wishing that I'd bought it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'm so glad this doesn't clash with the Salty Sea Dog.  I'm thinking possibly the Lynx in my avatar, XZ733 BRAVE Flight, Feb 1991

8395255150_03dfb33891_b.jpg

Either in 1/32 from the Revell kit or converting the 1/48 Lynx HMA 8.  Anyone know if you can still get the HMA 8 to HAS 3 resin conversion kit?  I remember seeing it at a show a few years back and wishing that I'd bought it.

Definitely a very "Brave" build.(Sorry I couldn't resist the very bad pun) Can't wait to see it's completion.

• LorenSharp changed the title to Here comes the Fleet Air Arm 22 July-12 November 2023

I originally did not sign up for this GB on the basis that I was already committed to other GBs, two of which fell by the wayside. It would make sense that one of my intended builds was the Sea Fury, which would fit quite well in this GB and I haven't built one since the Frog kit in about 1967. The other kit that is tempting me is the CMR Firebrand TF5. It looks nice, complete with one piece wing with fully detailed wheel wells cast into the wing. Having said that, might still be a pig to build. 

• Like 3

I haven't managed to turn up an actual photograph of the airframe yet, but this is my likely pick for the FAA build, an OOB scheme from the Airfix 1/48 Seafire XVII kit.

spacer.png

If it goes well I might do a Special Hobby XV too.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

I originally did not sign up for this GB on the basis that I was already committed to other GBs, two of which fell by the wayside. It would make sense that one of my intended builds was the Sea Fury, which would fit quite well in this GB and I haven't built one since the Frog kit in about 1967. The other kit that is tempting me is the CMR Firebrand TF5. It looks nice, complete with one piece wing with fully detailed wheel wells cast into the wing. Having said that, might still be a pig to build. 

Both are excellent choices.

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

I haven't managed to turn up an actual photograph of the airframe yet, but this is my likely pick for the FAA build, an OOB scheme from the Airfix 1/48 Seafire XVII kit.

spacer.png

If it goes well I might do a Special Hobby XV too.

Looks like it will be an absolute beauty.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Wasn't planning to volunteer to do any more GBs but you can pencil me in.

Done

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Pencil me in too please.

Mike

And Done. Welcome aboard Chaps

• Like 2

I think I'm going to do Dynavector's Fairey Gannet with the wings folded. I always liked the "Karate Kid" look to the wings in the folded position. After that, we'll see what else I can come up with. I have 3 other candidates in the stash, Airfix's Sea Fury, Trumpeter's Supermarine Seafang,

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

the "Karate Kid" look to the wings in the folded position

I'm never going to be able to unsee that now everytime I pass a gannet!😂

Would love to see the dynavector Gannet built up for sure.

• Haha 1

After the delightful friendliness and the show of getting your vote right first time and sticking with your choice during the annual Bunfight, I am very glad to see that this GB has got through, but I was mortified just now when I looked at the first post and found that my name was not on the list! Oh shucks, please forgive me and I will join in when the time comes.

I have a couple of kits in the stash I could do (probably one only!) - the Airfix Fairey Swordfish (newer tooling) or the 1/72 Esoteric Fairey IIID vacform. I do have intentions of doing a Double Gotha build in the 'Not My Comfort Zone' GB, and as one of those will be a vacform, I will see if I still have the stamina for another.

I am looking forward to this, half-and-a-bit of a year will go quickly!

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never fear... Smith is Here. The oversight has been corrected and you are indeed now, so added. Welcome aboard and I can't wait to see what you come up with. This should be an exciting GB.

Hi,

I'd like to be included in this GB as well, please. I've got a couple of FAA subjects in my stash (Airfix Swordfish and Arma Wildcat - the usual suspects!) and a Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair and a KP Seafire Mk.Ib on the way.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi,

I'd like to be included in this GB as well, please. I've got a couple of FAA subjects in my stash (Airfix Swordfish and Arma Wildcat - the usual suspects!) and a Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair and a KP Seafire Mk.Ib on the way.

All the best,

Mark

Permission to come aboard Granted. Welcome Aboard!

• Thanks 1

Me too.... but I'm a bit early as I've just about finished two 1/72 Seafires this month....  ah but next year there are going to be some Arma Hobby Sea Hurricanes sitting in the stash.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Louise said:

Me too.... but I'm a bit early as I've just about finished two 1/72 Seafires this month....  ah but next year there are going to be some Arma Hobby Sea Hurricanes sitting in the stash.

You can never be too early. A Sea Hurricane will be an excellent addition. Welcome aboard! And by the way, you are added to the list.😁

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I'll have to find a suitable kit.  All of my current boxes contain Russian whirlybirds.  Any suggestions?  

I suppose it depends on your scale, but lets see... in 1/48  for modern there's the Airfix Augusta Merlin convert to either a Mk2 or Mk4 or even better a Commando version, I don't know if the WIldcat is out as a model yet, but might be in 1/72. Others here in the forum might know better than I. But going back a little bit there's the Airfix Westland Lynx,, If you can find it a Westland Wasp,, Sea King SAR, or HAS, that old standby, the Wessex SAR  the Gazelle,, Westland Whirlwind,, or go back.... waaay back to the Dragonfly,, or if you can find one, Sikorsky Gadfly(R-4) with floats. In  1/72  there's probably even more. I hope this helps with a few ideas. I know it triggered more than a few for me