Build List - Matchbox '50th Anniversary' Group Build (08 Jan - 19 Jun 2022)

I'm going for PK-127, the Twotter. I think it's an original Matchbox kit as it comes in grey, black and white plastic but it didn't have a box. I'll be adding some AM parts and decals.

The AW Siskin, PK25 is out of the stash, together with my sole Aeroclub Jaguar engine and Modeldecal Sheet 31a. Looking forward to this as I recall it was a nice build 40 odd years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I am sticking with my plan to revisit PK-601 (40601) Supermarine Stranraer.

Welcome aboard Mark, may this be the first of many Stranraer's - best of luck 

12 hours ago, Ratch said:

Put me down for PK-89

Thanks Ratch, the Priest will make for a lovely build. We will look forward to it. 

12 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

This is getting silly! I have zero self control and just ordered: 

PK-117  Hunter T7

PK-126 Lightning T55 (pretty limited build options with that)

PK-127 Twotter (found some nice Ethiopian decals in my decal hoard)

and for some unfathomable reason

a 1/72 T80 Soviet MBT….why? But it was cheap

SD

Yes SD - however you are not alone and I'm sure i'll add to my Matchbox stash as we get going here... nice haul too! 

11 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

PK-901

That'll be me then....

IanJ

Of course, the Flower Class Corvette... I'm sure that will keep you busy over the next six or so months, we won't expect anything else. We wish you every success getting this one over the line. 

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

I shall be building 

PK-652 : North American FJ-4B Fury (1980/1981)

And the Revell boxing of PK-176 : CHAR B1 bis and Renault FT17 (1983)

Two rippers there Marklo. The French Tanks are nice kits and I've always wanted to see the 1/48 Fury built. Have fun and enjoy the GB. 

10 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

I shall be doing the revell reboxing of 1/32 Lysander

Me too!! we can exchange notes on that fidgety wing assembly. Good luck with yours and I'm sure this will spur me on to get mine finished.  

9 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

A kit I did not build as a kid, a plane used both night and day (mostly, I admit), and something I had planned to decorate while being in the wrong hands:

PK-603, Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress

V-P

Always nice to see you on here VP and no surprise you're turning up with a B-17. I'm sure this will turn out lovely. 

Cheers and welcome. 

9 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

My current plans

PK-035 : Curtiss SBC-4 Helldiver (1979/1980)

PK-104 : Curtiss SB2C-1 Helldiver (1974/1975)

PK-174 : M19 45 Ton tank transporter (1979) + the Revell boxing of PK-79 : M24 Chaffee (1974)

Nice collection JB and I hope you don't mind me putting you down for all four! 

There's no pressure, so don't stress, but seeing four would certainly be nice. 

Cheers and good luck. 

8 hours ago, gaelicfire said:

I am building the PK 129 Meteor and either PK-117 Lightning trainer or PK-126 Hawker Hunter Trainer. Hopefully I can finish this GB.

Thanks for that. I've just placed your name against the Meteor, however you're more than welcome to add either or both of the other two as well. 

Cheers 

7 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Thanks Pat and Dave.   Sticking with PK-112 : Fairey Swordfish Mk. I/III (1976)

Wanting to build the radar equipped MkIII,  black RAF version. 

The only Matchbox kit in my stash.

The Swordfish continues Matchbox's excellent tradition of doing a great job on these fabric bi-planes. The radar equipped all-black example is a lovely scheme and would look great in anyone's collection. I'm sure I'll add one to mine one of these days. Cheers and best of luck. 

7 hours ago, rossm said:

I'm going for PK-127, the Twotter. I think it's an original Matchbox kit as it comes in grey, black and white plastic but it didn't have a box. I'll be adding some AM parts and decals.

Well done Ross, can't have too many Twotters on here, so we will enjoy seeing yours take shape here. Thanks for advising your prospective build. 

5 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

In in with pk127, twin otter, well two of them actually a sort of twin twotter

Two more Twotters ... well that makes three so far and there's always potential for many more to come. Another Matchbox classic and deserves to be still produced and built. Cheers mate.  

5 hours ago, Jabba said:

My plan is PK406 Tomcat with caracal marking for one of the prototype/pre -production aircraft.

A Tomcat, this will be very interesting in that scheme. Nice to see these still being built considering the vast amount of F-14 kits on the market. Have fun and all the best.  

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Currently its going to be one or both. The Purple series Pk-023, and maybe the Orange series Pk-120 A-20 Havoc. Though I also have the Purple series Pk-001 Hawker Fury & Pk-035 Curtiss SBC-4 Hell diver. But was hoping to use those for other builds. 

Onya Dennis and always great to see you on board too. The Matchbox Tempest is a little gem and the Havoc may have some issues, however I'm sure you'll do it more than enough justice. Enjoy the GB. 

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

The AW Siskin, PK25 is out of the stash, together with my sole Aeroclub Jaguar engine and Modeldecal Sheet 31a. Looking forward to this as I recall it was a nice build 40 odd years ago. 

It would not be right not to have a Siskin on here. I've got two of these lovely kits, however have a perverse fear of rigging which is why they are still stashed. Cannot wait to see your build and completion. Cheers. 

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Dave

Please can you put me down for a PK506 Sea Venom.  That way I can stick to my FAA theme.   

I am looking forward to your Lysander too fella.

Thanks

Chris

The big scale Sea Venom is a classic Matchbox kit and it was a hard choice for me to go with the Lysander over my boxing of this very same kit. Thanks for joining along with another Matchbox biggie... it's nice to see some of these large kits getting some love too. 

Well done to all those who have chipped in and shown their hand. I've updated the IP list and am sure there's many more out there so let's see what you've all got! 

Cheers and big thanks.. Dave  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

As per my post in the chat thread, I will definitely be building the following:

PK-026 : Henschel Hs 126 (1974 / 1975)

PK-132 : Heinkel He 70F-2/G-1/He 170A (1988) [either the Matchbox original or the Revell re-box]

PK-113 : Messerschmitt Me 410 A-2/U4, B-1 (1976)

PK-82 : Soviet T-34/76 (1976)

Of the other Matchbox kits in my stash, 13 already have at least one person planning to build them!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, klr said:

Of the other Matchbox kits in my stash, 13 already have at least one person planning to build them!

Thanks for your nominations, however please don't let other nominated builds stop you from building the same kit. Now it would be certainly nice to try and complete as many different Matchbox kits as possible, however we always welcome multiple examples of the very same kit, so build away!

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

1 hour ago, JosephLalor said:

At least one of these for me:

Hawker Fury (prob Yugoslavian)

AW Siskin

Vickers Wellesley

Hawker Tempest VI (postwar desert scheme)

HS125-600 (prob Irish Air Corps, if my v old Max Decals sheet will still work)

Thanks Joseph, I'll put you down for the Hawker Fury, however will not hold you down to it. I also applaud your choice of Tempest scheme as that's the one I did during the last Matchbox GB a few years back. 

Cheers and regards. 

27 minutes ago, zebra said:

Probably the Privateer, PK-606, but from a Revell box. Maybe also a Stranraer, in Canadian civil markings, if I can find a Hudson to nick the engines from.

That all sounds a bit brave. :)

For my part, PK 107 The Dornier 28 Skyservant, almost certainly in Swedish Red Cross Biafra markings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drdjp11 said:

I'll be building Red Series PK-409 Dornier G-1

I have a few others, but that's for starters.

The Dornier is a very nice start and glad to see one being nominated on here. best of luck with that one. 

32 minutes ago, zebra said:

Probably the Privateer, PK-606, but from a Revell box. Maybe also a Stranraer, in Canadian civil markings, if I can find a Hudson to nick the engines from.

I think we are going to see a few of these Privateers, so great to see one nominated earlier in the piece. Looking forward to seeing you tackle this one Z.  

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That all sounds a bit brave. :)

For my part, PK 107 The Dornier 28 Skyservant, almost certainly in Swedish Red Cross Biafra markings.

Hello Steve and great to see the Skyservant represented too. I've got a nice original boxed version, but am unlikely to build it for a while yet. best of luck with yours buddy. 

Cheers to all.. Dave 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IanC said:

Hi Dave,

I'll be having a crack at the Jagdpanther (PK 80). Sadly, it's a Revell re-boxing rather than the original. 

Ian

Hello Ian and welcome aboard. Great to see your Jadgpanther nomination and don’t be too disheartened about the box… it’s the plastic you build and that’s essentially all Matchbox! 
Chers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

Wasn't going to commit just yet, 'cause there is an issue with my kit, and I need a work-around.

I've just read Pat's comment that the Matchbox GB will be six months long (here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235101790-group-builds-putting-your-name-down-voting-and-then-participating-or-rather-not/&do=findComment&comment=4244739)

Well, I count four and a half months, but my fingers are shorter ... anyway, the build lasts longer than I first thought.  So, OK, I'll commit.

I'll join @bigbadbadge in building a Revell boxing of the Venom.

The issue with the kit?  I have the plastic and the box, but no printed instructions nor decals.
The instructions I've found online, but the decals may need replacing.
The scheme will, probably, be Australian .... the RAN wing tanks are more interesting colours than the Matchbox/Revell FAA option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

I'll join @bigbadbadge in building a Revell boxing of the Venom.

The issue with the kit?  I have the plastic and the box, but no printed instructions nor decals.
The instructions I've found online, but the decals may need replacing.
The scheme will, probably, be Australian .... the RAN wing tanks are more interesting colours than the Matchbox/Revell FAA option

Hi Robert

There were some decals for sale on Ebay the other day, which may be of interest,  I think they were in Australia so might not appeal due to postage but may be worth a look.   There was also a set for a Ramjets display aircraft too.

I may be able to help also as was going for an FAA machine so could have the Aussie decals going spare .  I need to have a look to see if they are usable too.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @bigbadbadge, but I'll pass on your offer, there are too many little details (ejection seat warnings, keep off notices, &c) that I'd still have to source.

I still have some excavating to do before I give up and buy the decals elsewhere.  I, too, have been looking at some ebay decals, and found two sets are listed there:

One for 724 squadron who had an aerobatic team (the Ramjets?),

and another set that is similar to the Matchbox/Revell options.

The latter is out of stock on ebay, but I can find the maker's website (Custom Hobby Decals), and, of course, I prefer this, harder to obtain, set.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks @bigbadbadge, but I'll pass on your offer, there are too many little details (ejection seat warnings, keep off notices, &c) that I'd still have to source.

I still have some excavating to do before I give up and buy the decals elsewhere.  I, too, have been looking at some ebay decals, and found two sets are listed there:

One for 724 squadron who had an aerobatic team (the Ramjets?),

and another set that is similar to the Matchbox/Revell options.

The latter is out of stock on ebay, but I can find the maker's website (Custom Hobby Decals), and, of course, I prefer this, harder to obtain, set.

No worries Robert, it will be interesting if the harder to source one is available from them directly. 

Good luck with your quest

Chris 

• Like 2