Build List - Matchbox '50th Anniversary' Group Build (08 Jan - 19 Jun 2022)

I want to quickly thank the two of you for this GB - the kit that truly got me into kits was the MB Hawker Fury. I've since done a few more but I'm excited to branch out past my typical interwar builds with the Gnat and I may still pick up the Hunter T7, Spit IX, or AH-1G in the next week. My Siskin thread should start tomorrow and the Gnat arrives next week. I'll be finishing mine in a WHIF USAF scheme along the lines of the ones used in Hotshot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tweener said:

I want to quickly thank the two of you for this GB - the kit that truly got me into kits was the MB Hawker Fury. I've since done a few more but I'm excited to branch out past my typical interwar builds with the Gnat and I may still pick up the Hunter T7, Spit IX, or AH-1G in the next week. My Siskin thread should start tomorrow and the Gnat arrives next week. I'll be finishing mine in a WHIF USAF scheme along the lines of the ones used in Hotshot.

Ā 

We truly appreciate the kind words and hopefully Pat and I can maintain the enthusiasm until this show comes to an end. We really enjoy reading the many Matchbox related back stories that allow us to step back in time and rekindle those cherished childhood memories. Wherever you were, whether it was holidays with Gran, visiting long gone newsagents (with Gran) or just spending time on the kitchen table with friends and family (and of course Gran!) - they are all very special.Ā 

Cheers.. DaveĀ Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

My first encounter with Matchbox kits was one Saturday afternoon sitting at the dining table in a friend's house. Although we went to two different grammar schools we had the same French homework to do, which we were working at. Would you believe we used copies of 'Asterix the Gaul' books for help with our French? That worked cos we were both in the top 5 in our French class in our respective schools.

That afternoon my friend's aunt [la tante de mon ami] arrivƩ avec . . . . arrived with some models, paints and glue. She brought; PK-002 : Spitfire Mk. IX, PK-005 : Dornier Alpha Jet, PK-012: F-5A Freedom Fighter [afair] and PK-17 : Messerschmitt Bf 109E

I got the 'Germans' because my friend did not like 'German' things

Thus my first Matchbox kit was the Alpha Jet. We were well experienced modellers then, I was in charge of the Modelling Group in my ATC Squadron. But I did not paint the Alpha as I liked the white & red colours of the plastic. The 109 was the second build later that day and it was painted up and decaled for the Romanian one, the big yellow '65'

Paints were Airfix glass bottles. One tube of glue between us. But no paintbrushes!Ā :lol:Ā  Ā But as I said we were experienced modellers then so we had plenty of paintbrushes and other tubes of glue, we even had tubes of filler and iirc we did not use any filler on these new Matchbox kits

Even in 1973 WW2 was still a strong memory and I believe my friend's family did not like anything 'German' because of the memory of loosing family and friends in the German 'Blitz' bombing of Belfast in 1941

About 2 weeks after this that aunt came a-visiting again and brought us more kits. My third Matchbox kit was then the 'Dooleybird' Mustang

Ā 

ttfn

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 6

Nice memories BK, that's a special Aunt who deserves to be remembered.

My Dad (Uncle Joe to everyone else) was our whole families instigator of model kits and I have many cousins who were inspired by his great work and still build kits to this very day.

Matchbox kits were my favourite back then and its no surprise that they still hold a special place now.Ā Ā 

Cheers.. DaveĀ 

• Like 3

Hi @Rabbit LeaderĀ or @JOCKNEY, am I too late to enter? I just won a Dooleybird in an eBay auction (yay, A$32!), and I have a plan to add it to my "fast & red" racers stable.

Ā 

Yes, I know it's not a Wirraway, but it will be another CAC product...

Edited by Derek_B
  • Like 3

Great to hear from you @Derek_B, all BM members can enter this Group Build at any stage whilst its alive and kicking (now till 05 June 2022). It would be great to have another Matchbox P-51 join the party. Just start a WIP thread and post your updates whenever you have something to show us.Ā 

Cheers and thanks.. DaveĀ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am new to BM and I want to join the GB with

Ā 

PK - 44 Mirage IIIB
PK - 108 Westland Lynx in Revell disguise.

Ā 

When I had ordered these kits, the weren't yet nominated. Meanwhile Derek D. has chosen the Mirage IIIB too and I hope he won't mind.

Edited by paul-muc
text interrupted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You build whatever kits you want to build.

It doesn't matter if someone else is building the same kit

I think there are four or five of us all building the MG TC car. My build will go onto my model display shelf. As your builds will go on yours.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, paul-muc said:

I am new to BM and I want to join the GB with

Ā 

PK - 44 Mirage IIIB
PK - 108 Westland Lynx in Revell disguise.

Ā 

When I had ordered these kits, the weren't yet nominated. Meanwhile Derek D. has chosen the Mirage IIIB too and I hope he won't mind.

Hi Paul

Great to see you have started your build threads.

I really hope you enjoy the GB.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

This GB is really motoring along, so best I update and correct these GB statistics! (*Note -Ā based on original Matchbox subjects unless noted)

Ā 

Total Matchbox KitsĀ - 177Ā (Aircraft /Ā AFVĀ / Cars & Motorbikes / Ships )Ā 

Total Matchbox kit subjects chosen in this GBĀ - 117

Percentage of Matchbox subjects covered in this GBĀ - 66.1%Ā 

Ā 

Total Matchbox Aircraft kitsĀ - 120

Total Aircraft kits chosen in this GBĀ - 89

Percentage of Aircraft kits covered in this GBĀ - 74%Ā 

Ā 

Total MatchboxĀ AFVĀ kitsĀ - 27

TotalĀ AFVĀ kits chosen in this GBĀ - 14

Percentage ofĀ AFVĀ kits covered in this GBĀ - 52%Ā 

Ā 

Total Matchbox Cars & Motorbike kitsĀ - 18

Total Cars & Motorbike kitsĀ chosen in this GBĀ - 12

Percentage of Cars & MotorbikeĀ kits covered in this GBĀ - 67%Ā 

Ā 

Total Matchbox Ship kitsĀ - 12

Total Ship kits chosen in this GBĀ - 2

Percentage of Ship kits covered in this GBĀ - 17%Ā 

Ā 

Total overall Matchbox GB Builds - 149 (.i.e. - WIP threads including non-Matchbox designed kits)Ā Ā 

Total overall Matchbox GB Completions - 4 (0.026%)

Ā 

Cheers and regards.. DaveĀ 

Ā 

* Updated - 15 Jan 2022 // 09:07 UTC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Having been inspired by some of the AFV builds going on, I have just checked on the ones that have not been nominated yet and found the Revell re-issue numbers on Scalemates, and will have a look in my local model shop tomorrow and see what I can get. One only mind, but I will try.

Ā 

Ray

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tweener said:

Just to clarify, we are not allowed to scratch build, correct?

Ā 

Might need a little more information before we can give you an answer on this one @Tweener.

We do not discourage modifications to the basic Matchbox kit, so you can use AM items, plastic card, wood (?) etc. however what we would like to see is that the base Matchbox kit is essentially retained.Ā 

Feel free to send @JOCKNEYĀ and I a quick PM about your proposed project so that we can provide a clearer answer.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Cheers and regards.. DaveĀ Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Ā 

Might need a little more information before we can give you an answer on this one @Tweener.

We do not discourage modifications to the basic Matchbox kit, so you can use AM items, plastic card, wood (?) etc. however what we would like to see is that the base Matchbox kit is essentially retained.Ā 

Feel free to send @JOCKNEYĀ and I a quick PM about your proposed project so that we can provide a clearer answer.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Cheers and regards.. DaveĀ Ā 

All I will be doing is adding a little detail to the wheel wells and cockpit of the Gnat, and possibly new wheels from the spares.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tweener said:

All I will be doing is adding a little detail to the wheel wells and cockpit of the Gnat, and possibly new wheels from the spares.

Youā€™re good to go.. we all do enhancements where required so fill your boots. Looking forward to seeing the Gnat.Ā 
Cheers.. DaveĀ 

• Like 1

Well, i am well and truly bitten by the Matchbox bug!

Ā 

I have obtained the Spitfire IX, Hurricane IIC and the T-34 so once i have progressed the Mossie and started the Halifax i will add these three to the mix.

Ā 

IMG-20220115-164420.jpg

Ā 

I am enjoying this GB immensely and look forward to getting these three inĀ  progress.

Ā 

Cheers GregĀ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant Greg

Really glad you are enjoying the GB :thumbsup:

I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed at how this GB seems to have rekindled so many happy memories for people, and fired up their enthusiasm.

Long may that continueĀ 

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

Hi,

Ā 

It is indeed a great GB. I don't recall one anywhere with that much enthusiasm and actual building being done.

Ā 

Back in the day, I was not aware that Matchbox had done a Hurricane, an Me109 or the P-51.

I think this GB is the first time that I've seen that great box-art of the Dooleybird. Maybe that box-art was responsible for the kit always being sold before I got to see it.

Ā 

Cheers, Stefan.Ā 

• Like 1

Having got my first build out of the way, I am now going to do two more:

Ā 

Matchbox 1/72 Gloster Gladiator (PK-8)

Matchbox_Gloster_Gladiator_72_2022_BM_GB

Ā 

and

Ā 

Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury (PK-1)

Matchbox_Hawker_Fury_72_2022_BM_GB_001.J

Ā 

They will be OOB builds and I doubt that I will rig them. My dexterity, eyesight and general grumpiness means that they could well have flight tests into the Scottish Borders countryside if I tried.

Ā 

Dave

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all, apologies that I haven't started my Canberra build yet, I managed to extricate it from the stash but have found that it's missing its canopy.

I have appealed for a replacement one on the 'wanted' section.

Ā 

Also, is it possible to add twoĀ kits to the build?

I have a late Matchbox Phantom (40421) which I forgot about and would like to add to the GB.Ā  Also I have the Auto Union and Tyrrell P34/2 kits and would like to build one but undecided which yet.

Ā 

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, davecov said:

Having got my first build out of the way, I am now going to do two more:

Matchbox 1/72 Gloster Gladiator (PK-8)Ā andĀ Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury (PK-1)

They will be OOB builds and I doubt that I will rig them. My dexterity, eyesight and general grumpiness means that they could well have flight tests into the Scottish Borders countryside if I tried.

Ā 

Ā 

That's great news Dave, after your excellent Puma AFV build we dearly look forward to seeing your Fury and Gladiator here too.

No worries about the rigging aspect, it took me two frustrating hours and many attempts to attach two wires on my Wimpy build the other week... I am in total awe of modellers who seemingly do this with their eyes shut!

Ā 

Ā 

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Hi all, apologies that I haven't started my Canberra build yet, I managed to extricate it from the stash but have found that it's missing its canopy.

I have appealed for a replacement one on the 'wanted' section.

Ā 

Also, is it possible to add twoĀ kits to the build?

I have a late Matchbox Phantom (40421) which I forgot about and would like to add to the GB.Ā  Also I have the Auto Union and Tyrrell P34/2 kits and would like to build one but undecided which yet.

Ā 

Ā 

Such a shame about the missing Canberra canopy James, between the Frog / Airfix and Matchbox B(I)8's and PR.9 kits, surely someone must have a spare?

We will certainly accept your late Matchbox Canberra and any (or both) of the two car kits will fill large holes within this section of the Build List. I'll jot you down for the Phantom, however is your Canberra now 'off the list'?Ā 

Ā 

Cheers lads... DaveĀ 

Ā 

• Like 2

Ā I have to say Dave the build list is looking amazing,Ā  I'm off to the wet and windy section of BM (Thats boats not what you were thinking !Ā Ā :blush:Ā :wink:)

To try and drag, whoops encourage some of them to build anything matchbox and floatie they might have in this GB.

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1