Build List - Matchbox '50th Anniversary' Group Build (08 Jan - 19 Jun 2022)

Well done @Andy G, we will most definitely accept your offer to build Matchbox first auto model PK-301 for us here. I know a lot of us like pristine Matchbox boxes, however just like your favourite cereal …. No one eats the cereal box now do they! This is a great addition and we only have a few car models left to have representations for all of them. Thanks for looking through the build list and choosing something not already chosen. Should time permit, please feel free to add the PK-16 Harrier as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't find the GB chat section, so I'll ask here - are any of you fine gentlepersons currently bidding on a Matchbox Strikemaster kit on eBay.au? If so, let me know and I won't make a start. Ta. 

8 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I can't find the GB chat section, so I'll ask here - are any of you fine gentlepersons currently bidding on a Matchbox Strikemaster kit on eBay.au? If so, let me know and I won't make a start. Ta. 

Yes, I can’t find the Chat thread either, I’ll have to see if @JOCKNEY can move it to this general area.

No, I’m not bidding on the Matchbox Strikemaster, so best of luck if you do. 
Cheers.. Dave

32 minutes ago, Orso said:

Started kit allowed? I have a MiG-21MF with fuselage halves glued together.

We do have a 25% previously started rule so it might fit in with that. Would you mind posting a photo of what you currently have so that Pat and I can make a proper assessment. 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 hours ago, Orso said:

Started kit allowed? I have a MiG-21MF with fuselage halves glued together.

Here's my :2c:, which could apply to all "Classic" GB:s in general: Since this is not a competition, and it doesn't look very probable that the large number of finished builds would make setting up any kind of poll possible, the 25% rule should be viewed with even greater tolerance than usual. These are great opportunities to get people to build those partly forgotten Classic kits. To prevent as many of them as possible to be left waiting in the darkness and instead to see them built and finished, in the Gallery... priceless :thumbsup:

V-P

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Here's my :2c:, which could apply to all "Classic" GB:s in general: Since this in not a competition, and it doesn't look very probable that the large number of finished builds would make setting up any kind of poll possible, the 25% rule should be viewed with even greater tolerance than usual. These are great opportunities to get people to build those partly forgotten Classic kits. To prevent as many of them as possible to be left waiting in the darkness and instead to see them built and finished, in the Gallery... priceless :thumbsup:

V-P

I like your proposal VP and seeing as if it’s Pat and I making the judgement call, this MiG-21 has more chance of getting in, rather than being left out. I suppose we need to maintain the long established BM GB rules so have to go through the process accordingly. We also propose to set up at least four Galleries so that a vote / competition can possibly take place. This was discussed in the Chat thread which seems to have gone missing. 
Cheers .. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orso said:

mig21mf_01.JPG

Hi @Orso

I've never built this kit but it I had to guess at the number of parts glued together so far I would say its a good bit less than 25%, so if you include painting and decals, you are well under so please start a build thread for this one and good luck with it.

Apart from that, as Dave said this is a great chance to drag out ancient unfinished Matchbox builds from their hiding places and finish them.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Walter said:

Hi Dave,  I'd like to enter 1/72 Ta154 a Pioneer rebox. Matchbox no. 40200.

Thanks

Walter

Hi Walter

You and the Ta154 are very welcome, please start a build thread and good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:was it him? :whistle:

It was the Finnish version of him! All good @Orso, the MiG-21 gets three green lights from us, even VP gets to vote on this one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes, I can’t find the Chat thread either, I’ll have to see if @JOCKNEY can move it to this general area.

No, I’m not bidding on the Matchbox Strikemaster, so best of luck if you do. 
Cheers.. Dave

Thanks to our GB Leader @Enzo Matrixthe Chat thread is now in its rightful place in this GB.

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Each time I edit the build list, I keep thinking how many of these great kits are we ever likely to see being built here. A little annoying voice inside my head also says “ Now Rabbit Leader, you know you’ve got PK-9 Huey Cobra, PK-13 Dooleybird Mustang and PK-15 Folland Gnat.. why don’t you just build them all so that you can fill in those missing gaps?” 

With my large 1/32 Lysander yet to be WIP’ed, I’m trying hard to resist adding more kits and keeping my build schedule somewhat realistic, but the real kit that’s getting me thinking is the little F-86A Sabre…. watch this space! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Each time I edit the build list, I keep thinking how many of these great kits are we ever likely to see being built here. A little annoying voice inside my head also says “ Now Rabbit Leader, you know you’ve got PK-9 Huey Cobra, PK-13 Dooleybird Mustang and PK-15 Folland Gnat.. why don’t you just build them all so that you can fill in those missing gaps?” 

With my large 1/32 Lysander yet to be WIP’ed, I’m trying hard to resist adding more kits and keeping my build schedule somewhat realistic, but the real kit that’s getting me thinking is the little F-86A Sabre…. watch this space! 

Cheers.. Dave 

We all know that secretly you were planning an RAAF Privateer / Mustang Mistral combo to get the build numbers up later on in the GB, you just teasing us with these other ones.

Whoops I hope I haven’t spoilt the surprise :whistle:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Orso said:

mig21mf_01.JPG

@Orso, just some clarification for the Built List if I may, is that kit PK-19 or PK-41?

I didn’t realise Matchbox had issued two MiG-21 kits, were there any differences between the two? 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

It is the reboxing of PK-41

Looking at pictures af the paint schemes on the back of the boxes it seems to be some differences between them. (I haven't seen the plastic of PK-19).

This one has a higher spine and the pitot tube is placed different.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:39 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Michael

You're PK-501 is a very welcome addition to the GB.

There is no problem with replacement decals as lots of Matchbox decals had "issues" so need replaced anyway.

Please start a build thread and pop a wanted request on the Wanted section here on BM, I'd be surprised if someone can't help you with your decals.

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Just got home today and retrieved the Matchbox PK-501 Spitfire Mk22/24 from the stash. I was mistaken, the original modeller did start more than just the engine block, the photo below shows all the parts that have been started. They look like the seat, some of the cockpit parts, the tail planes and the wing spars. In my humble opinion still well under the 25% rule, should that rule apply to this group.

Thanks Michael.

51797670209_e2f8c05662_b.jpg20220103_194708 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Edited by Ghostbase
Forgot the photo :-(
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

Hi Pat,

Just got home today and retrieved the Matchbox PK-501 Spitfire Mk22/24 from the stash. I was mistaken, the original modeller did start more than just the engine block, the photo below shows all the parts that have been started. They look like the seat, some of the cockpit parts, the tail planes and the wing spars. In my humble opinion still well under the 25% rule, should that rule apply to this group.

Thanks Michael.

51797670209_e2f8c05662_b.jpg20220103_194708 by Ghostbase, on Flickr

Hi Michael

Completely agree, miles under 25% good to go 👍

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I am always a little conflicted with classic builds.   In my heart of hearts I know that the ultimate destiny of a kit is to be built.  However, I am aware that with classic kits there is an ever diminishing pool of raw materials.  The Wikipedia entry for Matchbox kits states: Original Matchbox model kits are highly collectable.  But again, there is an ever diminishing supply of these kits.  One day, there will be no more.

I know that some people collect kits as a means to its own end.  Maybe this will mean that eventually there will be a tiny number of pristine Matchbox kits in existence which will never get built. 

So, I have decided that if ever I come into the possession of a pristine, original release classic kit, I will not build it.  I will just enjoy it as a thing of beauty.   On the other hand, if the kit is no longer pristine, then it needs to be built, just to fulfil a destiny.  

Which means I have no qualms about adding this to my build queue...

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I know wot you're saying

I prefer to be a kit builder but I've set aside two kits for my 'collection'

1. An Airfix Henry VIII, issued in 2009, 500 years after his accession

2. A 25th anniversary Airfix Lunar Module kit, labelled as such

I have a few other kits under consideration

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have decided that if ever I come into the possession of a pristine, original release classic kit, I will not build it.  I will just enjoy it as a thing of beauty.   On the other hand, if the kit is no longer pristine, then it needs to be built, just to fulfil a destiny.  

That pretty much sums up my whole attitude to building and collecting. 

It's also worth remembering that these things were produced in their thousands. There's plenty for everyone.

• Like 1