French F-8P Crusader best color match?

WARDOG

Hi All,

I'm building an Academy F-8P and want to know if anybody has a good color match for the paint.

I have seen PRU Blue and Intermediate Blue (FS35164) but when I used the Model Master examples, the PRU Blue was too dark and the Intermediate Blue was too light.  Perhaps I will have to mix the two equally for the right color but any help will be appreciated!

Cheers,

WARDOG

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

If I knew the colour's AFNOR code (Axxx) I could get its CIELAB details from NORMDEF 0001 and use something like encycolorpedia to try for paint matches.

Try these two (those are from the Mirage 2000C) maybe one will fit.

AFNOR A 620 Gris/bleu-vert moyen fonce

AFNOR A 625 Gris/bleu moyen clair

• Thanks 1

Having experimented with a wide variety of colours for my F-8P, I settled on a combination of a base colour of Gunze H42 gloss blue grey, panel highlights in Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey, and then a light top coat of Humbrol 230.  Just my solution to the problem

resized_bf20de03-ee0c-4bc7-8b5a-123ff523

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Seamus said:

I built the Academy F-8P last year and used Hataka PRU Blue. Seemed as close a match as any straight from the bottle, to my eye at least

49828819003_68e88870ec_o.jpg1/72 Academy Vought F-8P Crusader by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

VERY nice job there, Seamus!  Looks pretty good to me!

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, Rob de Bie said:

I colour-checked an F-8P at an air show in 1992, and FS35164 came closest.

Which would be a match for the blue of the Mirage F.1C/C-200/B. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook

11 hours ago, Hook said:

Which would be a match for the blue of the Mirage F.1C/C-200/B.

I checked my colour notes, and you are correct. For the F-8P I noted Flexa SO.10.40 as the best match, and 35164 as the best match in my FS 595B fandeck. For a Mirage F1C at Cambrai in 1993, I also noted SO.10.40. So again 35164 would be the best FS match. The lower side was Flexa ON.00.60 - ON.00.75, with an aluminium-type look like FS17178.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2021 at 7:22 AM, SouthViper said:

ANA 608

Too late for ANA :)  The switchover to STD-595 was made in 1956, well before the Aéronavale ordered their (LGG/white) F-8s.

The Intermediate Blue is also slighty different between ANA and STD-595 so you can use the others to represent fading. 

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Too late for ANA :)  The switchover to STD-595 was made in 1956, well before the Aéronavale ordered their (LGG/white) F-8s.

The Intermediate Blue is also slighty different between ANA and STD-595 so you can use the others to represent fading. 

Hi,

Well, others call this paint as "Bleu du Mirage".

There is an FS equivalence but I don't have it in hand.

SouthViper 

• 3 weeks later...

Italeri is so often it seems a decal sheet with throwaway plastic included. 

Given their longstanding connection to Academy, I do wonder why they repop things like the ESCI F-8E or their 1/72 F/A-18 kit, when they could rebox the FAR better Academy plastic with their great decal sheets.