Sargent Fletcher's Rhino Parts sprue band (1/48 Hasegawa Phantom FG-1)

Troffa

Well it's about time- the last Hasegawa F-4 I started is in a box in Jakarta for reasons I can't go into here, suffice to say, I won't be finishing it anytime soon. So let's go into the space above the garage, squeeze past the Ark of the Covenant, Excalibur and those Roswell corpses and grab that dusty old box down. 

(edited)_20211128_085120.heic

It's the venerable Hasegawa 1/48 FG Mk1 Phantom, part of their Phabulous Phantom Family series of Quarter Scale kits. 

This 30 odd year old tool, since re-boxed by Revell, still stands up today.

This will be a fairly vanilla build, but I have some aftermarket that I might use as I progress through assembly. I'm sure I have a second Pavla Mk7 Seat somewhere. 🙂 

(edited)_20211128_085435.heic

An original 1989 Boxing this comes with the White metal wheel hubs and Vinyl tyres specific to the UK variants. I might dodge the Vinyl. We shall see. 

(edited)_20211128_085442.heic

After my recent Lancaster build ( B-) and F-16D Vista (C+) I am determined to do this kit justice, I will take my time, pay attention to detail and carefully plan my build. I want to produce a worthy replica of the first RAF Fighter aircraft I ever worked on. (But if things don't pan out, never mind, it's only a model! 🙂 

So let us commence with some dangly bits- the Sargent-Fletcher 370 US Gallon external fuel tank.

(edited)_20211128_151407.heic

They go together well, fit is good- just some micro-drill action to represent multitude of bolts that clamp the centre section flange and a circle scribed on the upper surface forward of the pylon to represent the Gravity Fuel Filler point. A bit of sanding stick on the seams and she's good to go. 

20211128_151551.heic

I'll be using these tanks as test beds to determine which paints best represent the Air Defence Grey scheme of this cold war warrior. 

Thanks for looking,

See you soon. 

Troffa

• Like 11

Not me- while I admit I felt a small internal tidal current pulling (pushing?) my body over to the stash where my Phantoms lurk, I feel quite able to resist the temptation at the moment.  There are other things that are more tempting.  So I'm safe.  No problem.  Umm, will you excuse me for a moment?  I'll be right back...

Love the topic title, by the way.

bob

• Like 1

Paint on the Tanks- Xtracrylic Light Aircraft Grey on the lower, Gunze Sangyo Medium Sea Grey on the Uppers- Looks ok, but I'm going to give the MSG another coat. 

(edited)_20211130_164712.heic

It should look OK with a bit of weathering. Time will tell. 🙂

(edited)_20211130_164521.heic

Speed Brake installed- a spot of Blu-Tak helps to keep the part flush- in theory at least...

20211130_162537.heic

And the Catapult strop hook mounts go in 

(edited)_20211130_161154.heic

I put the wings on, starting to come together- Cockpit next, but I have to have a look at the rear seat as I'm not sure the Radar Display and controller is correct for a UK bird. 

20211130_164401.heic

An hour or so's work on a dark winter's night- progress!  

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

It was Christmas Eve, babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me- "Have you finished that Phantom yet? " 

I'll get right on it 🙂 

Season's greetings to all of my fellow  BM'ers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1