BEA Hawker Siddeley Trident 1C, Airfix 1:144

neilg

I bought this Airfix Vintage Classics kit at Telford, and I was really keen to see how it would build.

The tooling is from 1966, with a reissue in 2021. 

The kit went together really well - not too many parts so it's a nice weekend project.

There was hardly any flash on the sprues, and the fit was really good.

The decals were superb - I think the BEA livery is really smart.

The instructions show the fuselage to be white (with only the blue cheatline), but photos that I've seen online show a light grey or silver underside.

I already have the BEA Comet, so i painted them with the same scheme.

I'm glad Airfix rereleased this kit - I like having a collection of aircraft with quirks.

IMG_5571

IMG_5572

IMG_5573

IMG_5574

IMG_5575

IMG_5576

IMG_5577

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Nice pair of classics Neil. You are a man of good taste, I'm just finishing the Airfix Comet in Red Square livery, and have started the Trident to go with it! Great minds etc. 👍

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Congratulations on turning out a fine looking model, this kit has many memories for me being the first ever aircraft model i built in the mid 1960s .Yours looks great well done 👏 

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Neil. I love the Trident and Comet together. 

It seems to be the season for BEA just now with both you and @Viking building Comets and Tridents. I have a Viscount 800 at the painting stage and although it will definitely be BEA I still need to decide between red square or Speedjack. Seeing your beauties tempts me to the former.

Dave G

• Like 1

Wonderful build of a classic aircraft.

I recently bought the Vintage Classics release too,mainly because of the great decal set and livery option.

Together with the Comet,it makes a really nice pair.

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Very nicely done, Neil...I really like this. Especially the Comet and Trident together. Such a great pair of classic airliners beautifully dressed. Thank you for the quick review of the newly released kit...maybe Airfix cleaned up a little in the newer releases. Just wish they would re tool and do a Boeing 727 again. Did you really make this a "weekend project?" I have no concept of doing a model in a weekend, regardless of size! I am a slow builder...too many other irons in the fire, so to speak! Nice job on this one...thanks for sharing. :yes:

Paul

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Love this pair! I see the A400M just in one of the photos, any chance we could get any more of it?

Thanks, that table is the only place the A400 fits!

The RFI is here:

55 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Very nicely done, Neil...I really like this. Especially the Comet and Trident together. Such a great pair of classic airliners beautifully dressed. Thank you for the quick review of the newly released kit...maybe Airfix cleaned up a little in the newer releases. Just wish they would re tool and do a Boeing 727 again. Did you really make this a "weekend project?" I have no concept of doing a model in a weekend, regardless of size! I am a slow builder...too many other irons in the fire, so to speak! Nice job on this one...thanks for sharing. :yes:

Paul

I'm glad you like it - I think they look good together.

I managed to complete this over one weekend - I think I was spurred on by the lengthy Bf109 build...

I haven't done any weathering on this Trident, and it really needed a small amount of filling and sanding, which in itself usually takes a whole series of weekends to finish!

What helped as well was using acrylic spray paints, which dry quickly.

• Like 1