zvezda 1/350 varyag

steve5

sorry dimitry , little bit past my pay grade , 😄

will have to look your build up , builder previously known as jon . I'm like you mate , it's smaller than I thought .

first order of business , a cradle to hold this little guy , so my big hands don't start snapping things off .

spacer.png

the wood decks are painted on the sprues .

spacer.png

spacer.png

and my bench buddy ralph found a piece I didn't know I dropped , sigh !!!

spacer.png

• Like 8

15 hours ago, steve5 said:

my bench buddy ralph found a piece I didn't know I dropped , sigh !!!

Well at least Ralph left it where you could see it and not camouflaged in something smelly  :poop:

Just catching up Steve like these older ships they have a lot of character will follow along now we have power again.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's coming along nicely.

I've got one of these sitting in the stash that I've been meaning to get round to doing for ages so it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts once you've completed it. I did the Borodino kit by the same manufacturer a few years ago and it was a fairly stress-free build as I recall. 

Regards,

Ross.

• Like 1

thanks guys , this is a really great fitting model , I didn't even need to glue the deck in , it was that well fitted .

got some more of the kit together ,

spacer.png

found some old railing , thought I might as well add it .

spacer.png

the only complaint , the poles were way too fragile to use , so I cut some .5mm brass rod .

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, steve5 said:

the poles were way too fragile to use , so I cut some .5mm brass rod

Normally the case with all mine to heavy handed so just replace with brass all the time now.  :wink:

Looking very good Steve

Stay Safe

beefy

3 hours ago, steve5 said:

this is a really great fitting model , I didn't even need to glue the deck in , it was that well fitted 

I found the same thing on their dreadnought and Marat kits as well,  I hope they bring more out,  

I have this one i my stash. Will have to bild it one day.

It was a good ship with one hell of a story.

BTW flag from Varyag was returned by South Korea (permanently loaned to russian museum)

• Like 1

Yes, in Russia it is a legendary ship. If you ask people far from the fleet to name famous ships all over the world, they will probably name Titanic, Cutty Sark and a few more. If even a child in Russia is asked to name famous Russian ships, then most likely it will be Aurora, Varyag, Lenin, Chelyuskin. There are well-known songs about Varyag and Aurora. Perhaps there were more significant ships, but this one got the fame. 🙂

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 1

Yes. 2 ship attacking much superior force and then selfdestruct. Nobody would hold against them if they surrendered or if the crews simply sunk their own ships without the fight. But they did sailed out and attacked.

BTW. Didin't Zvezda announce Koreec some time ago?

It is good to see that Aurora still gets some reverence (old footage):

• Like 1

Yes, it is right; they also changed her appearende quite a bit. In fact all captured Russian ships from the war were used by the Japanese navy, some needing extensive reconstruction.spacer.png

Edited by Micha_Pol
  • Like 4

thanks guys for the likes and the history lesson , love that stuff .

the masts and boats are in .

spacer.png

spacer.png

looking at that picture micha showed , I just realised I put the boats in the wrong way around , some mothers do have em . don't know if I can change them , without stuffing things up .

• Like 2