Flyhawk wood deck issue

Vlad

I have Flyhawk's own wood deck for their 1/700 HMS Invincible, and I assumed it was self-adhesive. However, it's proving incredibly difficult to remove from the plastic backing sheet, to the point I would likely damage or destroy the finer sections trying to peel them off. Where I have managed to peel it off, the adhesive seems to remain on the backing sheet and none on the wood! Is it meant to be like this or have I been sold a dud? Any tips for getting around this issue?

Thanks!

Edited by Vlad

37 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Gone, stuck to the backing or absorbed by the wood?

no idea, neither the backing sheet nor wood are sticky anymore after warming up and peeling. There is some very fine wood residue on the backing sheet, so I guess that's where the adhesive is.

I managed to wrestle the quarterdeck piece off the backing with some damage and reassembled it onto the model deck. When the larger main deck piece was proving even more stubborn, I gave up and just used CA to glue the whole thing down, backing sheet and all. I really hope this is a one-off and not indicative of the general quality of Flyhawk wooden decks. Though I do have to wonder what could have caused this degradation of the adhesive, the deck was unopened in storage.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I should give my experience  -  I ordered one to go with my Flyhawk 1/700  HMS Hood, after looking at the  wood sheets  (and having used Pontos  in 1/350 scale before)  I decided it would be best to try to keep the sheet/s  as strong as possible  as they are so thin,   so  after cutting all the holes  for the various obstructions   I then used my Gorrilla  Wood Glue  -  slightly watered down  - this was then painted all over the bottom of the  sheet  and placed down.

Thinking was  - not only a wee bit more strength to the wood sheet  - but also a bit of wiggle time to place it correctly.

I  understand  Gorrilla Wood Glue is great for fixing down anything from Clear plastics  - wood  -  and even  PE,   so thats what I did and its still stuck now  several weeks later  - famous last words.

Erk.