Any good model paint for Deep Sky?

Vingtor

I've ben getting stuff together to do a 352nd FG Mustang whose noses, according to someone, were painted Deep Sky towards the end. I followed someone's advice and bought Vallejo Model Color Prussian Blue 70.965.  I haven't used it yet but it looks pretty close to Deep Sky.

Justin

I used a Tamiya colour for my Mosquito NF.XV - I think XF-8. I can't remember if I mixed a touch of anything else in to get the exact match to the chip though, sorry.

3 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I an referring to the MAP Deep Sky colour chip included in the RAF Museum's little blue book.

Nils

Hi Nils, 

you may also wish to say what kind(s) of paint you like , eg acrylic, enamel and/or can get?

Many years ago Compucolor made Deep Sky 

https://www.scalemates.com/colors/compucolor--692/cb-16-deep-sky-enamel-matt--14368

when searching that up,  seems Vallejo do a colour called Deep Sky

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/model-air-en/deep-sky-71090/

model-air-vallejo-deep-sky-71090.jpg

Though it is also a 'match' for FS35056.....

I personally would not trust Vallejo to match a colour with "both hands and a map"  as the saying goes,   but I can eyeball the RAF MAP chart vs FS35056 when there is some cloud free daylight if that helps....assuming  it matches FS35056

If I do I'll see if what is close in the RAL K-7 deck. 

2 hours ago, rossm said:

I used a Tamiya colour for my Mosquito NF.XV - I think XF-8. I can't remember if I mixed a touch of anything else in to get the exact match to the chip though, sorry.

My pot of Tamiya XF-8 is good visual match for Deep Mediterranean Blue,  

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/bstablegb_1.JPG

Deep Sky IIRC is a  slightly lighter/greener,  but can re-check in daylight.   I'll check it against RLM24 as well.

I'd say Tamiya XF-8 is in the 'ballpark'  if you don't want to go down a paint mix rabbit hole....

HTH

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve got a bottle of that Vallejo stuff and personally do not believe its a match for Deep Sky. I’m really not sure what I’ll ever use it for. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I used it for the nose of my 'Blue Nosed Blighters of Bodney' P-51. Based on a recommendation found here on BM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

you may also wish to say what kind(s) of paint you like , eg acrylic, enamel and/or can get?

I am more concerned about the colour than the paint. However, I must say that I like the new lacquer paints from tamiya and Hataka very much. Vallejo is amomg the paints I like least.

6 hours ago, David Hadland said:

I've found the Humbrol 157 Azure Blue is a good match for deep sky.

This I doubt.   If 157 is anything like Azure blue,  it woin't be, if it's like it is shown in this thread, it won't be either.  While searching about last night,  Humbrol 25 was mentioned, and for a non mix Humbrol that is in area.

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I am more concerned about the colour than the paint. However, I must say that I like the new lacquer paints from tamiya and Hataka very much. Vallejo is amomg the paints I like least.

OK,  if you don't want to get too wrapped up,  I'd suggest Tamiya X-4 would be close enough, having just looked at my brush out in bright sunlight compared to the RAF Museum MAP chips.

It's a fairly pure blue,  if you have access to a RAL K-7 classic deck,

RAL 5000 Violetblau is a little darker and more purple, RAL 5010 Enzinblau is a little lighter and brighter, would be better of the two on a model  

For the FS 35056 is far too purple, 35052 is a lot closer, but darker/duller.

HTH

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I personally would not trust Vallejo to match a colour with "both hands and a map"  as the saying goes,   but I can eyeball the RAF MAP chart vs FS35056 when there is some cloud free daylight if that helps....assuming  it matches FS35056

If I do I'll see if what is close in the RAL K-7 deck. 

My pot of Tamiya XF-8 is good visual match for Deep Mediterranean Blue,  

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/bstablegb_1.JPG

Deep Sky IIRC is a  slightly lighter/greener,  but can re-check in daylight.   I'll check it against RLM24 as well.

I'd say Tamiya XF-8 is in the 'ballpark'  if you don't want to go down a paint mix rabbit hole....

HTH

I agree on most.
the classic RAL colours are pretty off.
MAP colours are flat, RAL fan colours satin (or gloss). Not always a very good match.
Mixing with flat RAL paints is a good check and sometimes the first idea needs correction.

Edited by Steben
  • Like 1

Remember that there are (at least) 2 species of Humbrol 157. Anything in the newest style of tin, and some very late production in the older style, is an excellent match for Azure Blue. 

The older formula is a medium dark blue grey. 

Neither are close to Deep Sky. In Humbrol terms 25 Matt Blue is probably closest but it has also wandered around the spectrum a bit. At least one of my examples has a distinct purple to it, Cadbury chocolate foil colour to those familiar with the reference 😀

Others are purer  blues. 

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

RAL 5000 Violetblau is a little darker and more purple, RAL 5010 Enzinblau is a little lighter and brighter, would be better of the two on a model  

I'ld say 5000 is closer. 5010 is too saturated.
Mixing a little of 5010 to 5000 will get you pretty close in the right direction.
But now to find that in model paints ... nah
Revell does have 5000, but not 5010 (although it is a very classic industrial colour). They do have 5005 which is almost identical.

Edited by Steben