J 28B Vampire 1/48 Airfix

We finally have a decent injection molded Vampire in 1/48 scale. I'm going to build the new Airfix kit as a Swedish Air Force J 28B from the F 10 Wing at Ängelholm. 

This is going to be a rather quick but relaxing build. It will (hopefully!) be much easier than the Tarangus SAAB B 17A that I struggled which was my latest build.  

The only aftermarket I plan to use is the very nice decals from Moose Republic and maybe some etched seatbelts from Eduard. 

I've cleaned my small desk in the living room and I'm going to sit there instead of in my usual "mancave" so I don't get distracted from all my other unfinished kits there. 🙂 

sn0VHyV.jpg?1 

The nice boxart. 

8IJ9uI3.jpg?1 

The nice and fresh parts. The panellines are really nice compared to what we usually have seen from Airfix. 

cACQ1R4.jpg?1 

RwHjBRZ.jpg?1 

The decals are up to the usual high standard from Moose Republic. 

viPIVh8.jpg?1 

TODXFSG.jpg?1 

RLTnh2P.jpg?1 

The Vampire was not used for very long at F 10 Wing even though it had a very long service in the Swedish Air Force. 

The Vampire replaced the SAAB J 21R in 1951 but was itself replaced by the SAAB J 29B Tunnan after less than two years. 

I'm going to build one of the third (yellow) division like one of these. 

RZAZFdn.jpg?1 

Wish me luck! 

Andreas/Rudolf_Filip

• Like 15

Right... 

Here we go! 

Let me start by saying that this is a winner of a kit! Airfix really have outdone themselves on this one. 

With that said I hope that Airfix is able to sharpen their quality control. 

One of the intakes looked like this. 

AgBceHa.jpg?1 

Unfortunatly it was one of the ones that I was going to use that was broken. I can fix it but I'd rather see that I didn't have to... 🙂 

Anyhow. I started to assembly some parts. The fit of parts is really good so far. 

yp6PCEn.jpg?1 

I used some very small amount of filler in the intake channels. I really hope that I didn't though. I don't think that the small gaps will be visible when the intakes are in place. 

I just made it difficult for myself trying to remove the surplus filler. 🙄

RbU5vni.jpg?1

I 've glued the details on the cockpit sides. The Vampire was a very basic aircraft and it really shows in the cockpit. 

uvegimY.jpg?1 

9FzJ9lx.jpg 

Time to start warming up the compressor and airbrush. 

I'm using MRP-paints. 

TWc0F0T.jpg?1 

Like all British aircraft of the time everything in the cockpit is black! I used MRP NATO Black. (Mostly because I found that bottle standing on my desk). 

9VONhvu.jpg?1 

I really like the details in the landing gear bays and the flaps. I painted them in MRP White Aluminium. 

82bP0zq.jpg?1 

I couldn't help myself so I testfitted the main parts. This will look fantastic. 

The fit is next to perfect! 

MRjmqWJ.jpg?1 

As I said in the beginning off this thread will this be a quick build. I decided to skip the primer and just add some preshading here and there before adding the main colours. 

I might regret that decision later... 😄

The only "flaw" that I've found so far is the lack of back cushion on the seat. There are two seats in the kit. One seat with molded in (crude) seatbelts and one without. 

I'm using the one without and I'm going to add some etched belts from an Eduard set. 

However, back to the distinctive ribbed cushion that most seats of this type had. I made my own with a piece of plasticard. Not a very well made one I admit. But most of the defects will be hidden by the belts later. 

LtbkKbF.jpg?1 

There are two types of instrument panels in the kit. I must admit that I was a little confused and started lookin for pictures of the J 28B cockpit to see which panel I was going to use. 

After a while I took another look at the panels and discovered that they actually are the same! 🙃 

The difference is that one is with detailed instruments and the other one have blank instrument faces so that you can use the decals on them instead... 

ATwVH1F.jpg?1 

Another testfit showed that the fit of parts is just about perfect. The fit of the tail booms are outstanding! Almost idiot proof. 

eFCzOrm.jpg?1 

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Rudolf_Filip said:

With that said I hope that Airfix is able to sharpen their quality control. 

One of the intakes looked like this. 

AgBceHa.jpg?1 

Unfortunatly it was one of the ones that I was going to use that was broken. I can fix it but I'd rather see that I didn't have to... 🙂 

Airfix spares would have it sorted quickly, no need to repair

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Airfix spares would have it sorted quickly, no need to repair

The problem is not Airfix is this case. Since I live in Sweden it will probably take some time for the part to arrive. 

Also, the swedish postal service is horribly bad so that they will most likely misplace it if they get the chance... 🙂

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip 

• Like 1