Revell Hawker Hunter F6 1/32

DonH

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I think the gun muzzle deflectors were retrofitted over time to aircraft which had been delivered without them so it’s quite possible that some had them and some not at the time of the film.

Thanks, that is very useful information. I may fit them to a) match the film and b) it looks a bit different.

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Going back to the seat (sorry) if you look at the current Hunter build by @hendie you will see a photo of the Mk3 seat which shows a strap which fits over the pull handle to make it safe on the ground, and gives the appearance of a spectacle type handle.

Yes, I am enjoying @hendie build. Looking at the film, I have convinced myself that I see a spectacle type handle on aircraft taxiing back from the sortie. That will do me. I have masked the cockpit and there is a chance that the masking tape will remove the handle when I unmask. If that happens, I will revisit.

I have found one blade aerial that is missing from the instructions. Part no 81, if I remember correctly. This should fit in front of the forward blade aerial. You can see it in the video if you stare for long enough.

Next up, I am defining the locations of the whip aerials. What fun we have!

• Like 2

Started throwing paint at plastic.

BMqBjtj.jpg

I really like how the profile of the Hunter jumps out when the paint goes on. I am using Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black as a primer, it is bullet-proof for me. No matter what I do, I seem to get an OK result every time. Hopefully, it will provide a nice base for the final gloss coat. I had to stop because I ran out of paint.

ic0Ec5S.jpg

Off to the LHS for more paint tomorrow, they have a 1/32 FGA.9 on the shelf that keeps calling to me. I shall resist. Maybe.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, DonH said:

I really like how the profile of the Hunter jumps out when the paint goes on. I am using Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black as a primer, it is bullet-proof for me. No matter what I do, I seem to get an OK result every time. Hopefully, it will provide a nice base for the final gloss coat. I had to stop because I ran out of paint.

Off to the LHS for more paint tomorrow, they have a 1/32 FGA.9 on the shelf that keeps calling to me. I shall resist. Maybe.

Better grab the kit otherwise it might be gone next time you visit!:devil:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Very nice, that finish is superb on the base....hurry up. more paint please!

Thanks Anthony, Tamiya X-18 is amazing stuff. No matter how I treat it, it always looks good. Nothing to do with me.

Your wish is my command. I am back from the hobby shop and now we have a Black Arrow!

x8OPj18.jpg

I have some blemishes and scratches to address, which is why this is a primer coat. Once that is done, I will be adding the gloss coat using Tamiya LP-1. That will be a job for next weekend, I hope.

11 hours ago, CJP said:

Better grab the kit otherwise it might be gone next time you visit!:devil:

I checked and it's still there. Maybe next time...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Very nice!  

Might try that some time, thanks for the heads up on it

No problem, but you will need a 1/32 Hunter to go with the X-18. Or maybe a FGR.1 Black Mike. There must be room in your hanger for another 1/32 Spey Phantom...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

More paint loveliness. This time courtesy of Tamiya LP-1 Gloss Black. We go from this.....

x8OPj18.jpg

To this...

ACittnW.jpg

LP-1, amazing stuff just like X-18, I can't seem to get it wrong no matter how hard I try. Pleased with this result. 

Now I have to mask for the landing gear pitot tube and jet pipe ring, then decals. 

• Like 9

This weekend, in my allotted modelling time, I have been adding different paint colours to add some detail and because the undercarriage was not gloss black.

So, we start with dull dark bits...

BNi7dsH.jpg

B2Ds6Tk.jpg

Then, a bright shiny bit...(at least it looks shiny in real life)...

Qb6jzuh.jpg

Finally, some dull shiny bits...

oAUYcDL.jpg

6gHrnrB.jpg

Some touching up needed at the wheel wells, but nothing to get me upset about.

Next project is attaching the landing gear doors. That is a job I am not looking forward to...

Until next time, mes amis...

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Just beautiful Don...love the contrasts in black....and that finish is to die for!

46 minutes ago, CJP said:

That's a lovely black finish you have on your Hunter - going to look very smart.

CJP

Thanks guys. As I mention in earlier posts, the finish is all thanks to Tamiya san. I am delighted.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:11 PM, Biggles87 said:

Great finish, stands up well to Macro photography

Thank you sir. Photos courtesy of my iPhone. Just point and shoot and hope. Very similar to my airbrush technique.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Very nice.

Did you have any problems photographing such a shiny item?

John

Thanks John,

No problems at all, I just pointed the iPhone at the model and hit the button. My photography is even more hit and miss than my modelling!!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I knew this already, but yep, a Black Arrow is most definitely going to be the subject for one of my Hunters...

Not at all bad for a "shoot from the hip" airbrush/phone-slinger!

bob

Thanks bob, sometimes I get lucky.

looking forward to seeing you build a Hunter, they are lovely kits!