Revell Hawker Hunter F6 1/32

DonH

I've just started this one:

VqGvHBo.png

It's going to be a Black Arrow, based at Leuchars. All over black paint job, should be straightforward. It's coming at you OOB apart from this:

McTMgXz.jpg

This is the True Details (I think) resin seat and is much nicer than the kit seat. I just have a slight concern that it won't fit in the cockpit but time will tell. I still have the kit seat to fall back on.

Not much to report so far, I have stuck the cockpit together and added a dash of paint. I am loving this kit already. The panel lines are very muted (Airfix take note) and the fit is amazing so far. I even blurted out "Oh wow" as I was assembling the cockpit. Let's hope that continues! 

A wing is assembled:

kLMhodm.jpg

SRTGfCr.jpg

Nice fit all round, one needs to be careful with the extra dog tooth parts and the end cap. I have some remedial work to do in this area:

y9KdBcf.jpg

Nothing a bit of filler and some sanding won't cure.

More next time!

• Like 10

Don't forget to slightly taper the ailerons at the wingtip end. A few swipes with a sanding stick will suffice. Have a look at Hunter photos to see what I mean.

John

37 minutes ago, jaw said:

Don't forget to slightly taper the ailerons at the wingtip end. A few swipes with a sanding stick will suffice. Have a look at Hunter photos to see what I mean.

John

Thanks John, that may help me a bit because I chewed up the end of the other wing getting it off the sprue (don't know how). If I taper the ailerons, that might get rid of the unsightly gouge!

Good start. I’ve wondered about this kit, but if I got it it could be a slippery slope to wanting more 1/32 RAF jets, when I’m already struggling for shelf space, so I’ll just enjoy yours for now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Good start. I’ve wondered about this kit, but if I got it it could be a slippery slope to wanting more 1/32 RAF jets, when I’m already struggling for shelf space, so I’ll just enjoy yours for now!

It is a very nice kit. I have had no major fit issues so far and a dry fit of the front fuselage is very encouraging. The really hard bit will be lining up the air intakes, from and rear fuselage and the wings. There are a lot of parts coming together in one place that all need to line up properly. But that is for another day or week (I assemble slowly).

• Like 1

Nice start and it will build into a fine model of the Hunter - I found fixing the intake ducting to the forward fuselage tricky - when fitting the wings to the fuselage you need to allow space in the forward fuselage slot for the inner face of the wing intake to fit in to -  I didn’t & needed to do some bodging to sort it out so do some dry fitting first.

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice start and it will build into a fine model of the Hunter - I found fixing the intake ducting to the forward fuselage tricky - when fitting the wings to the fuselage you need to allow space in the forward fuselage slot for the inner face of the wing intake to fit in to -  I didn’t & needed to do some bodging to sort it out so do some dry fitting first.

CJP

Good advice CJP! I am assembling the intake ducting slowly, taking one piece at a time. Not for any particular reason - I think I am just delaying the point where I have to fix them in place and discover how well they fit (or not).

Anyway, today we concentrate on the bit in the front where the driver sits. First up, the IP. Sometimes a kit "wows" you with the great fit and this kit has done that to me already - long may it last. But this kit is also "wowing" me with some of the details. When you consider how old this thing is, there is some lovely raised detail on the IP that I don't believe has been bettered by the aftermarket. I should know, I splashed out on most of it that was available and am not using any of it now, apart from the seat. I have an FGA.9 in the stash so who knows? Maybe, but Revell have produced a real gem here.

The only thing I have done to the IP is paint it, dry brush, scrape some of the details in with a cocktail stick (all the instruments are done this way) and then put a blob of crystal clear on the dials. The rest is all Revell. 

vRgoqYL.jpg

Next, the cockpit. Exactly the same again. Nothing added other than paint and crystal clear.

oxewGEL.jpg

I have managed to get the resin seat to fit by surgically removing the previously added joy stick. I will re-insert the stick once the seat is in place and everything will be lovely. 

Until next time...

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Progress! 

From this....

BvImvLc.jpg

To this...

TCol0EK.jpg

I have glued in the main gear struts now to maximise the plastic/plastic glue joint. Hopefully, painting will still be relatively straight forward.

ekN6EQ8.jpg

The joint in the fuselage is seamless, it just looks like a huge gap due to some paint and glue seepage during assembly. Some minor touching up to do and the antennas on the bottom, then I am going to throw some primer/paint at it.

Still loving this kit.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Looking good so far, but I would suggest that the seat pull handle should be the “D” type on a Black Arrows vintage Hunter.

John

I'd agree with John, looking good so far.

I'd agree with him about the seat pull handles, the face curtain one should be a D type handle, also I'm not sure at what timeline they went over to yellow and black handles, they could be red at that point in time.

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I would suggest that the seat pull handle should be the “D” type on a Black Arrows vintage Hunter.

39 minutes ago, Wez said:

I'd agree with him about the seat pull handles, the face curtain one should be a D type handle, also I'm not sure at what timeline they went over to yellow and black handles, they could be red at that point in time.

Ooooo, that's a good point. It's an easy fix. However, there is a video on YouTube showing the Black Arrows in action. About two minutes in, Peter Latham is shown getting into his office and the pull handles are black/yellow non-D type.

I am always a bit nervous about trusting video like this, so any further info is very much appreciated.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, DonH said:

Ooooo, that's a good point. It's an easy fix. However, there is a video on YouTube showing the Black Arrows in action. About two minutes in, Peter Latham is shown getting into his office and the pull handles are black/yellow non-D type.

I'd say that's pretty conclusive evidence.  Black and yellow it is.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 3:45 AM, Lord Riot said:

For me it was sort of an exception (my kit buying has quite a few of those) or "the end of the line": "Well, if I'm going to have a Snipe and a Gladiator and a Spitfire (and so on) in 32nd, a Hunter would sure look nice banking through some corner of the room..."  Only now I have four of them (not built) and a rather alarming stack of 32nd kits.  So yeah, consider it with caution- but also think about how luscious a 32nd Hunter would be....

Hmm, reading this thread makes me once again want to pull one out and start poking around at it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

For me it was sort of an exception (my kit buying has quite a few of those) or "the end of the line": "Well, if I'm going to have a Snipe and a Gladiator and a Spitfire (and so on) in 32nd, a Hunter would sure look nice banking through some corner of the room..."  Only now I have four of them (not built) and a rather alarming stack of 32nd kits.  So yeah, consider it with caution- but also think about how luscious a 32nd Hunter would be....

Hmm, reading this thread makes me once again want to pull one out and start poking around at it...

Go for it, it is a lovely kit of a lovely aircraft. It needs some attention, but nothing beyond what a "normal" modeller can do. By "normal" I mean average, which is definitely what I am. Very average.

Coming along nicely. :goodjob:

But a small historical point if I may: the Black Arrows were based at Wattisham, not Leuchars  (source RAF Squadrons, Jefford).

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1

Not sure how I missed this one Don!

Great progress mate.  I shall follow with nervousness as I am quite partial the the Hunter and think a 43Sqn bird might look nice next to the 43 Phantom...

Lovely mate and nice cockpit and clean assembly work!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeC said:

Coming along nicely. :goodjob:

But a small historical point if I may: the Black Arrows were based at Wattisham, not Leuchars  (source RAF Squadrons, Jefford).

Yes, you are absolutely right, I stand corrected. 

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Not sure how I missed this one Don!

Great progress mate.  I shall follow with nervousness as I am quite partial the the Hunter and think a 43Sqn bird might look nice next to the 43 Phantom...

Lovely mate and nice cockpit and clean assembly work!

Cheers Anthony

Thanks Anthony, you would make a lovely job of this kit and it would definitely look good next to your Phantom. 

• Like 1

Never sit and watch a video over and over. Now I have more questions than I really want:

Did the black arrows have the gun muzzle deflectors fitted? It kinda looks that way in the video. 

There are four whip aerials that I can see. One on each wing (easy to locate the right position). One on either side of the spine. Does anyone have a good view of exactly where these were fitted?

Going back to the seat (sorry) if you look at the current Hunter build by @hendie you will see a photo of the Mk3 seat which shows a strap which fits over the pull handle to make it safe on the ground, and gives the appearance of a spectacle type handle.

John

PS: We had a Mk3 seat at my old ATC Squadron which had this arrangement and I spent a lot of time examining it.

PPS: I think the gun muzzle deflectors were retrofitted over time to aircraft which had been delivered without them so it’s quite possible that some had them and some not at the time of the film.