AFV forums

ColonelKrypton

I have of late started down the road building a few AFV kits again after many years of just aeroplanes.

Years ago I used to frequent an online AFV forum, Track Links I think it was but that site doesn't seem to be what I remember. I have spent some time working my way through that forum but it just is not that user friendly.

I did find the French War Paints forum which I find quite good. And there are a couple of other non-english forums which are pretty good thanks to the use of Goggle Chrome and it's translate capability.

Other than Britmodeller, what other AFV forums are there? 

I do like the Britmodeller user interface - easy to use and intuitive but I am beginning to think that I am asking too much to expect to find an AFV forum as nice as Britmodeller.

cheers, Graham

Missing-lynx is good but it is more technical and drier than this forum I found. Some good people (a couple on here too) and great modelling on there and if you need to find out a minute missing detail it's a good place to look.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Missing-lynx is good but it is more technical and drier than this forum I found. Some good people (a couple on here too) and great modelling on there and if you need to find out a minute missing detail it's a good place to look.

Yup…

If you put the wrong conical bolt on the hull floor of a vehicle, you’re pretty much screwed, over on Missing Lynx. 

You're basically verbally hung, drawn, and quartered, called demeaning names. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Longbow said:

Yup…

If you put the wrong conical bolt on the hull floor of a vehicle, you’re pretty much screwed, over on Missing Lynx. 

Does that mean I can claim to "do" a Afrka Korps Tiger and paint it Dunklegelb....:whistle: 

:poke:

• Haha 4

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

do like Missing Lynx and all of the others have some good qualities.

Trouble is, there are too many and they all have somewhat different user interfaces that take time to get used to.

cheers, Graham 

On 11/27/2021 at 6:40 PM, Longbow said:

Yup…

I fear this may give Britmodeller's worldwide readership a misleading impression of Missing Lynx. 

As everyone has agreed, there are some amazingly knowledgeable people on it.  Some of them can be more than a little obsessive and less than tolerant of people whose commitment does not match their own.  ISTR a discussion on the colour schemes of final production Jagdpanthers stopping on the brink of an exchange of tactical nuclear weapons.  The Airfix 1/35 Cromwell was all but dismissed because it had the wrong number of wheelnuts on the main wheels (but then, it was a stupid error by Airfix, especially when they got it right on their 1/32 polythene toy in the 1970s).  But, for all that you get the benefit of their knowledge, which, as with Britmodeller, readers are free to take or leave according to appetite.

And not all bits of Missing Lynx are the same.  The Braille Scale forum is remarkably civilised, even genteel.  I have found its members remarkably generous with their help, even donating valuable spare parts unasked.  There is some excellent how-to modelling (I recall a recent detailed thread patiently and politely converting the new Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly kit into a 1/72 scale model of a Sherman Firefly) and some of the outputs are less models than works of art.

All websites have their fair share of idiots and socially-inept members.  As with Britmodeller, you just have to use the right noise filters.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

I fear this may give Britmodeller's worldwide readership a misleading impression of Missing Lynx. 

As everyone has agreed, there are some amazingly knowledgeable people on it.  Some of them can be more than a little obsessive and less than tolerant of people whose commitment is less than their own.  ISTR a discussion on the colour schemes of final production Jagdpanthers stopping on the brink of an exchange of tactical nuclear weapons.  The 1/35 Cromwell was all but dismissed because it had the wrong number of wheelnuts on the main wheels (but then, it was a stupid error by Airfix, especially when they got it right on their 1/32 polythene toy in the 1970s).  But, for all that you get the benefit of their knowledge, which, as with Britmodeller, readers are free to take or leave according to appetite.

And not all bits of Missing Lynx are the same.  The Braille Scale forum is remarkably civilised, even genteel.  I have found its members remarkably generous with their help, even donating valuable spare parts unasked.  There is some excellent how-to modelling (I recall a recent detailed thread patiently and politely converting the new Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly kit into a 1/72 scale model of a Sherman Firefly) and some of the outputs are less models than works of art.

All websites have their fair share of idiots and socially-inept members.  As with Britmodeller, you just have to use the right noise filters.

Agreed on all of those points.

ISTR  ?  International Sector for Third Party Research  https://www.google.com/search?q=ISTR&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA837CA837&oq=ISTR

cheers, Graham

edit:   I looked a bit further   ISTR -  I Seem To Recall

Edited by ColonelKrypton
additional information was found

Missing Lynx is definitely great place to get historic and technical reference information about AFVs and their service history. There are many knowledgeable people there as well as plenty of precious information. I find community there helpful and didn't have any troubles myself, although clashes between members definitely happen more often than on other forums I would say.

If you are into WW2 AFV subjects, there are two forums that are not specialized for AFV modelling, but are exceptionally useful to get historic data on AFV subjects and their respective units. One is Axis History Forum and the other is WW2Talk.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2