Fairey Gannet AEW 1/48

Colin W

@Kingswear1 @224 Peter

Yes glad to see you figured out the name of the jig maker. They lazer etch their name in the bottom of the units so its hard to read upside down!

Shar 75 The info you need is in the first post.

Not much progress but a lot of work. 

The canopy presented a few issues as expected. Quite a bit of material needed to be taken off the inside of the windscreen and coaming to allow a good fit without having to repolish the clear parts. Having the rear section of the canopy open was driven by the 3 supplied in the kit all being very thick and having air bubbles. I figured the air bubbles would be less noticable with the canopy open. However the thickness of the resin left it perched unrealistically on top of the fuselage. I decided to plunge mould a new one and got it right on the 4th attempt. I actually used a spare 'square brush holder' part from the Ebma unit as a holder for the plastic, showing these sets are even more useful than I thought.

I decided to use the kit decals for the bee on the fin. Naturally as soon as it hit the water it scrunched up into a blob and was lost. After messing about for a while with photos of the bee I just decided to start from scratch so used MS paint to create a new bee artwork which I printed onto white decal film and popped in place.

Aerials locations made from wire and drilled into the respective places. Rigged with EZ line which has to be painted black. I was surprised how much the aerial rig changed over the life of the aircraft.

Kit undercarriage doors added using rod and card linkages to the legs.

IMG_20220114_100001337

Just to show it never goes fight first time.....

IMG_20220114_100059660

Colin

• Like 10

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I am classing this as finished. I've posted pictures in RFI but here are some more.

Here she is at RNAS Culdrose after completing time on the Ark Royal in 1978.

IMG_9012

IMG_9016

IMG_9028

IMG_9031

IMG_9036

IMG_9052

IMG_9058

IMG_9066

Thanks to all those who made the comments along the way.

I just noticed I have forgotten to add the nose wheel front door! 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, alhenderson said:

! Don't think I've ever seen an AEW next to a ASW machine like in that picture - practicality different aircraft!

Thanks Al. Compairing different types is one of my favourite parts of the Hobby. There are few opportunities to do this with the real aircraft. 

Regarding the Gannet, I thought they were very similar but now it seems that the propellers and the name were the only common things. 

• Like 1