Fairey Gannet AEW 1/48

Colin W

Several layers of Mr Surfacer later..

IMG_20211202_160003486

And a base coat of Halfords Extra Dark Sea Grey

IMG_20211205_124255672

It is actually standing on 3 cocktail sticks at this point so not a tail sitter

• Like 11

Looking good so far,...... got to admit this kit is new to me. There was a bloke from Iceland doing one,.... but I`ve heard nothing for a few years now.  Good luck on the home straight,.... looking forward to seeing it come along,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looking good so far,...... got to admit this kit is new to me. There was a bloke from Iceland doing one,.... but I`ve heard nothing for a few years now.  Good luck on the home straight,.... looking forward to seeing it come along,

Cheers

Tony 

Same kit mate 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

There was a bloke from Iceland doing one,.... but I`ve heard nothing for a few years now. 

Hi Tony, This is from the bloke in Iceland

2 hours ago, Harrier/ViperFan said:

Is this kit still available? 

I believe so. I only bought mine in 2020 and got the impression he makes a batch wnen orders are recieved.

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like your undercarriage work too.

Thanks. Strength is the key driver!

Colin

• Like 2

I thought I'd share this for the WIF fans. What the Gannet AEW would look like without the radar bulge!

IMG_20211206_191020685

Actually looks like a neat aeroplane.

• Like 7

The radar dome is such an odd shape and the distortions and inaccuracies of the airframe casting (especially around the exhausts) meant it is very hard to get any alignment. I decided to got a bit unusual by adding the main undercarriage to ensure the wings are level and then adding the dome. At least the dome will be level with the ground and the wings. Painting might be a bit trickier though!

IMG_20211209_090908976(1)

• Like 4

Interestingly, the fuselage looks a little like a Hellcat's with the cockpit moved forward. I had never seen that when looking at a Gannet before.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wlad said:

the fuselage looks a little like a Hellcat's

An interesting observation @Wlad.   It follows the lines of the Hellcat /Avenger / Buffalo with the flying barrel shape of the big radial engines. The AEW3 has a much more bulbous fuselage than the ASW version but its only really noteable without the radome.

Looking a bit more like an AEW Gannet.

The process has got a bit out of sync to normality with the final paint on the fin, filler on the radome and the undercarriage on 

IMG_20211213_204938292

IMG_20211213_204950361

Finishing the tail markings next and then some preshading for the top coats

• Like 7

I built the very old Frog (?) Gannet back in the 1960s and have been fascinated by the aircraft ever since. 

Technically it was clever, twin engined, by virtue of the double Mamba gas turbines, one each driving a prop. So it could loiter flying on a single engine. 

I'd not appreciated that the AEW version had an almost completely new fuselage...!! 

Anyway, I'd like to follow along as this progresses: I've never built a resin kit.....

Peter 

• Like 1

The Gannet AEW was a completely new aircraft. The fuselage was completely new with only the engine installation remaining the same, except the engines were different!

I thought the wings were the same but when folded you can see the cross section shows the wings were different.

• 3 weeks later...

First post for a while as bench time was sporadic across the festive season. This is how far I got. Main scheme completed, most decals on and a couple of coats of Future laid down to protect the finish. I have fitted the wheels and some monor parts. Undercarriage doors are done and the canopy is ready to fit.

IMG_20220107_210908278

Minor details to finish before the Group Build season kicks off on the 22nd!

Happy New Year to All.

• Like 15

Thanks for the comments all. Its coming along well.

@alhenderson I use Gunze Mr Color lacquer, the Sky is #26.

@224 PeterAfter many years using paint tins and rubber bands I decided to splash out at Telford and bought this stand from Ebma Hobby. I also bought a set of tube holders and drawers to replace all the old mugs used previously. They are very useful and I wish I had bought them years ago, 

Edited by Colin W
Ebma hobby
  • Like 1