RAF Germany Jaguar stores fit, late 70's to early 80's

Mr T

I intend building a RAF Germany based Jaguar for the forthcoming GB. Most of photos show tanks on the inner pylons and a practice bomb carrier on the centre line pylon. As this is not really in keeping with the theme of the GB, please do those of you with experience in this area know what a likely operational stores fit would be on Jaguar at that time? 

Thanks  Martin 

Not really experienced, but I recall a photo I wish to replicate in a Jaguar model one day. Out of my memory: 

• single fuel tank on the centre line pylon
  • two laser-guided bombs on the inner wing pylons
  • one ECM pod (I'd think Phimat, or possibly ALQ-101) and one Sidewinder on the outer wing pylons
  • Thanks 1

A couple of suggestions for you:

You could build a 2 (AC) Squadron aircraft fitted with the big centreline BAe Reconnaissance Pod.

For the era, 1,000 pound bombs fitted two the centreline or underwing pylons might be a logical alternative. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure how early the Phimat or ALQ pods were fitted, but one and a Sidewinder (apparently AIM9G early on as hand me downs) looks tempting with some bombs. The fuel tanks seem to be an almost permanent fixture. 

SEPECAT Jaguars were also equipped with the Hunting BL755 Cluster Bomb- the RAF Germany Squadrons would likely have dropped quite a few of these weapons from low level had Soviet armour breached the Inner German Border.  Happy days! 😉  

The Wikipedia page on the BL755 may be of interest to some:

BL755 Wiki

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 7:54 AM, Mr T said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure how early the Phimat or ALQ pods were fitted, but one and a Sidewinder (apparently AIM9G early on as hand me downs) looks tempting with some bombs. The fuel tanks seem to be an almost permanent fixture. 

It’s just a bit before my time -  but I don’t think the jag was carrying the  Phimat or ECM pods in the late 70’s or the first few years of the 80’s, nor fitted with the ALE 40 chaff flare dispensers under the engines.

I think a typical (assuming non nuclear/non recce) war fit would have been 2 tanks and 4 x retard 1000lbers (or BL755s); 2 on the CL and 1 one each outboard pylon.

In the second half of the 80’s a more typical war load for a coltishall jag was CL tank, 4 x retard 1000lbers (or BL755s) on tandem beams on the inner pylons,  Phimat/ECM pod on the outboard pylons and ALE 40s loaded with chaff and flares.

Edited by Fritag
typo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, I am a bit unsure about the dates the  ECM pods were first carried and as most contemporary photos show tanks and practice bombs it doesn't help. Four BL755s or 1000 pounders sounds like a good load to fit in with the GB theme. I knew the ALE 40s were a later fit. The RAF Germany Jaguars don't seem to have as much photographic coverage as the Coltishall Wing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was at II(AC) RIC 81 - 84  I recall seeing a tractor towing a trailer with ALQ.101 and Phimat (don't remember the year) but never saw them fitted on an aircraft so I guess they were new trial/test equipment. We attended TAM 84, I would have thought they would have been fitted for that exercise if in general use but I didn't see any jets with them.

Found this from 1987

https://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframePhotoViewer.php?Serial=80849

Edited by Blacktjet
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 11:49 PM, ClaudioN said:

Not really experienced, but I recall a photo I wish to replicate in a Jaguar model one day. Out of my memory: 

• single fuel tank on the centre line pylon
  • two laser-guided bombs on the inner wing pylons
  • one ECM pod (I'd think Phimat, or possibly ALQ-101) and one Sidewinder on the outer wing pylons

spacer.png

This any help? It appeared in either Flight or an RAF magazine in the late 80s, as I recall. Copyright acknowledgement of the original would be to The Crown ('Cheers' Your Majesty!')

• Thanks 3