Eidai 1/72 Cessna 172 as a tail-dragger

Mjwomack

As I need to redo the markings, this is going to time-out on @CliffB's High Wing GB as the sheets of waterslide decal for laser printer won't arrive until Wednesday.

So a marker for now

Does maintain, my far from honourable tradition of moving effortlessly across from an active GB into KUTA and gives me two entries in here. Though I appreciate that's still a long way behind some of the mass entries going on this year!

Edited by Mjwomack

• 2 weeks later...

Progress!

PXL-20211208-203558536.jpg 

The good news about the 1990s rub down transfer paper was that it came off very easily with only a quick clean-up with white spirit and no need to touch up the paintwork. The even better news is that modern laser printer waterslide paper is a dream by comparison and on in no time at all.

Left to dry now, then the other side to do and figure out how to complete the lining on the fuselage.

• Like 9

• Mjwomack changed the title to Eidai 1/72 Cessna 172 as a tail-dragger
7 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Thanks to a tip from @arfa1983 flexible masking tape has been ordered which I hope will make the lining a lot lot easier. Will try to paint up some of the details today

It was actually @Tim Moff who got me onto it. They only had 12mm stuff at LHS but I've been cutting it into strips. It works OK, but doesn't have quite the stickiness of regular Tamiya tape, so make sure it's burnished down well and double check again before committing paint to plastic! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been using Tamiya's 2mm flexible tape for a good few years and am impressed with it. It can be a bit tricky getting a smooth curve but it is a heck of a lot better than doing it freehand!.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alas the eagerly anticipated flexible tape is stuck in the Christ man post- or at least the pony express hasn't got through to this outpost of East Anglia. Either way it's a few days of delayed gratification on this one. Does mean, I've run out of displacement activity and will do some work on the J39 locomotive instead.

East Anglia? Haven't you got hordes of Vikings burning and pillaging over there? I am sure the train has been derailed and your flexible tape used to tie the hostages...

Can't you just send a horseman to Lowestoft through the back roads?

Make a plan, Man! Your Cessna awaits!

JR

• Haha 2

The Vikings?! Oh crikey, we haven't spoken to the next village ever since they didn't warn us about the Romans. You're right, a clanking old steam engine isn't going to get me out of here quickly enough. So, pottered on with the Cessna by working on the propeller:

PXL-20211219-171525030.jpg 

Bit of tidying up to be done, but it's a start

• Like 6

I love these striped propellers!

As if one yellow blade tip was not difficult enough... My favorites, along with arrester hooks!

So you have heard of steam engines? It's not as bad as I thought.

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 3

Good new @jean the Pony Express has repelled Vikings and Romans alike and flexible masking tape is my newest, 'wow this stuff is amazing'. First coat on, so second coat today (after a trip to Walberwick to see if the Battle of Sole Bay is progressing) and then we should get to see if it's worked or not later.

• Haha 1

It's increasingly apparent that completion of this build will be despite rather than because of me🤷

Moving to final assembly I've lost one of the wing struts; knew that alcohol induced urge to tidy the bench was flawed

Fabricated a replacement but it does match the original, so now making a second so they will at least match 😳

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

tbh I'm making quite a hash of this... but onwards regardless

PXL-20220110-172737989.jpg 

u/c now forward of the wing strut for tail-dragger version, must be something to do with moving the CoG. Completion firmly possible now- there are a few months left on this GB right? By my calculation there's 5 pieces left, 2 decals and paint touching up so even at 1 a week I should make it!!

• Like 6

Finally!

PXL-20220116-200815226.jpg 

Over 25 years since we left Tanzania, and a bit longer than the duration of the High Wings GB of 2021, this 'interpretation of a Cessna 172 is complete as a little tribute to the planes I worked with out there. Actually the 172s were being retired as we arrived but in the absence of 206 model (or a 210) it had to make do.

Cessna purists, and they do exist, will point out that the base kit has problems with the cabin shape, add in my loosing all my own photos and it becomes very much an impression- as ever perfectists look away now!

More photos in the gallery soon

• Like 8

On 1/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mjwomack said:

knew that alcohol induced urge to tidy the bench was flawed

Tidy the bench? 😯

TIDY THE BENCH?? 😲

Wash your mouth out! 😁 Actually, I do it too, occasionally. Tidy the bench, I mean.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, Mjwomack said:

so now making a second so they will at least match

Yeah, I've found that sometimes when one part goes missing I have to make a pair, for consistency. I had to do that too, on my build.

I'm not a Cessna purist so I don't know if your build is accurate or not, but it looks very good to me. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1