Hasegawa 1/72 Ki-46 III Type 100 "Dinah", 1st Chutai, 15th Sentai

Being new around here I though it best to slowly post up some of the models I completed last year. As you might have guessed I am quite impartial to Japanese WW2 aircraft, though I do build other things every so often. 😁

This kit was completed was part of a Pacific aircraft group build on an Aussie Facebook model group. This is Hasegawa's 1/72 Ki-46 III Type 100 Commandant kit, part if a series of Dinah's that they released. It went together like a dream & was one of 3 Dinah's that I build for the group build. Its been finished as an aircraft from the 1st Chutai of the 15th Sentai. After speaking with Nick Millman in regards to colours, I decided on finishing the aircraft in Yokan-Iro (Earth Brown) over grey green. It was built out of the box, the only bits added were the Eduard belts in the front & rear cockpits & a little bit of Mig rigging wire for the aerial. On all these Dinah kits I modify the nose landing light to be more realistic plus I drill out the camera in the rear cockpit to show lenses for a touch of visual interest. Paints used were SMS with the topside colour a custom mix. All markings other than the tail insignia were painted on. I wanted to go for the sun beaten & weather, though still serviceable, look 

Hope you guys like it 

IMG_3183

IMG_3184

IMG_3187

IMG_3188

IMG_3189

IMG_3190

IMG_3191

IMG_3193

IMG_3194

IMG_3195

IMG_3197

IMG_3198

IMG_3199

IMG_3215

IMG_3217

IMG_3218

• Like 58

A lot of work has gone into this. Very nice.  :goodjob:  🔟

Ki-46 & Ki-45 are two of my favourite IJA subjects ever since unable to resist Roy Cross' imagination exciting box art, saving up, buying and building my first Airfix "Dinah" in 1/72 way back in late 1966 or early 1967.

Seeing more IJA/IJN modelled from the Shōwa Empire era is always good. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, appreciate the kind words & taking the time to comment. 

18 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

A lot of work has gone into this. Very nice.  :goodjob:  🔟

Ki-46 & Ki-45 are two of my favourite IJA subjects ever since unable to resist Roy Cross' imagination exciting box art, saving up, buying and building my first Airfix "Dinah" in 1/72 way back in late 1966 or early 1967.

Seeing more IJA/IJN modelled from the Shōwa Empire era is always good. 👍

I agree, both the Ki-45 & Ki-46 are my fav's as well. I will have to post up the other Dinah's I built for the group build but here is a sneak peek for you 😉

IMG_3094

IMG_3062

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lubbly jubbly! 🍻

Particularly love the conventional nose Ki-46 I, II & III. Aesthetically, a beautiful looking aircraft.

Haven't any IJA/IJN in 1/72 these days, but do have Tamiya's Ki-46 Hyakushiki Shitei III Kai (61056) in 1/48. I suppose now being of an age where 30 years ago seems like' just the other day', where many would see something kitted in 1997 it as old mould,  I don't perceive it as such. Typical Tamiya. Crisp mouldings, perfect fit, (relatively low parts count, quality plastic (& colour thereof) to work with, clear transparencies, sufficient accuracy, inner and outer detail for me, and at a very amenable price. Was an enjoyable build. Also have Hasegawa's 'younger' "Toryu" in 1/48. As is typical of Hasegawa, equally tasty but with a higher parts count and detail. I haven't built it yet, although it's been pawed over more than once.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Lubbly jubbly! 🍻

Particularly love the conventional nose Ki-46 I, II & III. Aesthetically, a beautiful looking aircraft.

Haven't any IJA/IJN in 1/72 these days, but do have Tamiya's Ki-46 Hyakushiki Shitei III Kai (61056) in 1/48. I suppose now being of an age where 30 years ago seems like' just the other day', where many would see something kitted in 1997 it as old mould,  I don't perceive it as such. Typical Tamiya. Crisp mouldings, perfect fit, (relatively low parts count, quality plastic (& colour thereof) to work with, clear transparencies, sufficient accuracy, inner and outer detail for me, and at a very amenable price. Was an enjoyable build. Also have Hasegawa's 'younger' "Toryu" in 1/48. As is typical of Hasegawa, equally tasty but with a higher parts count and detail. I haven't built it yet, although it's been pawed over more than once.

Many thanks. Oh I agree, something tooled in 97 isn't that old at all. Though I build one of them when I was younger I am looking forward to grabbing another and building a second as the first does not exist anymore. Though I have built the Hasegawa Ki-45 in 1/72 ( won an award at a local model show which was great) & in the process of a second, I am yet to find a reasonably priced 1/48 version. Prices just seem to be going through the roof for the bigger size. 

Once again Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to comment, really great to hear and I am glad you guys like my work 

• Like 1

I'd like to see a pic of that Ki-45.

Concur re toolings Volksjager. Such a shame about Hasegawa's prices outside Japan though. For a while a few years ago, they were so high in this country modellers pretty much stopped buying the brand, so whoever held the local single line import distro at the time either dropped it or stopped importing them so they became unavailable locally at a (r)etail level -other than extant stock. Only this year, I've seen them reappear to a limited extent on BNA MW's website, but their prices are Eduard Profipack -without the inclusions.

Fortunately I bought up on Hasegawa opportunistically amortizing shipping as best I could and import from HLJ (Japan) when they've have Christmas reduced price plus bonus points promos over a the half decade before COVID pushed International shipping rates shipping to 'don't even think about it!' insane. All 1/48 of course except for the 1/35 armour and a single 1/32 indulgence of my favourite Japanese type, their 2007 tool IJA Ki -61-I which builds as a Hei OOTB which I couldn't resist as a treat. Although I picked up a couple of non-IJN/IJA subjects of interest too from their always in batch production regulars, e.g. P-39Q/N, Fw 190A-3, I focussed primarily upon buying  the Japanese types, including armour, which none other than Tamiya and Hasegawa do generally. 

I have nothing but praise for both brands, ...and your modelling skills which do them justice. 👍 🍻

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning work on that Dinah - and the other previewed builds also!

Awesome! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have an impression that Hasegawa pull out all the stops when it comes to doing kits of Japanese subject matter - and understandably so!

Having one or two of their WWII twin-engine types in my stash sounds like an attractive proposition.