1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar by DB Model Kits (DBMK) - 3D renders+3D printed test parts+schemes - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

4 hours ago, Robert said:

If it was for a kit manufacturer would a NDA not be in place, and therefore the museum has broken it ?

Regards

Robert

I doubt it. All we know is the aircraft was LIDARed. Everything else is pure speculation.

6 minutes ago, chrisov said:

Fingers 1/48 crossed but just as a matter of interest do we know if Airfix, or other manufacturers, usually do the 'LIDARing' themselves or contract out?

Airfix contracts out their LIDARing. I would imagine other companies would as well just because it would be difficult for a kit company to keep a LIDAR team and equipment busy for a whole year given how few subjects they scan each year. Much cheaper to hire somebody else to do it.

• Like 1

A LIDAR team visited the Helicopter Museum here, where I volunteered until C-19 took hold, and they spent two days scanning our Mil Mi-24 Hind.  No matter how much asking, begging and grovelling, nothing would get them to reveal who they were contracted to do this work for. :talktothehand:

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

A LIDAR team visited the Helicopter Museum here, where I volunteered until C-19 took hold, and they spent two days scanning our Mil Mi-24 Hind.  No matter how much asking, begging and grovelling, nothing would get them to reveal who they were contracted to do this work for. :talktothehand:

Mike

Quite right too, as that would likely be their last contract for anyone.

However, sometimes the Airfix researcher and/or designer go along and they have appeared enough in Airfix and other YouTube videos to be quite recognisable. If you saw Paramjit taking notes at a museum you would have a good clue as to what he was working on. Maybe that’s why they do a lot of research at non-UK museums: less chance of being spotted.

10 hours ago, keithjs said:

Hardly a ‘secret location’ either. A quick google of the serial number XD332 says it’s an ex Helston/Flambards exhibit and now resides at Timsbury Abbey near Romsey in Hampshire. Hopefully to be part of a forthcoming museum.

Still great news if it is right tho’ I’m happy with either scale..

It’s Timsbury Manor, I’ve lived 2 miles away for 20 years and didn’t know it was there!  Could be measuring up for Solent Sky extension if that ever happens, though seems more likely that Southampton City would flog off the Spit 24 and scrap the rest rather than show any real interest.  Last time I visited the roof was leaking on historic aircraft. 😭

10 hours ago, keithjs said:

Hardly a ‘secret location’ either. A quick google of the serial number XD332 says it’s an ex Helston/Flambards exhibit and now resides at Timsbury Abbey near Romsey in Hampshire. Hopefully to be part of a forthcoming museum.

Still great news if it is right tho’ I’m happy with either scale..

It’s Timsbury Manor, I’ve lived 2 miles away for 20 years and didn’t know it was there!  Could be measuring up for Solent Sky extension if that ever happens, though seems more likely that Southampton City would flog off the Spit 24 and scrap the rest rather than show any real interest.  Last time I visited the roof was leaking on historic aircraft. 😭

A wonderful example of people believing what they want to believe.

Everyone assumes it's Airfix: no thought that it could possibly be Dragon\Cyberhobby who have already tooled a Sea Venom and Sea Vixen both in 1/72 or anybody else for that matter....

And what evidence that the result will be tooled in 1/48?

And why lidar outside when it could be scanned in the FAA Museum, free (more or less) from moisture particles and\or dust?  Indeed can anybody confirm the equipment shown is actually lidar ?

Dream on, and be happy doing so.  At least the timing's not right for an April Fool.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Denford said:

no thought that it could possibly be Dragon\Cyberhobby who have already tooled a Sea Venom and Sea Vixen both in 1/72

Since 2017, Dragon has only released 14 new tool kits and there hasn't been a single aircraft. In the case of Cyber Hobby, the last new tool model was released in 2013. I wouldn't count too much on either fulfilling the numerous announcements or releasing something new.

Of course they could actually be measuring the steps anyway? Just looking at the angle of the machine. Maybe they’re going to be part of a new dolls house decorating set?🏠🤪

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Denford said:

Everyone assumes it's Airfix: no thought that it could possibly be Dragon\Cyberhobby who have already tooled a Sea Venom and Sea Vixen both in 1/72 or anybody else for that matter....

It's definitely not dragon/Cyberhobby if it's LiDAR scanned! Their kits have too many errors to be LiDAR based

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Denford said:

A wonderful example of people believing what they want to believe.

And what evidence that the result will be tooled in 1/48?

And why lidar outside when it could be scanned in the FAA Museum, free (more or less) from moisture particles and\or dust?  Indeed can anybody confirm the equipment shown is actually lidar ?

Dream on, and be happy doing so.  At least the timing's not right for an April Fool.

Knowing the FAA museum they’ve probably moved it into the cramped Cobham Hall to make more room for Harriers....😏

Mike

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

It's definitely not dragon/Cyberhobby if it's LiDAR scanned! Their kits have too many errors to be LiDAR based

You may have inadvertently 'hit the nail on the head'.

At the time they produced their Sea Vixen, Sea Venom and others, they had no means of LiDAR scanning (hence the errors).  If 'contractors' who could do this did exist Dragon \ Cyberhobby  or for that matter Trumpeter surely didn't know of them.

Now everything has changed.  By whatever means the said company became so aware, they can have a professional LiDAR undertaken without leaving their home country.  Some three years or so hence, all will be revealed.  Let's hope they have the nose wheel the right way round (see original photo) !

Incidentally the Scimitar is one of the very few aircraft that saw squadron service not to have been main-stream tooled!  That is excepting the original Frog issue from the 50's which 'represented' a preproduction machine.

I'll put my money on Trumpeter (1/48) with Dragon\Cyberhobby second at 1/72.  Meanwhile back to my uncompleted 'Skybirds'...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Denford said:

You may have inadvertently 'hit the nail on the head'.

At the time they produced their Sea Vixen, Sea Venom and others, they had no means of LiDAR scanning (hence the errors).  If 'contractors' who could do this did exist Dragon \ Cyberhobby  or for that matter Trumpeter surely didn't know of them.

Now everything has changed.  By whatever means the said company became so aware, they can have a professional LiDAR undertaken without leaving their home country.  Some three years or so hence, all will be revealed.  Let's hope they have the nose wheel the right way round (see original photo) !

Incidentally the Scimitar is one of the very few aircraft that saw squadron service not to have been main-stream tooled!  That is excepting the original Frog issue from the 50's which 'represented' a preproduction machine.

I'll put my money on Trumpeter (1/48) with Dragon\Cyberhobby second at 1/72.  Meanwhile back to my uncompleted 'Skybirds'...

It's not just stuff like the shape being wrong a little bit, it's stuff like extra entirely fictional pitot tubes or too many wheels, details badly misaligned, etc... It's a quality thing, from my (limited) experience with their kits, they have a lower standard than what you'd expect from a company willing to pay out to use LiDAR

1 hour ago, Denford said:

You’d lose! This is either for Airfix or one of the Ukrainian manufacturers like ClearProp (who are working on a 1/48 Firebrand and have shown a commitment to getting things right) or Dora Wings. I suppose Special Hobby is also a possibility.

• Thanks 1

And why lidar outside when it could be scanned in the FAA Museum, free (more or less) from moisture particles and\or dust?

I was the 'minder' for a team that conducted a Lidar survey of one of the exhibits at Middle Wallop. (Don't get excited it wasn't for a kit manufacturer.) I offered to give it a quick clean as it it had a good layer of dust on it following all the work we had carried out during the museum's revamp. The offer was declined as it was explained that the dust gave the Lidar a better return, especially on Perspex where the Lidar is liable to pass straight through rather than reflect back. Dust and moisture are friends to Lidar. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

You’d lose! This is either for Airfix or one of the Ukrainian manufacturers like ClearProp (who are working on a 1/48 Firebrand and have shown a commitment to getting things right) or Dora Wings. I suppose Special Hobby is also a possibility.

Definitely not Airfix, so you might lose!  Could ICM (also Ukrainian) be possible?

3 hours ago, Denford said:

Definitely not Airfix, so you might lose!  Could ICM (also Ukrainian) be possible?

Airfix is one company known to make use of LIDAR scans in developing its kits. If the scan is for a kit, then Airfix is the most likely company doing it. When have Trumpeter or Dragon ever made use of LIDAR for one of their kits.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 4:25 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

I have personally, never understood the fascination with an aircraft that it is, to me anyway, nothing more than a naval equivalent of the less than stellar Supermarine Swift.

That’s a bit unfair. The appropriate comparison is to the F-4 Phantom.  The Phantom flew a little over a year later than the Scimitar and the engines of the two aircraft had the same dry thrust but the Scimitar had no afterburner and was entirely subsonic. A little forethought and ingenuity could have seen the Scimitar be the aircraft the Phantom was to become.

• Like 4