1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar by DB Model Kits (DBMK) - 3D renders+3D printed test parts+schemes - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

Am I the only one who welcomes photo-etched parts in a kit where they provide a better source of fine detail than the molded plastic can?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Col. said:

Am I the only one who welcomes photo-etched parts in a kit where they provide a better source of fine detail than the molded plastic can?

Nah you're not wrong, they do seem divisive though. Of course it all depends on the part and execution, but I tend to prefer fiddling with PE than carving out great swathes of plastic to get shonky resin bits fitted. At small scales, particularly ship scale, I tend to think they're the only viable solution for a lot of finer detail. Particularly for suspended/ cantilevered details they seem much more suitable than fudgy raised blobs that are achievable in styrene (like cockpit sidewalls for example. But seeing at it is about 5 times easier to ping a PE part into the maws of the carpet monster, it's certainly nice when it's a case of PE 'upgrades' supplementing rougher styrene parts. 

Anyway sorry for the sidetrack, looking forward to seeing how the Hornet and Scimitar are getting on at Telford.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

No you're not. PE has transformed the industry, as has resin. I love both, and so long as PE doesn't replace items which are not fundamentally flat (brake lines, ignition wiring etc) then I can't see anything wrong with it. I recall yonks ago using PE to make a small map case and thinking that plastic equivalents had no place in kits anymore. I build a lot of resin kits now, and PE is ubiquitous. I wouldn't want it any other way and it gives a level of finesse that cannot be achieved with even resin.

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar by DB Model Kits (DBMK) - 3D renders+3D printed parts - release October 2023 ?

1 hour ago, Homebee said:

These are the parts of a demonstration model that will be shown at our stand during SMW 2022 (12-13 November, Telford). Please note - these are fairly basic resin parts, 3-D printed, just to show the model in general. We are still working with the software on panel lines, detailing and keep checking the dimensions and proportions before milling the casts.

• Like 10

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar by DB Model Kits (DBMK) - 3D renders+3D printed test parts - release October 2023 ?
6 hours ago, Bikitzer said:

These are the parts of a demonstration model that will be shown at our stand during SMW 2022 (12-13 November, Telford). Please note - these are fairly basic resin parts, 3-D printed, just to show the model in general. We are still working with the software on panel lines, detailing and keep checking the dimensions and proportions before milling the casts.

That looks like being one hell of a kit. Take your time and get it right and it will benefit you in the longer term. At least one to buy in 2023 for me

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

That looks like being one hell of a kit. Take your time and get it right and it will benefit you in the longer term. At least one to buy in 2023 for me

We are taking our time despite the fact we use the 3D scan images (that make the creation of a 3D model much easier) and technical information available to us.

The way things go, I might express a crazy thought that there will be more than one for you and other fellow scale modellers to buy in 2023 :) and later.

By the way, just to remind to the audience - the kit will be plastic with added PE and 3D printed parts in the set. The demo model you see above is in resin, printed on a 3D printer for presentation at Telford this weekend.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Bikitzer said:

By the way, just to remind to the audience - the kit will be plastic with added PE and 3D printed parts in the set.

Whew!!!

• 4 months later...

We are just working on the decal sheet for the Scimitar. Does anyone have good photographs of the stencils on the upper surfaces of the wings and the fuselage? Please could you message me if you have any really clear shots.

Many Thanks

Will

3 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

It would depend on how they’re used. Wing fences, some antennas, canopy latches, mirrors, yes. Instrument panels, cockpit consoles, and anything else requiring relief detail, no. 

Ben

On 3/30/2023 at 8:21 AM, Scimitar F1 said:

We are just working on the decal sheet for the Scimitar. Does anyone have good photographs of the stencils on the upper surfaces of the wings and the fuselage? 

Also worth trying to seek out the relevant AP/Manuals as they often show the markings and positions.  

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Also worth trying to seek out the relevant AP/Manuals as they often show the markings and positions.  

Thanks. We have had a good look at what is available and didn’t see anything. If anyone has this it would be much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid02o1adW4pJ5SAvuYAbt8YczAqo5K7NZfwViEjQv6nSqW2B1eKZfkAL8aGZq5TcuUtl&id=100084846155184

And onto the Scimitar. Dick Jenkinson is kindly putting the 3-D print together to check outline accuracy. The kit will be injection moulded, 1/48 and hopefully out by Telford! Comments and observations welcome!

346667857-2928442683954638-1217942979636

V.P.

• Like 6