1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar by DB Model Kits (DBMK) - 3D renders+3D printed test parts+schemes - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

I had my doubts but a 1/48 Scimitar will be a welcome addition to my growing naval collection. The gaps are getting filled and the add-on option is good too at least the parts will fit without major excavation work he typed hopefully.

I agree that the floating Scimitar part was rather unfortunate but it does hammer home the fact that about half were lost without enemy action - a quite horrifying statistic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

...............this kit may never see the light of day (I am looking at you TanModel).

To put the above to rights, Tan Models went in a different direction, that being work for the Turkish government......... Now, what would common sense have a manufacturer do? Produce a range of kits that 'everybody' will buy, to be followed up with the usual 'wrong scale', 'wrong mark' and all the other dross that gets thrown at most new kits......OR, work for the Government, with guaranteed payments, no hassle and a happy customer? Add to that, the company MD had a massive heart attack a year ago.

He IS getting better, and has told me the kits that were promised aren't forgotten, just on the back burner. Will we see them in the fullness of time? I don't know, we will have to wait and see.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

He IS getting better, and has told me the kits that were promised aren't forgotten, just on the back burner. Will we see them in the fullness of time? I don't know, we will have to wait and see.

I will admit that I am waiting for the announced Buccaneer in 1/72, but I am in no hurry. There are so many new models released every year that I can't even buy all the ones that interest me, not to mention build them.

• Like 5

I'm hoping to get this Scimitar kit in either of the key double-digit scales. Either would do.  

Slowly, there's hope that the gaps in the British and French Cold War Jet line-up get filled. Raising a subject in people's consciousness does seem to improve its chances of being kitted. 

Tony 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I will admit that I am waiting for the announced Buccaneer in 1/72, but I am in no hurry.

Simple question: Why?

The new tool Airfix kit is very nice, certainly good enough that I wouldn’t be waiting around for another kit of that subject, in that scale, that may or may not ever appear.

Now a Buccaneer in 1/48 is a different story entirely, especially because it does not appear that the Airfix kit will ever be reissued.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Buccaneer in 1/48 is a different story....................especially because it does not appear that the Airfix kit will ever be reissued.

CAN'T be reissued, mould was broken beyond economic repair.

36 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

CAN'T be reissued, mould was broken beyond economic repair.

That’s not what Airfix stated when they were considering including the kit as one of their short-lived Kit-starter offerings. All they said was there were quality issues with the parts coming out of the mold, which, to be fair, there always were with that kit. They never said the mold was broken.

Yup, that was the cause of the 'quality issues', broken mould. Not pie in the sky or hearsay, this was from someone who was in a senior position at Airfix and still helps with new product, last one being the all new Vulcan.

1 hour ago, sniperUK said:

The Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer tooling is gone. Dead, deceased, snuffed it, it's an ex mould, never to reappear again. 

Are you sure that it wasn't a parrot?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, sniperUK said:

The Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer tooling is gone. Dead, deceased, snuffed it, it's an ex mould, never to reappear again. 

Tanmodel made a nice 1/48 Buccaneer airbrake that "worked" (well, could be opened and closed). So, we were 5% there before the whole thing went pouf! 

Can Airfix please scale-up its new 1/72 S.2C kit? C'm'on, you know you want to. 

Tony 

14 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Since we're getting away from the main topic, was there any other paint scheme for the Scimitars? I couldn't find any, but maybe I missed something?

9-10.jpg

No, at least not on the production aircraft. The only variations were in codes and squadron markings, and some had a black nose cap!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

was there any other paint scheme for the Scimitars? I couldn't find any, but maybe I missed something?

Very similar to the Sea Vixen, in that there was only the one Extra Dark Sea Grey over white scheme for service aircraft, there were a good variety of colourful squadron markings though, and the code presentations varied a bit, the various underwing stores added to the variety.

When it came to trials aircraft there was more variety for Sea Vixens, but only the one for the Scimitar, XD229 was painted in a nice light blue with white tail and spine scheme when it served with the Royal Aircraft Establishment.

https://www.prints-online.com/peter-butt-transport-collection/royal-aircraft-establishment-supermarine-21130765.html

'Simons Sircus' was always an 899 NAS Sea Vixen team, named after their C.O. of the time Lt Cdr Simon Idiens.

There was a variety of Scimitar demonstration 'teams' fielded by the various Squadrons (736, 803 & 807 NAS in particular) during the late 1950 and early 1960s, 800 NAS examples had 'ROYAL NAVY' applied in place of the standard underwing serials.

Edited by 71chally

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Very similar to the Sea Vixen, in that there was only the one Extra Dark Sea Grey over white scheme for service aircraft, there were a good variety of colourful squadron markings though, and the code presentations varied a bit, the various underwing stores added to the variety.

When it came to trials aircraft there was more variety for Sea Vixens, but only the one for the Scimitar, XD229 was painted in a nice light blue with white tail and spine scheme when it served with the Royal Aircraft Establishment.

https://www.prints-online.com/peter-butt-transport-collection/royal-aircraft-establishment-supermarine-21130765.html

It was one of the decal options included in the Dynavector kit:

https://www.dynavector.co.jp/airmodel/english/e_f_1.html

Although Dynavector owner, Taro Tominari San, does acknowledge that:

"The sample images are the Royal Aircraft Establishment's high speed test aircraft. Its distinguish pale blue colour seems to be paler than this sample model. After we displayed this at model shows, an ex-pilot of the very aircraft told us the real colour was much paler".

Hard to believe that the Dynavector kits have been gone since 2010 now, and yet some of them remain the best kits of the subject matter.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Since we're getting away from the main topic, was there any other paint scheme for the Scimitars? 

Not unless you venture into the world of what-if:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Since we're getting away from the main topic, was there any other paint scheme for the Scimitars? I couldn't find any, but maybe I missed something?

9-10.jpg

You can have any camo scheme on the commissioned Scimitars as long as it is Extra Dark Sea Grey top-and-sides and White undersides :) .

There were various individual aircraft markings only and the XD229 frame belonging to the RAE and covered above by AntPhillips and Taro Tominari San.

There are far more interesting questions to all of you guys:

- How many different nose cone types the Scimitar F.1 had?

- How many two-cannon frames were manufactured and entered service?