1/48 - Supermarine Scimitar by DB Model Kits (DBMK) - 3D renders+3D printed test parts+schemes - release in 2024 ?

Homebee

Thanks Jeffrey !

This is one of my dreams... A new tool 1/48th (?) Supermarine Scimitar F.1 plastic injected kit. But is this really for a model kit ?

Fingers-Crossed-Emoji.jpg

To follow.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/solentskymuseum/posts/10157882457477131

Here is a sneak-peek of Solent Sky's Supermarine Scimitar being digitally scanned at a secret location somewhere in Hampshire... stay tuned for more news about this and other top-secret projects coming soon!

259722237-10157882457412131-269545608241

Scimitar F.1  - XD332/194 preserved at Timsbury

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/scimitar/survivor.php?id=26

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48(?) - Supermarine Scimitar new tool kit in preparation ?

Not wishing to dampen anyones spirit, but has anyone considered that this is nothing to do with a model kit and is, instead, the museum doing something museum related?

After all, I'm sure the manufacturer would rather release the news... 

59 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Not wishing to dampen anyones spirit, but has anyone considered that this is nothing to do with a model kit and is, instead, the museum doing something museum related?

After all, I'm sure the manufacturer would rather release the news... 

I wondered that too: many classic car owners get their vehicles scanned for restoration/recording. Scanning doesn't necessarily relate to modelling outputs.

But it might :)

If I remember the state of that Scimitar correctly there are quite few bits and pieces needed to be restored and the only way to restore them is to use the 3D technology... But if Airfix takes care of a 1/72 kit then scan away guys!!! :)

• Like 2

Well, I'm not alone to have noticed !!

Both in SMW 2017 and 2019, when I asked the Airfix team, they answered with a sort of "Wait a bit "

And now this !!

Fingers crossed, a 1/48 Scimitar is awaited for so long...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

If this is for a kit, it has to be Airfix.

However, except for a couple of one-offs, isn’t this a case of “you can have any colours you want as long as it’s extra dark sea grey over white”

• Like 2

Hardly a ‘secret location’ either. A quick google of the serial number XD332 says it’s an ex Helston/Flambards exhibit and now resides at Timsbury Abbey near Romsey in Hampshire. Hopefully to be part of a forthcoming museum.

Still great news if it is right tho’ I’m happy with either scale..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I have personally, never understood the fascination with an aircraft that it is, to me anyway, nothing more than a naval equivalent of the less than stellar Supermarine Swift.

I think Airfix should leave well alone. I can understand that maybe a handful of enthusiasts might be interested, that's it.

For me as a maker/collector of 1/48 FAA aircraft it fills a hole in my collection. 

Like the Sea Vixen limited schemes. Not a subject you would do multiples of.

Lets wait and see. But fingers crossed.

Dick 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I completely accept that but, with all due respect, I think that Airfix (or any manufacturer) might need a better reason than "filling a hole in a collection" before committing to investment?

John

Sorry ... just to clarify ... If there was one available at an affordable price great ...... if not I'm not going to loose sleep over it.  

Now a new Buc. or Spey Phantom ......different ball game. :worthy:;)

Dick

Edited by jenko
Not computer literate
  • Like 1